Chunky Monkey gang

And something else I've always wanted to ask - do your cows ever chase you? As in being curious / excited? Where we used to live there was a little herd that the farmer sub let his land to - (but he didn't believe in fences :rolleyes: so they wandered our land too) and they used to often chase me. I think mainly out of curiosity but sometimes they would get a bit carried away. I was glad I was on the quad one time and could make a quick exit into the house lol

I know what you mean, I would take cold over wet any day but I’ve had a stinking headache verging on a migraine for the last 3 days, I’ve put it down to the brutally cold wind (and being stuck out in it) that just hasn’t stopped, even when the air temp was hovering around freezing the wind was -10 or there abouts 🥶

I know what you mean, I would take cold over wet any day but I’ve had a stinking headache verging on a migraine for the last 3 days, I’ve put it down to the brutally cold wind (and being stuck out in it) that just hasn’t stopped, even when the air temp was hovering around freezing the wind was -10 or there abouts 🥶
I think seriously bad icy wind can give you brain ache. We've been going down to the cat shelter at the bottom of Storm's paddock and it's nearly killed us twice a day. OH had really bad aches in his temples - it was just the way the wind was driving. I reckon it could well be the wind doing your head too.

Reactions: Jessey
Yep my cows are out all year round. The only time i have any in is at weaning time. The 8 month old calves will be in for 4-6 weeks depending on how long it takes to halter train or if any cows are poorly.

No they dont chase me, but there are times they get a bit over excited. I really should post up some of the videos i take.

My cows are pretty calm even on the hill when hacking through them but i remember not so long ago when i was hacking out over the other side of the valley. There is a field there and they had young cows in it who literally chased me on the horse. It was highly dangerous. Billy was extremely upset and started panicking. I wasnt frightened of the cows just more frightened of Billy throwing me off and bolting.
Think the halter training plays a part in teaching the cows respect. They have chased dogs off though, when harrassed by them.

Reactions: Trewsers and Jessey
Yep my cows are out all year round. The only time i have any in is at weaning time. The 8 month old calves will be in for 4-6 weeks depending on how long it takes to halter train or if any cows are poorly.

No they dont chase me, but there are times they get a bit over excited. I really should post up some of the videos i take.

My cows are pretty calm even on the hill when hacking through them but i remember not so long ago when i was hacking out over the other side of the valley. There is a field there and they had young cows in it who literally chased me on the horse. It was highly dangerous. Billy was extremely upset and started panicking. I wasnt frightened of the cows just more frightened of Billy throwing me off and bolting.
Think the halter training plays a part in teaching the cows respect. They have chased dogs off though, when harrassed by them.
Oooh yes you should post some videos!

Found some training with Billy and cows.

Just chilling
Your horse is so good! (But you are probably calm and not worried too, so that helps). Zi came from a dairy farm, but I don't think even he would be as good as that. I think he'd be very looky and probably a bit silly! Having said that it would depend who was riding him - his old owner wouldn't have a problem as she was very confident. I think he'd be fine with mr trews but not me. I have electric / silly pants that gee him up !
I love your cows btw. I enjoyed watching those vids, I could hear the birds, it's made me feel all springy. Thanks for posting them.

I think i will be finally doing the sheep move around today. I hope they are right about the weather. Orginally they said cold spell again for the end of the month but this week looks good. Rams will be coming out from the ladies. The two groups of ladies go back together. Hopefully testosterone has settled and Jonah and Rocky dont have a massive punch up. Lambies can then go with the rest of the ladies. They will be happy to be going out. 8 weeks in, was only supposed to be 3 weeks. Yesterday they were bouncing round there pen as they were so bored. Just hope it doesnt go cold and wet too quick or they will be the first to get pneumonia. They need to harden off. There wont be any shed for them. There is trees for shelter but they very rarely use them.

With just the two rams floating round between field and yard. I can press on with the mucking out over the next few weeks. Only 6 weeks till i start lambing. Then all the gorls will come back to the fields near home.

I must seem the most cruelest person in the world. All i seem to post is about my sick poorly animals. I very rarely post about the good times.
Today is yet another sad post. My poorly sheep has sadly past away.
In 40 years ive never experienced a lambing issue like what shes gone through in the last 2 months. Yet my research on the net and talking to people seems that it is a very common lambing complication. Which some recover from whilst other sadly die.
Feeling very sad just now sitting with her.😭:(:(

• Sad
Reactions: Jessey and Trewsers
I must seem the most cruelest person in the world. All i seem to post is about my sick poorly animals. I very rarely post about the good times.
Today is yet another sad post. My poorly sheep has sadly past away.
In 40 years ive never experienced a lambing issue like what shes gone through in the last 2 months. Yet my research on the net and talking to people seems that it is a very common lambing complication. Which some recover from whilst other sadly die.
Feeling very sad just now sitting with her.😭:(:(
Quite the opposite, you seem very caring. I'm so sorry to read this though - lots of comforting vibes.

