diary of a nervous novice's lessons

Thanks both. I will get some better pics as soon as I can. I took one rather ropey one today and have tried to put it in my profile but I'm not sure I succeeded.
Anyway had a lovely day. Groomed flicka and spent quite a lot of time getting to know her. Generally she is a lovely, inquisitive polite girl. She doesn't like her ears being touched but she is getting better. I managed to convince her to let me once and that was the first time i've spent much time with her. And I watched her being ridden. She is green (kept sticking her tongue out - apparently to avoid the bit) but she was very good, spooking very little despite the high winds. So our adventure has begun...

I have to discipline myself or this post could ramble on! Maybe I will have to put my adventures with Flicka in a separate thread...
Anyway, last night I had a lesson. It was fine. It was very windy and the school was banging about like no-ones business. I was with the same woman I rode with last time, who is lovely, and quite similar to me as regards nerves etc. She is also part of the friends of Flicka club!
I felt a bit bad as I rode Star, who is as safe as houses and she rode Bea - who was a bit scared by all the flapping and banging. She did really well with her but I think I'm slightly more experienced so should probably have volunteered for Bea. Still I felt I rode Star reasonably well - didn't get her going forward enough but she did keep going in the pace I'd asked for (she doesn't always).
Then we both watched Flicka being lunged. She was really pulling against my RI - racing around. When they finished she was drenched in sweat.
Then this morning I went down and mucked Flicka out, gave her a bit of a groom, and then my RI showed me how to loose school her in the round pen. Although my RI was with me the whole time it was me that did it all. Can't really believe that a great big baby horse walked, trotted, cantered and stopped on my voice instruction alone. I had to wave the whip once or twice but it was really mainly voice. It was fantastic :smile: I'm doing it all again tomorrow morning and then next week I might try going solo with the round pen.
Poor Flicka though she is very nervous. When I was grooming her i needed her to move over so I wasn't squished against the wall. I asked her to move by pushing her shoulder and saying over. She shot right over to the other side of the stable away from the hay she had been enjoying munching and it took ages to convince her she could come back, that I had only wanted room to breathe not to stop her eating.

No lesson this week but I am going to indulge myself with a bit more of my adventures with Flicka. Arrived this morning to find my poor RI limping where Flicka had booted her! :poop:
RI said she hadn't been concentrating on Flicka while trying to clean a sore spot on her bum so hadn't noticed Flicka signalling she'd had enough. Still - added to my nerves a bit seeing my lovely RI limping about.
BUT. RI came with us down to round pen and then left me to get on with it. Initially Flicka was cantering around kicking out and I was quietly :poop: myself! I was convinced she was doing it far more than on previous occasions with RI present, but afterwards I thought that might have all been in my mind.
After a few minutes though she calmed down and I got her to WTC and halt on both reins using my voice :smile: Then I took her back to the yard on my onio. Got back to find men on the roof of the prefab flapping a massive piece of plastic around. Flicka froze to the spot eyes on stalks. But someone asked the men to stop and helped me convince her to walk forward. Then I had to put her in another box she hadn't been in before and she planted again. I was trying to hold door open and convince her to go through and had to ask for help again! But RI held door and in she went. Then I managed to walk her back to her box and give her a rather brief groom. The men on the prefab were hammering and drilling and Flicka was a bit jumpy. So I decided discretion was the better part of valour (when didn't I?!) and gave her a quick brush put her rug on and left her to it.
Tomorrow I have to do it all again without RI being about. Hope the men on the roof have gone!

So just in the interest of making this an honest account. Today - Lovely day! Men on the roof nowhere to be seen. But I didn't free school Flicka (cluck, cluck chicken etc). But I'm not going to beat myself up over it. Its early days I've got years to build my confidence with her. It was my first time on the yard without any supervision (I mean there are people around but they're not looking after me or Flicka!) and I did all the other day to day tasks, gave her plenty of tlc etc. And she is being ridden later today so didn't need the exercise. I left a note for her rider to make sure she knew she hadn't been exercised yet.

Next week I'll be back to lessons so this diary might be slightly less boring for anyone who reads it. :tongue: This week my RI is on holiday. She knows me, bless her, and gave me no wriggle room - she would not be at the stables on my days as she was visiting her daughter and Flicka had to be exercised or it wasn't fair on those riding her. Turning her out was not enough - I had to take her in round pen! So... today I took her in the round pen. I got someone to walk down with me and stand outside for moral support. But I did it and she was good! Both when I halted her to turn her and at the end she kind of took a few paces towards me in the middle which RI said she shouldn't do. Sadly it wasn't because she loves me but because she wanted her treat! But I have to try and stop her doing that tomorrow, I guess leading her back to track before she gets treat. But otherwise all good.

