Chunky Monkey gang

Oh dear, but yup if you’re narrow hadn’t of gotten fixed on time they’d have been popping out left right and centre!

The first sheep has lambed.
Wasnt the best start.
I called in the sheep shed on my way home from work. Ewe had not long lambed. One lamb up and on its feet, one lamb laid on its side looking in a bad way. Tiny, cold and not with it at all. Legs even looked deformed.
I made an instant decision to whip it away from mum, popped it in the car and drove home. Grabbed some towels to dry it and sat in the lounge in front of the fire to warm. Put my finger in its mouth. Slight suck reflex. Mum warmed up a drop of milk and i tried to get a bit down the hatch. Lived for an hour but has sadly passed away now.
Popped back down to check on mum and see if she'd had anymore. The other lamb is a little small but seems with it and feeding.
20210401_171641.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Last night was a mixed back. Went round to feed the cows yesterday morning, one youngster laid down, didnt get up. Eventually he did but seemed a bit quiet. The others were not hungry for there hay either. All seemed fine and eating Wednesday. But i had my suspicion, so walked round to see him at 7pm. All cows had moved to the lower section of field but he was laying down again. No attempt to get up as i walked to him. The rest of the cows came running over to us. Licking him and making a right din. As i walked away they continued to moo, almost saying where you going our mate aint right. Phoned home to say we need to get him back to the farm cant stay out. Walked the mile back home to collect vehicle and trailer and head collar. By the time we got back the other cows had gone off he was still laying where i left him. So we loaded him in the little sheep trailer and got him back to the farm. Hes now in the separate barn from the sheep. Gave him an antibiotic last night and monitoring for now, but no motions past. No food eaten. Going to be a vet visit or a bullet. Typical bank holiday.

Fed the sheep there evening feed, ewe i was expecting to lamb off her tea. So getting close. Carry on doing jobs, saw her paw the ground thought i need to do a late check on her. Few minutes later brother walks over and says i think youve got a sheep lambing, bag hanging out the back. We left her to it at 8.30. I popped back at 10, nothing. So i tied her up and put my fingers in, all present, im just going to pull this. Those horn buds feel big. So out it came. I put my hand back in a little way and felt another a little way in. So thought leave her for a bit. I really dont like to intervene in natures time. Went away, pooped back down at 11pm. Nothing, so fingers in again. Nose no legs. So hand in further. Ah legs but not in canal. So pushed the head back in pulled up both legs, reposition head, and out it came. So at that point i checked for anymore but nothing. The first lamb i expect given more time and straining, i think she could have passed but certainly not the 2nd one. Both lambs are good and strong.
Think i got to bed about 12.30 last night.

Reactions: Trewsers
Oh golly, very mixed bag. I hope the cow perks up, it does always seem to be Sunday night or bank holiday I need a vet, animals aren’t good at sticking to the working week!

Oh yes and for my efforts last night of trying to help the cow. He lashed out with the back leg when i tried injecting his antibiotics. Another one to give him tonight. Hope hes nicer about it. Has only passed one motion today, no food eaten though. I pulled him some ivy early, which he was eating when i left him. Will see when i go down shortly.
Sheep due today has performed yet.

All was quiet yesterday, one due but nothing at 9.30pm. So went to bed but set the alarm for 2am. They always wait. Checked over lambs,sprayed there cords, put some fresh bedding on the wet patch. Left her to it. Nice simple lambing just what i like. Back in bed by 2.30am.

20210403_021840.jpg

Lambing going well. Another twin and a single popped out yesterday.
My brother altered my little shed yesterday. Only waited 20 years. It use to be one of my goat sheds and the way it was set up for goats it had 5 pens in it. 3 one side and 2 the other, with a corridor in the middle. But it did work for sheep as they are bigger animals, so we took all the doors off and used as one large pen for years. The sheep would never use the 3 little pens though. I dont think they could turn round easily in them. So yesterday he altered the 3 pens, took out the two partitons and moved one to be more into the middle. So now i can have 2 sensible size lambing pens in the shed instead of one. Much better use of a shed. Only a mornings work.

Im getting a bit over tired and had to take a nap yesterday afternoon. So no riding again for me. My brother said he was going to chain harrow tomorrow. So i had to go out and finish moving the electric fencing about. Was still set up for the winter grazing paddocks but needs to all come down for summer haymaking. So ive started converting to make a track around the edge of the field which the horses can have on and off for a month or so. Its the bit under the hedge and trees so cant be cut easily so the horses might as well make use of it. Im not really a fan of track system so it will only be till July anyway. Will run right down to the bottom of the field where there is the natural spring water for them. I might even give them a section of wood at the bottom for sun shelter.

Lambing going well. Another twin and a single popped out yesterday.
My brother altered my little shed yesterday. Only waited 20 years. It use to be one of my goat sheds and the way it was set up for goats it had 5 pens in it. 3 one side and 2 the other, with a corridor in the middle. But it did work for sheep as they are bigger animals, so we took all the doors off and used as one large pen for years. The sheep would never use the 3 little pens though. I dont think they could turn round easily in them. So yesterday he altered the 3 pens, took out the two partitons and moved one to be more into the middle. So now i can have 2 sensible size lambing pens in the shed instead of one. Much better use of a shed. Only a mornings work.

