Chunky Monkey gang

I'm so sorry to read this @chunky monkey . My immediate reaction is always "there must be something to be done" but I know that quite often there isn't. Whatever comes of it, I hope you can see it through and find a solution that works for you and your animals. Thinking of you.

Do you have a local Councillor or MP to whom you could go for help to discuss tbe situation? I know nothing about farming but civil servants and teachers and hospital workers can often turn to their union. Is it that they want you to increase herd size and if so would a bank loan be needed?

Ouch. When you work with animals that phrase being swept off your feet can happen in the literal sense. Boy dont i know it tonight.
Went to check and feed the sheep this evening. The little so an so's were being so impatient for the food they took my feet out from underneath me. Down i went. Unfortunately i didnt land on the grass. I went down onto the feed trough. Landing across it jut below my waist. Im suffering a bit just now.

Personally i blame the lousy weather forecasters. Ive been finding the sheep are getting more impatient the last couple of weeks. Theres only 16 adults and 19 lambs but once the lambs get older and start getting more demand for the food as a large group it gets a bit much feeding so many. So i like to split them. I was planning on doing it this weekend but i need to apply there fly treatment prevention to and reworm them. Fly prevention treatment can only be done when dry. Moving them to various fields means its not easy to just run them back to the yard and not having a working dog makes it more work for my little legs. I had the opportunity of extra help to run them up the road to home and do it today but as the forecasts were all showing rain and heavy, i decided it couldnt be done. The fly treatment needs a minimum of 6 hours before rain. Well one forecast said 2pm, another said 4pm, one 5pm and one 8pm. Well here we are at 11pm and still nothing. If id have known it wasnt going to rain at all id have gone ahead and got them up to treat and split the sheep. This little accident could have been avoided. So i am definitely blaming the lousy forecasters. So now ive got to go another week and risk being swept off my feet again till i can get help and hope the forecast is good next weekend.

• Wow
Reactions: Trewsers
Ouch, thats gonna smart for a few days! Take care. The forecast is a nightmare at the minute, it said rain on and off all day here yesterday, we got nothing. The it said light rain overnight and it's been torrential, you can't win.

Had a long list of jobs lined up sheep and cow wise this weekend. Chunkys rider came to help me with the sheep this morning. Finally got there fly prevention on them, only taken a month + for the weather to be nice of a weekend for me to be able to do the job and all wormed bar the two big rams. Then moved around to the new grazing. There was no goodness left in the field they were in and mum ewes were really starting to loose weight and lambs seemed to be at a standstill growth wise. Well with what theyve gone onto now and a good wormer they should start to blossom again.
Fence tape and wire is more or less set up to channel the cows in off the common and onto our field. Either this evening or at some point tomorrow i hope they head round this side of the hill so i can pop them through. If i can move them on there venturing round to graze it makes life so much easier. I really dont fancy having to go and round them up tomorrow in this intense heat. Either way they have got to come in tomorrow as the vet is booked Mon and Thurs for the dreaded annual TB Test. We have also now been told by defra that our area is being put into the 6 monthly tb testing zone.
Thursday is d-day .... if they pass ive got some very rapid adverts and selling to do, if i cant sell them they have a one way ticket. If they fail well .... we havent worked that one out yet. As things have now come to a head over the lose of the common grazing and we have been given a date. We cant afford to hang around, clock is ticking. Im trying hard not to get upset over the whole business but all i can do now is the best for the animals.
Hoping our hay will be fit to bale tomorrow evening, so i will be loading hay trailers, bale bumping and whacking my head on the roof beams of the barn but i suspect it will be Monday looking at how green it still is. Should make some nice hay though.

Reactions: Jessey
Well i dont want to jinx things but for those that read about the cow saga. There might be a little bit of good news.

The cows did pass there TB test and i have advertised them. So many time wasters have crawled out the woodwork. But there might be a happy outcome for 'some' of my girls. Some people came to see me yesterday and we spent a couple of hours in the field and they were suitable impressed. The ladies were just fab. Showing just how lovely cows can be. So watch this space, its only 'some'.

The cows were also checked by the vet today to see if they were in calf. Some good news, some not so good, but actually it makes decisions easier and simple.

Keeping 🤞and there might even be an added bonus. Keeping 🤐 so i dont jinx it. Thats it for now.

A little update. A sad day but the people that came to see me last week decided to buy 4 of my cows. They have less land than i have, so couldnt buy too many. 3 are definitely in calf and one the vet wasn't sure about. Possibly having the human equivalent miscarriage, so reabsorbing the foetus but maybe still in calf. The people know this but decided to offer her a retirement home as she is one of the older cows. If she calves so be it.
They had been looking at buying some dexters for some time but not actually been up close to them, so coming and meeting my girls and getting among them they were convinced dexters were the way to go.

These people also have a friend that has some ground which is not being grazed currently. So they had been talking about getting some dexters and there friend was interested in some, so after they saw mine they convinced there friend to buy a few as well. So hes having 3 in calf.

