Introductions here please!

Hi tried to register and was surprised to find I was a member a few years back. It was during a time when my other desktop passed away and I forgot about this forum.

I am retired and so are my two remaining horses. The coming 26 yr old is IR/Cushings, along with some other issues; he has been in my pasture 15 years. The 27 yr old is still pretty healthy and could easily hack 4-5 hours if I could still ride; he has been with me 25 years.

I am in the SE United States and am so fortunate to have been able to retire on 25 acres. We do nearly all of our own maintenance and it takes a lot longer than it used to, lol

(Re) introduction.
Hi all, I was a member on here for a while a few years back. I had a fell pony, Star who I lost in 2018 to laminitis brought on by cushings, she reacted badly to Prascend and I had to have her pts.
I now have Mylo who has just turned 10, I bought him as a six year old when Star became ill.
we have had our ups and downs over the last three years, but he is a real character and i love him, even though he will never replace Star. (I never say that to his face).

Anyway, I am currently out of action, 12 weeks and counting due to a dislocated knee, caused by my oaf of a dog running into me. Recovery is going slowly and I may be out of the saddle for a while yet, so came back on here for tips and ideas for when I return to riding and also it’s a good way to waste my time and get through these long boring days.

I recognise a lot of names on here still, so will slowly catch up with what you are all doing now x

Sorry about the dog injury. I had a local riding friend (about my only one) who had to stop riding after she was bumped into by dogs. I hope you heal well and can get back in the saddle.
I dont remember your name but I could barely ride when I first came on NR, Now I am all grown up as a rider and have outlived two horses, I now have a third share mare, an Irish horse, to hack solo in the most lovely hacking country.

Reactions: Myfellpony
Sorry about the dog injury. I had a local riding friend (about my only one) who had to stop riding after she was bumped into by dogs. I hope you heal well and can get back in the saddle.
I dont remember your name but I could barely ride when I first came on NR, Now I am all grown up as a rider and have outlived two horses, I now have a third share mare, an Irish horse, to hack solo in the most lovely hacking country.
I remember you well Skib, love reading your posts, you have had such an interesting life. Glad to hear you’re still riding.

Hlo, I am a newbi both in terms of here and riding so I will be on the new rider threads most often.
A few weeks before my 51st birthday I decided I was finally going to start towarn, having thought about it for years.
I finding it slow going but enjoying it.
Andrea

Reactions: Skib and Huggy
It is wonderful to know that several people are starting to ride in their 50s and 60s. When I did that, it was the age at which some riders were giving up horses. Slow going is safe and not to worry about it. It is enjoying each ride as it comes that is the most important.
And especially during Covid the contact with a horse and the exercise seems more precious than ever.

Reactions: Huggy and Andcow
Slow is good, age immaterial, enjoyment everything! Hope you have many fun years in the saddle!

It is wonderful to know that several people are starting to ride in their 50s and 60s. When I did that, it was the age at which some riders were giving up horses. Slow going is safe and not to worry about it. It is enjoying each ride as it comes that is the most important.
And especially during Covid the contact with a horse and the exercise seems more precious than ever.
I just wish I had done it sooner when my balance and strength were better lol.

I just wish I had done it sooner when my balance and strength were better lol.
Balance is important for riding. But you can work on that.

After I had a serious op, OH and I bought and used wi fit, recommended at that time by eml, an RI on this forum. The wi fit kit includes a balance board. But the tech set up etc is a bother and one doesnt get the benefit of fresh air.

But we have been doing some balance exercises too, standing on one leg (use a door frame for safety) . There are probably exercises on the NHS wewbsaite though I havent looked. Mine date from when I broke my right ankle.

My ankles were the main problem in returning to ride after covid so again I did some exercises from the NHS to strengthen them.
OH and I did Joe Wickes senior work outs during lock down (free on You tube) and we liked those a lot.

There are three ways to think of riding. First as a competitive sport and yes you need to be fit and have strength for that.
Then as a leisure activity, expensive but a health benefit.
Lastly as therapy, fine even for disabled people with little body strength.
My doctor daught told me that when one sits on a horse, one's body muscles make hudreds of unconscious adjustments to keep one in the saddle.
So I guess what I am saying is that one doesnt need to be fit to ride a horse. It is the riding that helps keeps one fit.

The other factor (of course) is weight. I come from a family where women tend to be obese. I have to watch my weight constantly. My GP set me a weight target and I have 7 lbs to lose before I get back there. But being over weight after lock down didnt stop me getting back in the saddle. It has stopped me wearing my posh riding boots and my best denim riding breeches.