Well done you. It's always different going things yourself without guidance. Clever idea to take someone down with you for moral support, always nice to have another pair of eyes and hands even if not needed. I always find it keeps me a bit more chilled to have someone else around.

I think it's sensible to stick to doing a range of 'bite sized' exercises with Flicka while you gain confidence with her, and she with you. I was USELESS when I first dealt with my p/t share on my own. It seemed to take me forever to do anything, and I would get worried about the simplest of things I knew full well how to deal with in normal circumstances. I worried about catching, tacking up, leading out. moving other horses. Not to mention the saddle being the right place!

Be prepared to be nervous and faffy with stuff you would not normally give a thought to. Over time, the more you do things it all falls into place.

It all sounds very exciting - your RI is doing a good job of making you do just enough and not too much. You'll be fine. Keep up the diary............

Thanks Selside. That is it exactly what I'm like - I am worrying needlessly about things I can do in my sleep... And then I go all jittery and useless.
I agree about bite-sized chunks. I took someone with me for moral support to keep me calm - because I really don't want her picking up that i'm scared when she is looking to me for leadership. For the same reason I don't want to over-face my pathetic nervous nellie self! So my goals for tomorrow are to repeat today but make sure she goes back to the track before getting a treat. And then to come back in the evening and give her a good groom...
I know its small stuff - but it makes me happy...

Today I did the whole round pen thing without any assistance or moral support. Flicka was great and she stayed on the track when I asked her to stand. Although once or twice she did make her circles a bit smaller and kind of turned her head to look at me as if to ask if it was okay to come in closer (it was v muddy around the edge). I sort of stepped towards her and tapped the whip on the ground saying out. I think I kind of looked at her bum at the same time. It worked, but I'm not sure I was doing it right. She never came off the track at all with my RI so I was improvising! It didn't matter in itself that she came a bit off the track but I did feel she was testing me to see what was allowed and as I don't want her coming close at speed (although we only did w+t today I thought it was too boggy for canter and she didn't seem keen) I thought I'd better lay down rules that she had to stay on the edge. Hope that breathless explanation makes sense!

Oh - and I'd run out of the treats my RI had given me so tried her on polos - poor girl was disgusted and kept spitting them out and demanding to know where the proper treats were. And there was me thinking all horses liked polos...

But all in all I'm pretty chuffed with our green on green baby steps! :wink:

First lesson in an age tonight. I was too tense (always am after a gap) but Chester was a sweetie. Tomorrow back down to play with Flicka a bit more...

Your ground work sounds great! very interesting. I am quite interested how I was able to do it (not in round pen loose schooling), and young grand daughter.

How strange that horses accept a communicative gesture from anyone so long as humans have taught them and the intent is there?

This is not to belittle what you did. But it is so astonishing that it happens.

Oh Skib I agree. It is just amazing! Although today she was a bit slow to respond to my commands but she still did after a few times of asking. I staggers me that this great big animal will go where you ask, at the speed you ask, just because you ask!

Good lesson tonight. Three of us for the first time in ages - and no-one else using the school. For the first time ever I was wearing a body protector - loaned to me by one of the other women in the lesson as she had just bought a new one. It probably didn't fit perfectly but I think it helped me keep my shoulders back! I got Chester on the correct leg in left lead canter first time. I totally failed to get him to canter a 20 metre circle but I had a fight with him about it and didn't feel scared or wet when he was playing up. Best though was sitting trot, I really felt like a cowboy (or a dressage rider) leaning back (i.e. upright!) and effortlessly following Chester v. bouncy trot. Yeeha!

You really are making wonderful progress and the round pen work will help so much with confidence on the ground and in the saddle.

The canter will come in time as for the BP they can help give that little bit of extra confidence.

Thanks Obc that is very kind. I could get him to canter okay - but not to circle - he was determined to bomb to the back of the ride!
Had another little go in round pen this morning. Flicka was definitely challenging me a bit more. On her left rein (which she doesn't like) she kept looking in at me and also coming off the edge a bit. I had read bitsnpieces 'I grew some' post and was trying to combine pointing the whip at her bum and looking her firmly in the eye (like I was the apex of a triangle with her??) Kept her on the left rein that way for another 5 minutes but she did eventually turn - and at that point I let her. Next time will not let her away with that!

Really good lesson last night. I was on Chester again and he was in a forward going mood - and it was great. He often offers this weird little rocking horse canter instead of trot he did it a couple of times but I had no problem getting him to trot. And cantering he went on the correct rein each time and didn't do his high-speed wizz to the back of the ride. Not sure if it was me or him (think it was him) but I felt pretty confident, comfortable and in charge.