So today they came to collect the cows. Unfortunately the trailer wasnt big enough to take all so they have got to do 2 trips. So are coming back in the week for the others. The people seem lovely and i think the cows will be well looked after. Not sure there going to have such glorious views, as im told the land is a flat as a pancake for miles.

I still have more to find homes for.

Thankyou. I think there mates are missing there friends. There was a bit of calling tonight between the girls in on my field awaiting collection and the ones still out on the hill.
Further development tonight too for the remaining ones for sale. It could be a really good outcome.

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
Well today was annual vaccination and teeth day. A different vet, not been with the practice long.

Chunky was a superstar and didnt need to be sedated. Back teeth had a bit of a hook and some sharp edges. For 26 she said he has good teeth. However the vet feels that his front tooth that is protruding is now causing issues. She can wobble it physically albeit with a bit of force. She couldnt get the clamps to fit on very well because of how far it is protruding out either. There is also some small signs of some trauma to the gum above it. She has recommended that it be removed for his comfort.

i will take another photo when i can. I know i took one a while back so it will be interesting to see how far out it has now come.

Billy was sedated for his teeth. No chance i was prepared to try without. A few sharp edges but nothing major.

The down side, i asked her to check Billys lameness before we sedated and she has said severely lame on the back left leg. She doesnt feel i should be riding him and has suggested bute twice a day. I asked if she thought he was lame on the front too, as i have my suspicions. She said she thinks he is lame front left but difficult to say without nerve blocking the hock. He could be lame or just over compensating for the back leg.
I have to make some decisions about his future. As the vet said when i told her about his quirkyness is it worth investing more money into him. Hes been lame now for two years. The previous veterinary advice was to continue to ride him as injurys such as his do better to be worked. The hope that over time the hock fuses, and whilst he would be lacking movement he would not be in pain. But the vet today feels that he is in pain. This one says no riding without further investigation and treatment.
Whilst he didnt seem to be tripping like he was last year i think i was still trying to convince myself that the exercise was the right way to go based on vet advice but i have been questioning his reluctance to trot when we start out on a hack and just saying that he needs more time to warm up the muscles. When it suits him he squels and bucks with excitement and is wanting to canter and my arms are pulled out there sockets.
When i tried to give him time off before in the field, within two weeks he was becoming dangerous and would spin round and kick out in excitement when i went to the field. He didnt respect my space so if i was near him i was likely to cop it sooner or later. So again vet said work him to stop the shenanigans which could do more harm to his injury. Chunky also had a nick across his nose and bite marks so again i think he was bored and took it out on chunky. Work from the brain perspective was the right thing to do but for his injury it clearly hasnt been.
Now i feel that i have no choice but to long term turn him away in hope that he might one day come sound. I really dont see any point in giving him more steroid injections or osphos which were only of short term benefit before wearing off on the previous attempts. He is company for chunky but if he becomes dangerous for me and chunks then i dont think he has a future with me as a field ornament.
The vet has suggested more xrays and to try ethanol injection to try and fuse the hock. I have no idea about this currently so its its something i need to read up about. I know there is something else that others have used but it is expensive from what i read and previously discussed with my vet. Dont think it was ethanol, unless it goes under another name. This vet said i really needed to discuss more with the practice about further treatment and any costs. So im not sure how gend up she is. The guy that previously dealt with Billy is no longer at the practice and is now only doing small animals at his practice so im in the hands of complete strangers now. With no continuity of his injury. Last year i had another woman vet who saw him for annuals and whilst we did a lameness check then other than more steroids or the expensive injection there wasnt anything else.
Right now i obviously dont know what to do. If he wasnt so quirky then it might be worth treating the leg and giving it a go. His quirks are because he is lame as hes had some of them since the day he arrived. Although after describing him today to the vet, the vet did make the point that injury, headshaking flinchy, bridling issues from a safety aspect, throwing wobbles at vehicles, are not a good combination and could land me in hot water one day. He has such a retentive memory that it could make him dangerous.
I ask myself if i turn him away long term would i be happy trying to bring him back into work in the future. Personally i dont think ive got it in me. I havent been happy about his excitable bucking either. It is shattering my nerves steadily. So to get back on him after time off could be a disaster too.
My brother actually said tonight was it worth spending the money having his teeth done, would i not be better to have him put down. Save my pennies and look for another horse. 8 said he still needed his teeth doing if he was going to have time off, but i got what he was saying. I said it wasnt fair on chunky to out him down just like that. As he was no longer on a yard, and whilst they werent bossom pals i think chunky would be lonely. Okay he can see the sheep and very soon he will be able to have cows daily for company too. But he has learnt to live with Billy over the last 5 years and he is top dog over him. Whilst chunky has spent long periods on his own when he was at the yard, he has become accustomed to billy. Was it also fair to introduce another horse to chunky at his age. I really dont want 3 horses either.