Absolutely, you care a lot. I’m sorry she didn’t make it, you’ve tried so hard.

Let’s be honest sheep are incredibly vulnerable to what seem the most benign things if you don’t know better. My sheep farmer friend used to gently jest that their whole purpose in life was to get in trouble of the life threatening kind.

Reactions: Trewsers
Absolutely, you care a lot. I’m sorry she didn’t make it, you’ve tried so hard.

Let’s be honest sheep are incredibly vulnerable to what seem the most benign things if you don’t know better. My sheep farmer friend used to gently jest that their whole purpose in life was to get in trouble of the life threatening kind.
Yup. We lived in the middle of a sheep farm for ten years and farmer used to joke that they die for fun. :(

Counting down the days now till i start lambing.
Only issue, my barrow still isnt back from repair. So the sheds are still full of muck from last year and the winter. Theres not masses in the shed but i really dont want to be lambing in there.

Parts are supposed to be tomorrow (brexit delivery delays apparently), and they say it wont take to long to put back together, but talk about cutting in fine. Sheep wont wait.
Have come up with contingency plan, if barrow doesnt come back to me tomorrow or Saturday morning. Will have to get the chainsaw out and fell a hawthorn tree to facilitate access into the yard with RTV. Tree wont be wasted. It will get used on my log burner. So not all bad. To be honest tree is getting a touch big anyway.

Poor things got stressed at the weekend when a paraglider decided to go and land in there field. They all ran hell 4 leather across the field. He got yelled at. Dont know if he heard me as i was quite far away.

Trimmed and treated a sheep Tuesday who was really lame on back leg, found lovely abcess. She was hardly limping yesterday. But another hobbled past infront of me last night. Shes getting trimmed and dipped tonight when i can get some help. Trying not to stress them with handling but i must intervene if there lame.

Counting down the days now till i start lambing.
Only issue, my barrow still isnt back from repair. So the sheds are still full of muck from last year and the winter. Theres not masses in the shed but i really dont want to be lambing in there.

Parts are supposed to be tomorrow (brexit delivery delays apparently), and they say it wont take to long to put back together, but talk about cutting in fine. Sheep wont wait.
Have come up with contingency plan, if barrow doesnt come back to me tomorrow or Saturday morning. Will have to get the chainsaw out and fell a hawthorn tree to facilitate access into the yard with RTV. Tree wont be wasted. It will get used on my log burner. So not all bad. To be honest tree is getting a touch big anyway.

Poor things got stressed at the weekend when a paraglider decided to go and land in there field. They all ran hell 4 leather across the field. He got yelled at. Dont know if he heard me as i was quite far away.

Trimmed and treated a sheep Tuesday who was really lame on back leg, found lovely abcess. She was hardly limping yesterday. But another hobbled past infront of me last night. Shes getting trimmed and dipped tonight when i can get some help. Trying not to stress them with handling but i must intervene if there lame.
Hope the paraglider landed in sheep sh*t. I hate the buggers, at my last house they were a pain in the ar*se.

• Love
Reactions: chunky monkey
Feeling a bit more relaxed having got the barrow back from repair. My afternoon was spent mucking out. Managed to tip the barrow over trying to get it up on the muck heap. Had to unload by hand, then strained my tricep 💪trying to lift it back up right.
One half of the shed empty. Look concrete. Other side to do tomorrow, long wider and deeper. Will take a bit longer but i should have help tomorrow.

20210326_194354.jpg

Feeling a bit more relaxed having got the barrow back from repair. My afternoon was spent mucking out. Managed to tip the barrow over trying to get it up on the muck heap. Had to unload by hand, then strained my tricep 💪trying to lift it back up right.
One half of the shed empty. Look concrete. Other side to do tomorrow, long wider and deeper. Will take a bit longer but i should have help tomorrow.

View attachment 105960
Looking good!

Just packed up for the day. Absolutely aching now. I had the easier mucking out yesterday. Todays pen was just not coming off in layers, so mega bitty. Back 10ft section still to do tomorrow.

Just packed up for the day. Absolutely aching now. I had the easier mucking out yesterday. Todays pen was just not coming off in layers, so mega bitty. Back 10ft section still to do tomorrow.
I think you’ve done blooming well getting that far already, mass muck outs are the pits!

Mucking out complete.
Pressure washing out the shed complete.
Disinfectant sprayed all round.
Just need it to dry, so penning and bedding can go in tomorrow. Hurdles are out of storage.

Pressure washed the concrete path by the old house leading to the yard whilst we had it down at the yard, and unblocked a drain we didnt know was blocked. Even blasting the pressure washer up it, it still took a while to unblock.

All in all a very productive weekend with loads done.

You could bet your life, if i hadnt done the mucking out they would start dropping early. Today was the day. Well its nearly over and im twiddling my thumbs.

Might have to recalculate my dates. They dont even look ready to drop. More disgruntled for being put in the shed.

• Haha
newrider.com