2022 Hacking and Riding

Horrible weather today. He managed 45mins out before calling it a day. It brightened when I came back up so we went out for a leg stretch. He was scarily sensible! A whole 12 mins. Just after finishing filming it started pouring and so we trotted home šŸ˜‚ he was very pleased with himself when we got back šŸ˜

Finally - a dry day! Very cold, and Hogan was on his toes - yes, Hogan - on his toes - hard to picture I know. 45 minute ride took 30 mins, and he SOOO wanted to be wicked, but apart from a hop and a skip and a head toss at the start of each trot, he managed to contain himself. Earned a mint on our return.

Our groom is off with Covid (double jabbed and boosted but she has a low immune system) so I was called in to cover on Friday. Luckily I only had 5 to muck out as I had a bit of help. I decided to ride in the school which started well until Harvey decided it was Grand National time and only wanted to canter. I decided to let him get it out of the system so, we just went round and round in canter!

On Saturday I hacked with A in the morning, then got back and swapped Harvey for our schooling mare and took her out with A

Sunday was a longer hack with A starting to fitten the boys up for fun rides

Schooling
20 minutes

Hacking
4 hours 30
12 miles

Totals
Schooling
40 minutes

Hacking
22 miles
7 hours 30

I hope no one else has gotten it..

No play here.
Besides the snow.
Then rain
That did bring a lot of it down thsnkfully

Now its bitter cold with below zero f
Windchills.

The real temp high today will not move despite sun and stay around 11f

Tonite will be horrible again then improvement tomorrow

Another artic blast fri pm thru sat.

Supposedly we are in the coldest 12 to 14 days of the year...

I'll be glad to see the back end of it.

I hope no one else has gotten it..

No play here.
Besides the snow.
Then rain
That did bring a lot of it down thsnkfully

Now its bitter cold with below zero f
Windchills.

The real temp high today will not move despite sun and stay around 11f

Tonite will be horrible again then improvement tomorrow

Another artic blast fri pm thru sat.

Supposedly we are in the coldest 12 to 14 days of the year...

I'll be glad to see the back end of it.
I'm cold just reading that!

It wasn't fun out there but w everyone is fine.

Added to it Andi,s heated bucket came unplugged somehow and froze Saturday night.

Thank God
I had a spare and it warned up a bit and rained Sunday so i could melt it.

I got another one for a further spare and also bought an imersion heater as well..

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Very cold this morning! But dry at last. We set off in good form, got to the inclosure gate and just got through, when a foal, who'd been watching us come in, decided it would be great fun to pretend to be scared of us. Cue whizzing back to mum, then careering about bucking and high stepping about 12 feet from us. Hogan grew to about 15 hands, but was actually quite calm. BUT - he'd popped the hoolie on the back burner for later use. After about 15 minutes I could feel the hoolie bubbling up, however we trotted on until we reached the tarmac lane to home. Best place for a tantrum thinks he - in fairness it was a very tiny one, but not funny on the slippy tarmac. I pushed him on though, and he listened and got going. He really is a little sod, but I suppose he's MY little sod. šŸ˜‰ Screenshot_20220112-132042_Gallery.jpg

Too cute....šŸ˜€

Sigh gotten thru the worse of this cold snap being only 12f for a high yesterday but it was full sun all day.

Everyone was fine and ate the outside hay barely touching the inside hay.

It was very cold again last nite and this am
It stayed around 11f

Its sunny again this am..
OHHHH THANK YOU....šŸ¤©
We will get above freezing YEA.
Not a huge amount but I will take anything.

A REPRIEVE for a couple days then deep freeze again Friday pm Saturday and Saturday nite.

I hope Friday's storm does miss us.

I'm very VERY glad i bought several big packages of hand warmers.
6...3 for each hand did the trick.
One on top ..2 in the palm

Evrn in this horrible cold kept my hands pretty decent.

Thankfully i can get several uses from the hand warmers.
As soon as i get in i put them in a plastc glove squeeze out all the air and secure with a couple rubber bands.

Shutting off the air shuts off the chemical reaction. Making the heat giving me several uses.

I also bought a fleece backakava hood
I had a scarf.. the hood ..knit cap over the hood and a bomber hat w ear flaps over the hat.
It may sound stupid but i was warm.

I need to get a couple more of the fleece hoods.

I AM ALREADY SOOOOO READY FOR SPRING.

Too cute....šŸ˜€

Sigh gotten thru the worse of this cold snap being only 12f for a high yesterday but it was full sun all day.

Everyone was fine and ate the outside hay barely touching the inside hay.

It was very cold again last nite and this am
It stayed around 11f

Its sunny again this am..
OHHHH THANK YOU....šŸ¤©
We will get above freezing YEA.
Not a huge amount but I will take anything.

A REPRIEVE for a couple days then deep freeze again Friday pm Saturday and Saturday nite.

