2022 Hacking and Riding

It was really pleasant, though normally I quite like a brief chat with the a few of the dog walkers. Over lockdown though, when they basically closed the forest, it was positively eerie. I don't understand people not enjoying seeing you - I love seeing people driving (when I'm NOT on Hogan!), and not the ones that hammer up the main road for 6 miles and then back without stopping.

The trouble is our road is a dead end road so only residents and associates use it vehicle wise (there are a few dog walkers that drive up to park to although there not suppose to). Its a restricted byway, dirt track, so the walkers use it as though its main use for them. The walk down with dogs off the leads. If your driving they stick there hand up, stand in the middle of the road pointing that they have a dog off the lead and you mustn't run it over. If your driving more than 5mph they yell at you to slow down. Thats how funny they can be.

I can't remember if I've already posted this (my sessions must seem so boring to everyone lol) anyway we had a play about with Zi and he was a lot less cheeky. However, I do think (and Mr T self-diagnosed this anyway without me saying anything) that he was making Zi a little anxious in hand by holding the reins too tight. When I am doing thing with him in the arena, I try and have no more and no less pressure on the reins than I would if actually riding him. Mr Trews has gotten out of the habit of doing stuff with him and I think was holding a lot of tension there which was making Zi more mouthy and less receptive. When I took over he relaxed somewhat and seemed a lot happier. So anyway, lesson learnt - but I don't blame mr trews in any way, it's difficult as when they've not been worked in a long while you don't know quite what to expect and he can take advantage if you let him.

I can't remember if I've already posted this (my sessions must seem so boring to everyone lol) anyway we had a play about with Zi and he was a lot less cheeky. However, I do think (and Mr T self-diagnosed this anyway without me saying anything) that he was making Zi a little anxious in hand by holding the reins too tight. When I am doing thing with him in the arena, I try and have no more and no less pressure on the reins than I would if actually riding him. Mr Trews has gotten out of the habit of doing stuff with him and I think was holding a lot of tension there which was making Zi more mouthy and less receptive. When I took over he relaxed somewhat and seemed a lot happier. So anyway, lesson learnt - but I don't blame mr trews in any way, it's difficult as when they've not been worked in a long while you don't know quite what to expect and he can take advantage if you let him.
Not boring at all! We all have different aims and routines, so everyone's posts are interesting! I agree about the reins poss being too tightly gripped - I find myself doing it when I see an imagined (or real) dodgy situation, on the ground and on board. Hogan senses it and is even more of a prat than if I hold them loosely.

Not a living soul. Boy you are lucky. The walkers were out in force here. Constant stream of them. They give you such filthy looks too as you drive up the road. Such an imposition that they have to get out of the road.
Lol don't get me ranting about walkers at our old house. Omg I could write a book. I remember hacking Storm on MY road (which walkers seemed to think was a public footpath / public in general but most definitely was not) and they gave me really filthy looks one day. Rustling along in their plastic ponchos and really peeved because they had to move over to the side of the road and potentially get cow pat on their boots. Tough titty I say. I've been a walker myself and wouldn't dream of being like that - I just don't know why some think it's acceptable. I could have been rude and reminded them that the public footpath was in the opposite direction but I didn't! Wish I had now...................

On Friday it was a misty day so I decided hacking was a bit dicey. I took Harvey in the school and was planning to jump, but he started doing mini bucks on the left rein. When Harvey does this its normally high spirits but once before he had put his back out so we didn't jump.
Saturday was misty again but good enough for a short hack.
Sunday was my first SJ clinic of the year and we were very lucky to get nice (for January) weather. Harvey was very enthusiastic and went well for me.

Warm up fence
P1164815-X2.jpg

Fence 1
P1164881-X2.jpg

Fence 2 was on a curving line from fence 1 followed by a 120 degree turn onto fence 3 which was tricky on Harvey
P1164948-X2.jpg

Fence 4 was a 2 stride double followed by a curving line to 5 (this is the second part of the double)
P1165087-X2.jpg

Fence 5 - this was followed by a very tight turn onto 6
P1165095-X2.jpg

Fence 7 was on a decent curve from 6
P1165389-X2.jpg

I came out of 7 with really loose reins (I'm trying to sort it out here). I then managed to drop my outside rein so we jumped the final fence at about a 30 degree angle - oops. Look at his face though - he loves it :)
P1165399-X2.jpg

Schooling
1 hour 20

Hacking
45 minutes
3 miles

Totals
Schooling
2 hours

Hacking
25 miles
8 hours 45

On Friday it was a misty day so I decided hacking was a bit dicey. I took Harvey in the school and was planning to jump, but he started doing mini bucks on the left rein. When Harvey does this its normally high spirits but once before he had put his back out so we didn't jump.
Saturday was misty again but good enough for a short hack.
Sunday was my first SJ clinic of the year and we were very lucky to get nice (for January) weather. Harvey was very enthusiastic and went well for me.