I had in my mind previously worked on the theory that if chunky supposedly made it to 30 (another 4 years). Billy would by then be 14 and if i had a few more years of light hacking before billy became arthritic then when it was chunkys time i would call time on billy too. Obviously thats 4 more years and realistically i dont think billy will come sound as hes been lame now for 2 years. Billy was supposed to be chunkys replacement but it really hasnt worked out that way. So i have a huge quandry now. I would still like to ride and drive whilst im still young enough. If i dont ride for 4 years then by the time the boys go as i say working on chunky making 30, i think i will have lost my nerve to ride. I certainly couldnt entertain having another quirky horse. Family have suggested i dont spend the money on Billy and start looking for another horse.
Equally im so broken with all the recent goings on and billys lameness and chunkys question mark over his back. The other part of me doesnt ever want to have another horse or to ride. Then again i think just keep the two horses going as company and lawn mowers and because i like having a horse, and find somewhere to ride and have lessons to get my horse riding fix.

Ive also got the added issue that chunky has this new rider and i now cant hack out with them. I cant ride chunky myself. It simply wouldnt be right. I dont trust the girl to hack chunky out on her own. I think she will trot him here there and everywhere and he'd become lame in no time. He has also experienced some lameness already in the front which could be injury but almost certainly is arthritis. So not sure what to do there. Shes been good for chunky and i think hes quite enjoyed going out again. Im not able to run currently with my painful hip either. I was contemplating getting another mountain bike but i dont want to spend money on that to find it also plays havoc with the hip. I might look into borrowing one to try it. At least i could go out with her. I couldnt manage with my hip even walking out on our normal 4 mile hack route. Chunky can still walk faster than human walking pace and if she want to trot i couldnt keep up at all to keep an eye. So another hurdle to over come with chunkys exercise.

Life is never simple.

We need a hugs button. It's so stressful when you get caught between a rock and a hard place like this.
When Jess was first lame she was a brat in the field and I found the wendals "calmer" very useful, it didn't make her dopey but did settle her down enough to stop the charging about and picking on everyone. She has now settled into the retired life and doesn't need it any more, but it was useful in that period of adjustment.
If you get stuck I'd let Dan come and keep Chunky company, he is the easiest, most inoffensive pony in the world and always bottom of the pecking order. Though thinking about it I'm not sure he would manage on all your lovely grass.

You're right, life is never simple. They are such hard choices and decisions. It's very individual and I'm sure you'll do what you can and hopefully come to the right choice for you. I've lived with two un-rideable horses for a long time (one was my choice as she came to be a companion only) and I'm lucky now that we have Zi who can be ridden (even though he was bought for Mr trews really). I like having them around, they are my friends / pets - whatever you want to call them. To me they are my little family and riding was only a small part of it with Storm (though I do miss riding her terribly, she fit me like a glove and I'm not sure I'll ever feel like that again on another horse). Sorry, waffling. Lots of kind thoughts and stuff to you. Difficult times.

Thanks @ jessey i have a soft spot for dan being coloured and hes always sounded like he is laid back and chilled like chunky. Im sure they would get along fine but it wouldnt work for me as id still have nothing to ride.
Is this what you used. I think i might try it.

I know what you mean @Trewsers. It seems so wrong to put a horse down thats only 9 years old. I dont want to have to and ive always known Billy has some lovely qualities in there. If like jess says i can get him over the silly spell maybe i can keep him as the companion for another horse. Id hoped that as he got older his silly antics would mellow and his nice side shine through but im still waiting. I really dont want to give up on him. Im just skeptical about spending huge amounts of money trying to bring him sound. I guess thats the farmer side of me coming through. Ive spent lots of money on the cows and sheep only to loose them in the past.

I feel like the turn away route is the way to go, i have to try it. If he doesnt settle in the field then i will get back on him but i will limit him to very short rides to the end of the road and back. Thats a mile and a half and try to do it every other day.
Im also going to speak to the vet about putting him on danilon rather than the equipalazone. I think he was sounder when he was on that and considering hes being ridden less at the moment im wondering if its working for him. Although chunky seems sound on it.
Im actually thinking about just booking some lesson over winter at some riding schools for my riding fix if i dont have to get back on Billy. It might do me some good to have some lessons.

Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
Is this what you used. I think i might try it.
Yep that's the one I used, I started out at full dose for a while then gradually tapered down to about half a dose for a while longer then found I didn't need it once she was in the swing of not working.

Reactions: chunky monkey
Havent done anything about booking the vet for chunkys tooth yet. Too much going on so i didnt want to give myself more stress.

Poor Abbey has taken a turn for the worse and we are struggling to get any food into her at all. Unfortunately what we did get into her came out the back end with vengeance yesterday. So lots of carpet washing. We are preparing ourselves to make the call.
Floss has taken a turn as well and ive put her on some antibiotics this week. Shes got lots of head tremours and tottery. Wondering if shes going to have another vestibular attack.

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com