When you come to a forum or start riding later in life, it is easy to picture everyone else as perfect. But we are not. And it is important that you have an RI who opens up possibilities for you rather than dwells on the negatives.

Balance is important for riding. But you can work on that.

After I had a serious op, OH and I bought and used wi fit, recommended at that time by eml, an RI on this forum. The wi fit kit includes a balance board. But the tech set up etc is a bother and one doesnt get the benefit of fresh air.

But we have been doing some balance exercises too, standing on one leg (use a door frame for safety) . There are probably exercises on the NHS wewbsaite though I havent looked. Mine date from when I broke my right ankle.

My ankles were the main problem in returning to ride after covid so again I did some exercises from the NHS to strengthen them.
OH and I did Joe Wickes senior work outs during lock down (free on You tube) and we liked those a lot.

There are three ways to think of riding. First as a competitive sport and yes you need to be fit and have strength for that.
Then as a leisure activity, expensive but a health benefit.
Lastly as therapy, fine even for disabled people with little body strength.
My doctor daught told me that when one sits on a horse, one's body muscles make hudreds of unconscious adjustments to keep one in the saddle.
So I guess what I am saying is that one doesnt need to be fit to ride a horse. It is the riding that helps keeps one fit.

The other factor (of course) is weight. I come from a family where women tend to be obese. I have to watch my weight constantly. My GP set me a weight target and I have 7 lbs to lose before I get back there. But being over weight after lock down didnt stop me getting back in the saddle. It has stopped me wearing my posh riding boots and my best denim riding breeches.

When you come to a forum or start riding later in life, it is easy to picture everyone else as perfect. But we are not. And it is important that you have an RI who opens up possibilities for you rather than dwells on the negatives.
Thanks for the reply. I am having PT sessions and focusing on my core as that's rubbish. Years of hip flexor issues and a broken elbow on my right have affected strength on that side but I do walk miles and did used to run.. getting my weight down aftwr lockdown is proving quite a trial though.
I think I just thought I would have moved a little further after 10 to 12 lessons but I am still stuck at mastering rising trot, in particular managing to keep the horse going by using my legs at the same time as going round in the trot. I think next session tomorrow I am on a different horse that is more responsive so it will be good to see if that helps. I am hoping for a less bouncy one too as the one I am on normally has a natural bug bouncy stride lol

Reactions: Huggy
Hi, I’m Christine. I don’t own a horse, and don’t even ride currently. But I’m hoping to soon, and am thirsty for knowledge and equestrian conversation. I first began riding as a young adult, when I was able to pay for lessons myself. I started lessons three times, and each time was only able to ride for a period of months before I had to stop for financial reasons, or a move. So, I’m not a complete novice, but would definitely still consider myself a beginner. The longest and most recent stretch of lessons I took was in dressage back in 1998!! My 11 year old son expressed a lot of interest in riding, and we started him on lessons at the beginning of this year. Since then, my itch to get back on a horse has been growing and growing, and I’ve finally put my name down on the wait list for lessons at his stable, which does hunter/jumper. So I’m a 46 year old mother of two who just wants to learn—skills, terminology, tack, technique, equestrian care, as much as I can. And who knows? Maybe someday I’ll be in a financial position to buy one of my own.

Hi. I have been riding for 5 years now and I own a 15yr old, 14hh mustang named Abe. I am thinking about moving and am thinking about going horse shopping for maybe 1-2 more horses.

Hi, I’m Christine. I don’t own a horse, and don’t even ride currently. But I’m hoping to soon, and am thirsty for knowledge and equestrian conversation. I first began riding as a young adult, when I was able to pay for lessons myself. I started lessons three times, and each time was only able to ride for a period of months before I had to stop for financial reasons, or a move. So, I’m not a complete novice, but would definitely still consider myself a beginner. The longest and most recent stretch of lessons I took was in dressage back in 1998!! My 11 year old son expressed a lot of interest in riding, and we started him on lessons at the beginning of this year. Since then, my itch to get back on a horse has been growing and growing, and I’ve finally put my name down on the wait list for lessons at his stable, which does hunter/jumper. So I’m a 46 year old mother of two who just wants to learn—skills, terminology, tack, technique, equestrian care, as much as I can. And who knows? Maybe someday I’ll be in a financial position to buy one of my own.
Welcome to NR, Christine!

Hello all! I'm in the process of looking for a horse, I've taken a ten month riding break but have been riding many different horses for five years off and on. I ride english, dabbled in hunter lessons, and I love trail riding. My most recent time back on a horse from the ten month break was monday for a trail! I was looking for another forum to roll around in, especially since I've started becoming more serious about finding a horse. Glad to be here!

newrider.com