Im getting a bit over tired and had to take a nap yesterday afternoon. So no riding again for me. My brother said he was going to chain harrow tomorrow. So i had to go out and finish moving the electric fencing about. Was still set up for the winter grazing paddocks but needs to all come down for summer haymaking. So ive started converting to make a track around the edge of the field which the horses can have on and off for a month or so. Its the bit under the hedge and trees so cant be cut easily so the horses might as well make use of it. Im not really a fan of track system so it will only be till July anyway. Will run right down to the bottom of the field where there is the natural spring water for them. I might even give them a section of wood at the bottom for sun shelter.
Have another nap, you sound busy and need the chances to nap.

Its all go. Another single overnight.

Fields all chain harrowed this morning. Had to go down and move all my polework and cones. Opportunity to put up a new layout for next use.

Reactions: Jessey
Another in progress this evening. One more due tomorrow then a few days break.

Got out for a little ride on Billy this afternoon after another afternoon nap. Only a couple of miles. Did feel nice in the sunshine.

Well they say they come in 3s. Ive had 3 in 3 weeks. Enough is enough.

Vets been out today to see poorly steer. Temperature normal to low. Rectal examination nothing but some jelly. Suspected blockage. We attempted to put a tube down into stomach to administer some liquid paraffin, but that was not successful. As soon as the tube was in everything started coming back up it. So couldnt even pump meds in to attempt to shift blockage. Had to stop or everything was in danger of coming back up and going into the lungs.
Short of further exploritive investigations to find out where the blockage is and surgery theres nothing that can be done. Which is just not viable. Hes comfortably for now, and we have arranged for the guy to come out tomorrow morning to put him down.

• Sad
Been rather busy these last few weeks. Lambing is going ok. Another 3 this week. I have taken some pictures and video. So will post when i get chance.

Jumped out of bed before 6 this morning. Had to get things set up to move cows and Bertie bull home, from the fields on the top of the hill. Hes having his TB test on monday. Time for him to find his new harem. So it was a case of doing it before all the walkers got up the hill. We arent supposed to have a bull on the hill so we were praying he was cooperative and stuck with the ladies. Well it didnt quite go to plan. Bertie couldnt keep up with the charging girls across the top. So they were gone and he was left on his own. Fortunately he followed me with a bucket of food. He was back home just after 7.30am so not too bad really. Was getting busy by then with the dog walkers.

Weve sorted out the hay barn this morning. The front wall goes for cattle feeding so weve put that to one side to use. Managed to sell the hay that we have left stored in the barn to a hay dealer. Theres a shortage round here so hes got no trouble selling it. 400 gone already in the last week, another 200 coming out later today. Probably another 200 next week, and my hay barn will be empty, ready for refilling in June.

Been rather busy these last few weeks. Lambing is going ok. Another 3 this week. I have taken some pictures and video. So will post when i get chance.

Jumped out of bed before 6 this morning. Had to get things set up to move cows and Bertie bull home, from the fields on the top of the hill. Hes having his TB test on monday. Time for him to find his new harem. So it was a case of doing it before all the walkers got up the hill. We arent supposed to have a bull on the hill so we were praying he was cooperative and stuck with the ladies. Well it didnt quite go to plan. Bertie couldnt keep up with the charging girls across the top. So they were gone and he was left on his own. Fortunately he followed me with a bucket of food. He was back home just after 7.30am so not too bad really. Was getting busy by then with the dog walkers.

Weve sorted out the hay barn this morning. The front wall goes for cattle feeding so weve put that to one side to use. Managed to sell the hay that we have left stored in the barn to a hay dealer. Theres a shortage round here so hes got no trouble selling it. 400 gone already in the last week, another 200 coming out later today. Probably another 200 next week, and my hay barn will be empty, ready for refilling in June.
You have been busy as always. Look forward to seeing pics when you have time. I hope Bertie enjoys his next job too! Just out of curiosity, would a bull be more likely to bother walkers? Where we used to live the cows could be pretty curious. I don't think our farmer had the bull loose on the footpath though. The highlands cows were quite nosey too.

I new id forgot something off my report. Worked more on my track this week. A bit more got done Friday and yesterday. Hoping to do more today. Its not quite straight forward as running a reel of wire all the way round as i need to still have access points through at the various gateways. So im using sections of wire that i have which takes some planning on what goes where. Honestly its like doing a jigsaw, but with wire.
Thought i was almost sorted with a complete wire circuit, then my brother comes along yesterday and says i can make the track wider so we can get the tractor, trailers and baler up and round come haymaking. So now my wires are too long on that part. Great for the horses as they will have more grass to eat. Once the wire circuit is in i just need to bang in about 10 wooden posts for corner stability. Its a lot of planning but as it will be up for several months it will be well worth the effort. My fencing paddocks i set up last August were up until a few weeks ago, and due to my careful planning didn't need to be altered at all over the winter.

Hoping i can get the track all complete by the end of next week. Will be two happy munchers for a bit i reckon.

newrider.com