Then the round pen with Flicka this morning. On the right rein she kept looking challengingly at me when I asked her to trot. I kept right on after her. Then she tried to turn straight back onto her right rein when I'd turned her to the left. I said stand went up to her and turned her right back and she then stayed on the left rein (although I didn't do too long as I wanted to stop with her firmly under my control). Not a big deal but I was proud of myself for asserting myself! And then RI managed to pick all four of her feet up and spray them with disinfectant spray (still can't pick out) while I held her head and fed treats at appropriate moments.
So a good day - and now I have to do some work!

No lesson this week but a few steps backward with Flicka in the round pen. She freaked out a bit when we first got in there, leaping about on the end of the lead rope. I was pleased with myself because I stayed calm held on and said sta-and - and she did!
But she did not want to play, it took ages to get her to trot, and everytime she did she would turn challengingly towards me, and then go back to walk after less than one circuit of the pen. I was being firm (I think) but she just wouldn't keep trotting. I didn't want to touch her with the whip as RI said not to, it freaks her out, so I was a bit at a loss. I kept it short and when I got her trotting the last time, I asked her to walk before she conked out so as to try and create the illusion I was in charge! I think part of the problem may be that I am the only one who takes her in the round pen - RI tends to go for traditional lunging. So round pen work is something she only associates with me, and she is gradually seeing what she can get away with. I am going to ask RI to come in with me next week I think, to give me some tips.
Oh - and I bought her one of those multi-sided treat balls and she loves it! Clever girl grasped immediately grasped the idea, and was systematically giving it a push with her nose and then searching the area for treats when I left.

I had a lesson last week but didn't have time to post (or play with Flicka) as I had to go away for work immediately aftewards.
Anyway, in lesson RI told me she wants me to go in for my PRT 6 again. This involves riding two different horses - a forward going one and a slow coach. So last week I started on Star (the slow coach) which was fine, but then switched to tiny speedy Bea (13.2). I used to love her but hadn't ridden her in ages and it was a bit of a shock. Not so much the speed as the turn on six pence quality she has and the incredible bounciness of her trot! Did okay but not passing test okay. Rode her again this week and was much better, but my sitting trot without stirrups was a bit in and out. RI says 'relax, sit back a bit more' and me going 'I know but she is like a pneumatic drill - it aint that easy!' . But one of the other girls said they had ridden the lovely cob Chester as their forward going horse in the same exam. So I am going to try him next week and see if I can sit like a cowboy again!
For my slow horse in this week's lesson I rode a little chap called Danny, a real character. He refuses to go forward with too much contact on the reins, you have to ride him completely off seat and legs. I found him a nightmare! Managed to w,t,c (more than when I last rode him a couple of years ago - I don't think we moved!) but I couldn't get him to canter a 20M circle for love or money, in fact it was hard to keep him on the track! He is definitely a good training aid for me, but I not riding him in any tests in the near future!
And then my RI came in the round pen this morning with me and Flicka. Flicka was better this morning (probably just cos Julie was there but also cos ground was so hard whip made a satisfying thwack noise on ground) but RI said I'm doing it right and just need to stick at it, no need to hit with whip but just get a bit closer to her to get her going. So that was a nice confidence boost.
Sorry I've written a long boring book!

good lesson last night, overall anyway. I enjoyed riding Chester. At one stage he bombed off with me and RI said I did get a bit tense as a result, I'm sure my body did, but I didn't feel very tense or nervous - so I guess that is some progress. Can't really see me passing this exam - but I am going to try and give it a go (and think positive!):tongue:

I've not updated this for a couple of weeks. So a brief resume - had a good lesson last week and then had my PRT part 6 on Friday. Failed! But... I examiner did say I'd improved but still didn't appear confident enough. So I'm determined to be more assertive.
Last night I had a lesson on Danny - who is the little cob I rode a few weeks ago who I could not get to canter a circle to save my life! I didn't even try that last night but I did much better of him overall - when he started arsing about - putting in little bucks and going backwards - I was much quicker to use the whip, made sure I didn't tense with my hands - and he decided to do what I wanted. After that he was a little cutie.
Then today I had the chance to wriggle out of freeschooling Flicka as my RI had already done stuff with her today. But I had planned to do it, and I've decided it is really bad for me to let my brain talk me out of doing things. So I went down and did it - I was assertive when she tried to turn and when she tried to stop and eat grass - and again she was a sweetie just went 'okay, okay if you've decided you really are the boss I'd better do it hadn't I?'
So these are baby steps - but I am feeling DETERMINED!

newrider.com