Warm up fence
P1164815-X2.jpg

Fence 1
P1164881-X2.jpg

Fence 2 was on a curving line from fence 1 followed by a 120 degree turn onto fence 3 which was tricky on Harvey
P1164948-X2.jpg

Fence 4 was a 2 stride double followed by a curving line to 5 (this is the second part of the double)
P1165087-X2.jpg

Fence 5 - this was followed by a very tight turn onto 6
P1165095-X2.jpg

Fence 7 was on a decent curve from 6
P1165389-X2.jpg

I came out of 7 with really loose reins (I'm trying to sort it out here). I then managed to drop my outside rein so we jumped the final fence at about a 30 degree angle - oops. Look at his face though - he loves it :)
P1165399-X2.jpg

Schooling
1 hour 20

Hacking
45 minutes
3 miles

Totals
Schooling
2 hours

Hacking
25 miles
8 hours 45
#impressed!

• Love
Reactions: GaryB
Beautiful frosty chilly morning. It was quite slippy so we had to take it quite slowly and choose where we trotted carefully. He was very good, and I suppose being a lazybones has it's merits - he trotted up nicely when asked, and didn't get wound up having to go slow where I'd usually push him on. Having said that, the upward sloping lane from the forest was too inviting and he trotted up there licketty spit.Screenshot_20220118-204333_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220118-204402_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220118-204422_Gallery.jpg

Another chilly one, but beautiful. Such a good lad this morning. 4 dogs came racing out of the bushes - no sign of an owner. Hogan walked on like a pro - never flinched. We had to take it easy, as the grassy bits were slippy, and the tracks were rock hard. On the way home in the lane, I stopped to chat with the lady next yard down. We were standing in her gateway and a van tore past, even I jumped, but solid boy again, not a flicker.

I had another play with Zi yesterday in the school but he was a bit on edge, I think it was the cold and the sharp wind. OH didn't seem to think he was too bad, so maybe it was me? Anyway Husky decided it would be fun (not) to give chase to Zi's heels :eek: so I think that was worrying me. What a strange cat. And there's something at one corner of the school that he hates. I've looked and looked and can see nowt. He can't be bothered about the giant mounting block, he's passed it so many times and of course when we ride him we use it! So it's not that. Nothing today though as it's far too blustery. I don't think either of us would be very receptive.

I had not been getting the alerts on this thread.. sometimes it does that.

I haven't been doing any play.
Just dreaming about spring

We have had some bone chilling nights near zero f. And low single numbers.

We HAVE been LUCKY to have most storms miss us or just clip us with a little since that big storm

Things have continued to be slippery.

I really am soooooooo sick of winter.

There may be a bit of a pattern change
In the next 10 days or so

I generally had not blanketed Sonny.
But started when its really cold
He will be 27...

So he and kinley get them now.

The other day
I was putting Kinleys on and put it over the rail til i could get set
bratty boy CHESTER grabbed it off the fence and took off... silly boy

This was the first day he had it on
It was a bit stiff from in the package.
I had to soften and have the fabric relax.
Bought it a few years ago but had not needed it.

I'm not sure im keen on the high neck
He seems ok with it but I think
I want to get a regular neck one..

20220115_152719.jpg

20220116_085606.jpg

I rode yesterday - grey but milder than of late. Hogan still a bit lazy, but it's rather nice to feel safe - even his paddies are pretty low key, so why do I still get butterflies when I'm going out? OH says it's anticipation and a reaction to other things that are going on atm. But I'm still enjoying it, and ok once we're on our way.

