diary of a nervous novice's lessons

Thanks bitsnpieces it is very kind of you to keep trying to help me get a grip and stop being so self-critical! I know I should have a) not whined about being scared b) not swapped and instead calmed Bea down... but I could feel how tense and scared I was (oh those rigid shoulders!) and I knew she would only calm down if I relaxed - and it just felt beyond me to do it.
Never mind - I rode in the howling wind on the first really cold day with a strange scary horse in the arena - as a result both horses were a bit wound up and went ping - and I didn't fall off! There I'm looking on the bright side :biggrin:

There is actually no harm in saying you're scared or swopping! Especially when you're starting out, sometimes it's better to give it a go for a bit, so you've had some exposure to it and then take the pressure off. Sometimes even just admitting that you're scared a) takes the pressure off you as you aren't bottling it up and ending up even more scared as you're also worried about admitting it and b) helps the RI get you through it.

Good to see you've taken some positives from the lesson :wink:

I lost my confidence horrendously at one point (my lovely little Bianca - who I think is still there? helped me get it back), just getting on a horse would have me shaking with fear and fighting back tears. Noel was my main instructor by then and had taught me when I was at my most confident (I don't know if you ever met him?) but he had me reciting Shakespeare lines back at him whilst doing exercises so it took my mind of the fact that I was petrified and also kept me breathing! So sometimes it takes all sorts and we've all been there....but it does get better :)

It actually isnt compulsory to be frightened in riding lessons. It is a bad time of the year with wind and weather and a lot of the horses are quite nervy. But both my OH and grand daughter learn at an RS where the situation would have been dealt with - e.g. by putting you on the lunge.
There is an enormous contrast between the average riding school where students are scared and the RI hopes for the best and ones - they do exist - where they never are.
It was great that your seat was good enough to sit a buck into canter - but would it have hurt not to canter this week? It is not your fault Sophie -

Thanks both of you. Very reassuring to hear you have been through nerves and got better bitsnpieces! Bianca is an angel. I rode her when I first started at Aldersbrook, she is just saintly even if she does hate other horses. And yes Noel was still around when I started, I hear he is a full-time Shakespearian actor these days.
I know you are right Skib, but I do want to gradually push my boundaries. I want to be able to hack out confidently - and that means learning to deal with things like what happened last night. I had been getting gradually less scared, but seem to have had a relapse...
To be fair to my RI she would not have asked me to canter again on Bea, I think, but she was not expecting Kas to play up as well! But she will always accept it I say 'no' to doing things - after Kas peeed off with me - I said sorry that is it for me tonight - I will do a bit of walk to cool Kas down but that is it! (As it turned out our time was up anyway)

Nice lesson last night. Three of us in the lesson and all on sane horses! I was on Star who is about as sane as you can get. In a sense it was a regression that I was riding her again, as she is the original steady neddie, but I was glad I did because that meant I wasn't as ridiculously nervous and could concentrate more on riding.
Last night it was below freezing and there were two private horses sharing the school with us, the dressage diva who has been in with us in previous weeks and a very young half-schooled mare - I would have been nervous on another horse. And although Star did stop and require a lot of leg to be convinced to move again on more than one occasion - overall I kept her going reasonably well, certainly better than I could have done a year ago. And on another plus point I felt my rising trot was much better. I normally do mainly sitting trot on Star as rising seems to irritate her, but last night I felt I was doing it right and Star seemed to agree!

Nice lesson last night. Three of us in the lesson and all on sane horses! I was on Star who is about as sane as you can get. In a sense it was a regression that I was riding her again, as she is the original steady neddie, but I was glad I did because that meant I wasn't as ridiculously nervous and could concentrate more on riding.

Sophie, riding a steady neddy isn't a sign of regression (or if is then I must regress every other week or so :giggle: )

When I get a a horse like that, I work hard on making them work well, going forward and not letting them nap. I rode a rs plod a few weeks ago and he was whizzing round, giving a cheeky buck in exceitment. The ri was amazed as she had never seen this side of him.

Whatever you ride, whether it be whizzy and forward going or a teady neddy, there will always be something to learn or perfect (and if not, just enjoy it as it is a hobby which means enjoyment :wink: )

Thanks all three of you, you are so nice to bother to read and comment on my little reports! And I'm really glad you enjoy reading them Skib, as I love reading your comments on my thread and others, you are always so thought provoking.
Well done NJ - I didn't quite get Star giving little bucks of excitement! Maybe next time...

