2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Got out for a little ride on billy this morning. Only 2.5 miles. He was a bit lacking in enthusiasm so we only plodded. I say no enthusiasm but im wondering if his leg is painful as he had a couple of trips too. Which had reduced. Im trying him on some bute but cant say its making any difference. The thing that made the difference is riding less, but thats contrary to the vets advice of riding him regularly.

Got out for a little ride on billy this morning. Only 2.5 miles. He was a bit lacking in enthusiasm so we only plodded. I say no enthusiasm but im wondering if his leg is painful as he had a couple of trips too. Which had reduced. Im trying him on some bute but cant say its making any difference. The thing that made the difference is riding less, but thats contrary to the vets advice of riding him regularly.
That's difficult then, if the vet advised you to ride him. Perhaps he wasn't in pain and he genuinely just wasn't feeling enthusiastic? Have you tried any herbal supplements instead or alongside the bute? I find the Naff Devil Relief very good for our two oldies and when I was still riding Storm before her injury it really did improve her to the point you'd not know she had the arthritic hocks.

No hacking for me yet but proxy hacker is back from Uni. Tested at uni to be clear of Covid but our Tier rate in London is dire and not sure yet whether the horses are here or the yard are hacking.

• Sad
Reactions: Huggy and GaryB
Went out yesterday in the little break in the weather. Hogan behaved, but it's like he's been dosed with valium - SO hard to get him going forward at all just now. Maybe the grim weather's bringing him down too! Doesn't look great for tomorrow, but there might be a window around 8am, so will set alarm and hope.

Well, I actually caught a decent couple of hours - there was even sun! It was a really nice ride, Hogan was more forward going, though strangely, a bit stubborn going past some forest ponies. Hey ho, can't have it all I suppose. The heavens have just opened and pelted down, so I feel lucky. Think its supposed to rain for a few days now ( :confused: ), so Christmas organising it is!??‍?.

Friday was my last but one day off this year. Harvey and I went for a hack with one of the liveries that I rarely see as she is at Uni, and we haven't ridden with before - it was nice to ride with somebody new. As we got back one of the other liveries arrived and wanted somebody to ride with so I borrowed the yard veteran and had another nice hack.
Saturday was a nice hack with the yard groom.
The weather on Sunday was horrid - steady rain all day. We kept an eye on the rain today app and then went for a jump in the school (the weekend groom and I) when the rain was at its lightest

After last week's fun ride I had a look at the official photos and really liked this one, so I bought it :)
Cotswold%20Fun%20Rides%2006.12-129-%28ZF-5956-11389-1-001%29_1-X2.jpg

Hacking
2 hours
7 miles

Schooling
30 minutes

Totals
Schooling
39 hours

Hacking
93 hours 35
325.1 miles

Lovely morning, so glad I got up to go out. We were very brave, both of us, and went round the outside of the inclosure. I sang the whole way - a sure sign I'm nervous! Hogan was good as gold, even when we met a huge black bear of a dog - asked the owner what he was - Bouviers des Flanders - massive, but well behaved! Home safe so an extra carrot for good boy Hogan. I feel such a wuss sometimes, but I keep reminding myself that he's not an easy boy, and we're doing ok. ?Screenshot_20201217-120712_Gallery.jpg

Lovely morning, so glad I got up to go out. We were very brave, both of us, and went round the outside of the inclosure. I sang the whole way - a sure sign I'm nervous! Hogan was good as gold, even when we met a huge black bear of a dog - asked the owner what he was - Bouviers des Flanders - massive, but well behaved! Home safe so an extra carrot for good boy Hogan. I feel such a wuss sometimes, but I keep reminding myself that he's not an easy boy, and we're doing ok. ?View attachment 104914
Well done, it's good to sing !!! Lol I used to sing all the way around any ride with STorm in the early years. I think I must have been like white noise to her ears hahahahaa. Looks a nice day there.

Just had a bit of a play in hand with Zi. He was really good and backed up with the lightest of touches. Shame really it's a gorgeous day here and probably a good riding day for OH but he was anxious to get to work up here - and so it really wouldn't have worked as Zi can sense when you're not completely with him. I think sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have and some in hand stuff took us less time.

Just had a bit of a play in hand with Zi. He was really good and backed up with the lightest of touches. Shame really it's a gorgeous day here and probably a good riding day for OH but he was anxious to get to work up here - and so it really wouldn't have worked as Zi can sense when you're not completely with him. I think sometimes you just have to make the best of what you have and some in hand stuff took us less time.
Yes, I've learned the hard way, not to go out if I'm not in the sight head space.

Well I got lucky this week, The gas struts on the horsebox ramp needed replacing so I booked Thursday off work to take it to to the mechanic. Wednesday was rain all day and Friday was too, but Thursday was nice and sunny so I was able to go for a nice hack in the afternoon after the horsebox was fixed.

On Saturday the weekend groom and I had a play over some jumps together and on Sunday we went for a longer hack

Harvey doing his giraffe impersonation. He gets an apple after he has worked, but I get mugged if I stand too close! Note the yard veteran hoping for a treat too (he got one :) )
IMG_1732_HEIC-X2.jpg

Schooling
30 minutes

Hacking
9.5 miles
3 hours

Totals
Schooling
39 hours 30

Hacking
96 hours 35
334.6 miles

I was just admiring the lovely tidy floor. A few shavings maybe but no hay over the floor.
There is only me on part livery - everyone else is on full. That makes it pretty easy to keep the place tidy. Also liveries are only allowed one small box on the floor so everything can be moved easily to sweep (all the stuff in the pic goes back in the car once I have ridden)

Still very wet first thing, but I was determined to get out today. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and we managed to miss the worst of the rain. The forest is very muddy, and Hogan is a big sissy about mud and puddles - couple of mini tantrums about those! Hoping to squeeze a last one in tomorrow, before the chaos ensues.Screenshot_20201223-111525_Gallery.jpg

newrider.com