Out again today, and Hogan tried so hard to be good - and managed it! First, as we went through the houses, there were workmen, out of sight, but with a very loud machine, making a racket intermittently. It really worried him but he held onto himself. Very tense going down the track with the big bad machine behind us, got to the gate and were greeted by the biggest herd of ponies - about a dozen. This would normally send him apoplectic, but he jigged about a bit, then walked on. Finally, a dog raced out of the bushes, which doesn't worry him, but the owner, out of sight, blew her dog whistle. He nearly fainted lol. Rest of the ride was a bit joggy here and there, but he really didn't do anything terrible, even though he had to pass the invisible machine on the way back. Stood beautifully at the yard gate (though still looking for that pesky machine, but hared around the field when I turned him out. I'll take that.Screenshot_20220125-105629_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20220125-105910_Video Player.jpg

Reactions: Jessey and GaryB
Out again today, and Hogan tried so hard to be good - and managed it! First, as we went through the houses, there were workmen, out of sight, but with a very loud machine, making a racket intermittently. It really worried him but he held onto himself. Very tense going down the track with the big bad machine behind us, got to the gate and were greeted by the biggest herd of ponies - about a dozen. This would normally send him apoplectic, but he jigged about a bit, then walked on. Finally, a dog raced out of the bushes, which doesn't worry him, but the owner, out of sight, blew her dog whistle. He nearly fainted lol. Rest of the ride was a bit joggy here and there, but he really didn't do anything terrible, even though he had to pass the invisible machine on the way back. Stood beautifully at the yard gate (though still looking for that pesky machine, but hared around the field when I turned him out. I'll take that.View attachment 110303View attachment 110304
What a good lad. Look at that lovely mane! He looks fab in the field picture too!

Reactions: Huggy
Its still cold here and I am a bit of a fair weather rider. Friday started very frosty which meant that it was unsafe to hack very far. I took the schooling mare for a quick hack in the morning with S (our weekday groom) - this was my last ride on her as she had gone back home now. Later I took Harvey out for a slightly longer hack but I was still restricted by the frost.

Luckily Saturday was warmer as I had arranged to go and ride with S. Her horse is only about 15 minutes away and she has nice hacking. Her horse and Harvey got on well and we had a fun 2 hour hack with a good three quarters off road which is a novelty for me. We tried a canter and the horses went nicely side by side. We then tried on a narrower track with Harvey behind which quickly turned into a flat out gallop with not to much in the way of brakes for either of us! We had anticipated this an knew we could both cope.

Sunday was another cold one and I nearly didn't ride, but in the end Harvey and I had a nice hack.

Hacking
4 hours 15
14 miles

Totals
Schooling
2 hours

Hacking
39 miles
13 hours

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
Out today with a new hacking buddy, her on Smartie, the lovely ex eventer in the field beside ours, and me on a very fizzy and sportive Sid. I rode out of the gate to go up to the top gate to meet buddy and Sid launched without being asked straight into his best high-stepping cob trot, all the way up the hill!

We had some disagreements about hacking with another horse. Sid: "I'll just put my nose in his tail and follow along." Me: "No, I want to chat, you go beside." Sid "Behind!" Me "Beside!" You get the picture.

Sid really wanted a good old canter and we tooled around checking out the canter tracks, but they are sandy and it has been soooo dry that they are all really deep. Hacking buddy didn't want to risk Smartie's tendons so Sid had to keep to a trot. He then offered to trot all the way home (down a steep hill, natch) but I declined.

He was in a right muck sweat when we got home. Lovely ride though.

Anyone remember that French sportswear brand, "Le Coq Sportif"? Well I have Le Cob Sportif!

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy
I went to ride as usual, and we had the vet coming at 9.30. Something wasn't right with Hogan. When i arrived he just stood and looked at me, no usual starving cob stomping at the gate. I went in to get him, and he was very lacklustre - he's normally desperate to get in to his haynet. Just picked at it, but drank his bucket dry. I tacked up anyway, thinking if he's colicky, best thing is to keep moving. The ride to the forest gate was excrutiatingly slow, with many, many stops, so I just came back. I listened to his tummy, which seemed ok, and gave him his bucket, which he ate, but without his usual gusto. The vet checked him over, tummy, temperature, heart etc. and said all seemed well. I checked him at lunchtime and he seemed more himself, and by this evening back to his cheeky self. Will keep an eye on him, and vet said to call if I noticed anything again.

• Sad
Reactions: GaryB
newrider.com