Well last lesson before Christmas. I squashed it in before the office Christmas party and then arrived with hay in my hair and smelling slightly of horse!
My normal RI had a well-earned day off, so another instructor, Rikki, was teaching us. She basically took guidance from us about what we wanted to do. I was on Chester, and I said at the beginning that I'd been feeling nervous the last few weeks and didn't want to push myself, and then for some reason I wasn't nervous at all! I didn't tell Rikki that though and enjoyed taking things at my own pace. It was really noticeable though that I rode better than I have for weeks - got Chester on the correct canter leads, sat his trot easily - all because I wasn't tense!
Rikki is leaving soon and she is looking for someone to loan or share her horse. She said Julie had mentioned me but Stephen - the other instructor said he is strong and puts in massive bucks for fun - so he thought I'd lose confidence on him. Julie hasn't mentioned him to me so I guess she has drawn the same conclusion. Of course i came away from last nights lesson feeling good, and thinking well maybe i should ask Julie about sharing this horse.... but now sitting at my desk with a hangover I'm coming back to my senses! :tongue:

That's great news! Very often we are the one's that put the most pressure on ourselves, so just by saying "I'm feeling xxx" it can relieve a lot of that pressure.

Just a thought....you've mentioned a few times now about thinking about sharing etc, why don't you have a look on a few tack shop noticeboards and see if there is anyone about who needs a sharer? That way you can take your time in finding the right horse to compliment your current stage of riding? There are lots of DIY yards in the Loughton/Epping area, so I'm sure there are plenty who would be in need of a little help? ....just a thought :)

Thanks bitnpieces, it is a good idea, I will give it some thought over Christmas. I am very attached to Aldersbrook - not least because it is so convenient for me - I live in Upton Park and work in Leytonstone - the stables are slap bang in the middle. But on the other hand I would love a share I could go hacking on....
Have a good Christmas!

Hi all! Happy New Year! Good lesson tonight. RI (normal one again) said 'you must have a good Christmas you seem relaxed tonight'. I did have a good Christmas but I don't know if that is the cause, but it pleased me anyway. And I have started looking around for a possible share. Will let you know how I get on...

And a good lesson again. This time I had a woman of around my age and ability in the lesson with me. It was really nice actually, so I hope she decides to ride in that lesson again. I was back on Kas, the great big schoolmaster who scared me before Xmas. I was a bit worried about pushing him on at first incase he went ping, but he was as good as gold and I got over it, even cantered without stirrups for the first time in ages. So all in all I was pleased :biggrin:

No lesson this week. I had been quietly worrying about the snow because it really scares the horses when it slides off the school roof. But (whew!) my RI told me to leave it this week as the slow was sliding really badly so they were cancelling all evening lessons (when lights are on so snow more likely to slide).
RI also told me that the horse I mentioned a couple of months ago is now for sale. It is possible she will buy her because she has fallen in love with her, and thinks she would make a great horse with some tlc, but is worried that she will just keep getting sold on because of her current problems. She has obviously been treated badly in the past, is quite headshy and also doesn't easily lift her feet. However, RI has already improved both problems a lot.
But... RI couldn't afford all the ongoing costs so asked me if I'd be up for a share if she does end up buying her. I said yes. On the one hand it is rash because I'd be spending money on a horse who is still very green. On the other hand I'd get to bond with a lovely mare, help sort out her problems under my RI's expert tutelage, and hopefully would eventually be able to hack her out.
None of it may come off, but I am quite excited. Will keep you posted...

Ooh that really sounds interesting. You have taken a brave step in saying yes anyway. Even if this particular possibility doesn't work out you've demonstrated that you are seriously interested in getting more involved with a horse. That could lead to other things. The situation of working in combination with your RI seems ideal as you will have support there and you won't feel the full weight of responsibility yourself.

(I am also inching towards a potential share situation. Neither party has mentioned the 's' word yet as we are cautious old biddies and are dancing around the subject not wanting to be pushy. When the snow finally goes away we may get something going.)

I will keep my fingers firmly crossed for you.

Sounds good Selside, hope it works out...
I'll keep you posted on mine. I think you are right, if this one doesn't happen, RI will bear me in mind for future sharing possibilities. The mare seems lovely though, so I kind of hope it does work out with her. Won't get my hopes up too much though. I think RI is mostly worried about her getting a good home, so if an appropriate, knowledgeable buyer turns up will probably be happy to let her go...

I think I've managed to put links to a couple of pictures of her below. I'm going to spend the day at the stables tomorrow, so hope to get to know her a bit. As well as my RI, who has bought her, two girls who ride her current horse are going to be riding Flicka plus, once she has brought on enough, myself and another woman. So she is a group affair. I won't be getting to ride her for a while, I think, but that is fine. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to some grooming and getting to know her, plus watching the experts ride...

http://flic.kr/p/dPLtPB

Very exciting! Nice as a 6 yo she will be getting plenty of experience with different riders until she settles and starts to come on. A great way to get started with a share. Hope your day up there with her goes really well.

I always really enjoy watching other people riding - no matter what standard they are. You will be getting on her in no time.

DO try and get some better pics of her when you can (if RI doesn't mind). I love to get a closer look.

newrider.com