I hope Friday's storm does miss us.

I'm very VERY glad i bought several big packages of hand warmers.
6...3 for each hand did the trick.
One on top ..2 in the palm

Evrn in this horrible cold kept my hands pretty decent.

Thankfully i can get several uses from the hand warmers.
As soon as i get in i put them in a plastc glove squeeze out all the air and secure with a couple rubber bands.

Shutting off the air shuts off the chemical reaction. Making the heat giving me several uses.

I also bought a fleece backakava hood
I had a scarf.. the hood ..knit cap over the hood and a bomber hat w ear flaps over the hat.
It may sound stupid but i was warm.

I need to get a couple more of the fleece hoods.

I AM ALREADY SOOOOO READY FOR SPRING.
Ooo that's cold!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Well after a week off with shoe issues and a lovely al be it windy day we set off. We rocketed out of the yard. The hay field half way down the road is open. That is an over exciting field anyway so when he spotted it, snaked his head and set off to go in it he was told a big fat no!

So we huffed and puffed and spooked and snorted our way round the village. He settled marginally at one point after we had a trot (I really donā€™t like trotting on the road but thought it might help) until we hit the quarry! Another big fat no and told to behave himself.ā€awww mum you are no fun, I can gallop down hill too you knowā€. Power walked all the way home and still pulled coming back up the hill. Bounced back in to the yard in much the same way as we left. 3 miles in 40mins. No videos as didnā€™t dare take a hand off the reins šŸ˜‚

A little play about with Zi in hand today, and he was much less cheeky than the last few times (he's had so much time off I could hardly blame him really). Today Husky (our returned wandering bagpuss look alike) decided he would supervise our session in the school. He helpfully decided to roll down the longside as we were approaching. He moved in the nick of time thankfully hahahahaaa. Gotta love a cat haven't you.....................Zi was very disdainful of him. Tack on again today - but rug straight on afterwards as I don't fancy nocturnal grooming again as he'll need a rug tonight and he was heading straight out to the field.

Went happily up to ride this morning, groomed, then got new purple (longer) girth to go with purple numnah, out to saddle him up. It wouldn't do up. Same size as my turquoise one, which I use all the time, and no way was it going to do up. Ended up going for a walk, which was lovely - but I wanted to ride. šŸ˜©

Went happily up to ride this morning, groomed, then got new purple (longer) girth to go with purple numnah, out to saddle him up. It wouldn't do up. Same size as my turquoise one, which I use all the time, and no way was it going to do up. Ended up going for a walk, which was lovely - but I wanted to ride. šŸ˜©
Aw that's a shame. How come it won't do up then?!

A lethal in hand walk today. Barely went very far, road is just a glistening sheet of ice. Although some bits are still muddy. Frost hasgone in deeper than yesterday. Legs were coming out sideways. So turned round headed back. I just took the dog out for a walk and its getting colder out there now. My legs went from underneath me and I almost landed on my bottom.
Yesterday was bad enough but at least we made it down to the car park and back yesterday. Needed to chill Billy as the farrier was due, so i bunged Chunky in the tack up area, turned Billy back out. He was not happy and galloped across the slippy field. I had to shut my eyes. Fortunately when he got the other end he found id put a treat ball and horslyx out in the paddock so i think that curbed his running about for 10 minutes.

It looks for all the world like its snowed but this is just frost. The road is just so slippy.

20220114_140622.jpg

Last edited:
10 degrees here! Lovely and sunny. Horse was an idiot! We went out with a buddy and she walks ssoooo slowly that it was a disaster. If I let him do as he liked and go as fast as he liked he was fine perfectly happy and chirpy. As soon as I asked him to slow down or wait or I actually said anything the toys and the pram were thrown. He was getting more and more frustrated. I was not in the right frame of mind and I shouldnā€™t have ridden. I didnā€™t want to let my friend down as she is not confident going out alone. Very very upset at myself for putting him in that position.

The boys have had an easy weekend, to the end of the road and back. A couple of very short rides for Chunky. Yesterday was due to getting out late and his rider had to be home before dark. Today was because we were too knackered after lots of sheep work. But i wanted them out for a bit of exercise. I walked Billy out in hand. By god though. Who was it last week wanted a video of Dan taking Jessey sledging. Well you must have jinx me because thats practically what Billy did with me yesterday. That and horrendous headshaking. Today was calm thank goodness. I put the fly mask on today so the headshaking was reduced too. Lord knows why hes got bad.

Nice ride this morning. I thought he'd be wet, but because it was mild he'd dried off - a real mud monster though! He was a tad lazy again, but it turned out a lovely ride - didn't meet another living soul, animal or human. Used my usual girth and it fitted fine - go figure. When he trots now, it is a good active one, it's just getting going that's a pain. Look how clean I managed to get him! Screenshot_20220116-190659_Gallery.jpg

newrider.com