2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

I managed a road ride today. Billy was pretty good. Had to get past a parked digger, so we stopped and did a bit of training with some treats. He had a little hissy fit at some bodies flashing christmas lights in there hedge. We got past doing a fairly controlled side pass under the circumstance.
Chunky got a very short in hand walk.

How big is the paddock???
You could work on liberty.
About 1/3 acre. I'm mulling over what I'll do with him. The key with Hogan is to take it VERY slowly. If I push him, he pushes back. Liberty could suit him, who knows? The YO thinks I should move faster, I think, but I'm happy to go at his pace - at present, walking around, taking it in, is working. I think initially, I'll get on him bareback first, after a few more little wanders round. The ground is lovely and soft so if I come off, I should be ok! He doesn't seem to see bareback as working, so may be a good place to start. (She said confidently) ?

Gorgeous morning, frosty and misty. The forest was very quiet, and we had a lovely ride. I'm knackered though - pushing Hogan is hard work. He's definitely in a better frame of mind though - I've been reluctant to use my whip when he was so stroppy, but he just wasn't listening to my leg at all. One sharp tap and he woke up and started to listen. I hate doing it, but he has to work harder - he really does take the Mick sometimes! Screenshot_20201129-113122_Gallery.jpg

Mr T managed another short ride on Zi today - hurrah! We tacked him up and I walked him about the school first, and made sure (well at least tried) he was listening. He was! Hehehee. The sun came out too which was nice and they went into the winter paddocks this time and back up the yard in a loop. I almost was tempted to have a sit on him myself but was wearing skinnies which although stretchy aren't quite the same as proper jodhs. So slow and steady wins the day - that's my mantra. There's no rush and those two are doing great. I'm so happy for both of them. Zi looks content and into a routine - he gets turned out afterwards - does a roll has a nibble then fetches himself back in! Then settles down for the rest of the afternoon in his apartment to snooze and nibble. It's a hard life isn't it?!!!!! ? ? ? :D

Omg Sonny was full of himself today and
FULL of CANDY HAY.
His door to the hay area was open.
I don't know if i did not close it or it didnt latch properly THANK GOD I have a stall guard across it.
He still managed to yank a candy hay bale over and have a party..

I played in the small wire pen
He really was silly britches and would not come down or halt properly.

I had thought I might ride but we are going to do more liberty.

I moved him to the little cavaletti pen
And did some more he was much better
But I'm not chancing a ride 20201129_101647.jpg20201129_101655.jpg20201129_102038.jpg20201129_103252.jpg

Omg Sonny was full of himself today and
FULL of CANDY HAY.
His door to the hay area was open.
I don't know if i did not close it or it didnt latch properly THANK GOD I have a stall guard across it.
He still managed to yank a candy hay bale over and have a party..

I played in the small wire pen
He really was silly britches and would not come down or halt properly.

I had thought I might ride but we are going to do more liberty.

I moved him to the little cavaletti pen
And did some more he was much better
But I'm not chancing a ride View attachment 104707View attachment 104708View attachment 104709View attachment 104710
Oh Sonny! I love the last picture, he looks very quizzical!
I think it might be the time of year - after mr T rode Zi today you should have seen him galloping up and down - I think he might have been cold.

I did another road ride on Billy today. We went down into the town, as it was way too foggy to go up over the hill. Someone had put out christmas lights in there hedge, which werent there yesterday, so we had a good look at those as we went past. At least we werent practicing side pass today. I wouldnt have fancied that going down the main road and down hill. We went via one of the places i work and they brought there dog out to see Billy. There dog apparently decided to take a shine to a couple of horses whilst they were out on a walk one day. So they want to do some more work with my boys to calm there dog.
One the way home i made a point of practicing transitions. Billys been getting abit silly on our road hacks of late. In summer as we go over the hill he doesnt see much traffic, but now its so wet ive gone back to road hacks, without chunky as company hes been a complete narna which is making me loose confidence. So i decided we would pick a tree or lamp post and keep him occupied. We did a bit yesterday so today we did more.

A better weekend for me. Friday was a really nice day so I took Harvey up the bridleway onto the hill. I had expected it to be busy but there weren't many people about so we went down the bridleway to the car park which we have never done before. Harvey was a bit spooky but obedient, still very lacklustre though.

I have had 2 previous episodes of Harvey being lackkustre and both times it was apparently sorted by feeding him Vitaferrin although I wasn't convinced that it wan't a coincidence. I decided to order some and got a bit of money off with it being Black Friday, sadly though it won't arrive for 2 weeks, so I went and bought a small container from the local tack shop on Saturday (I like to support them but they don't do the large containers and its £10 for 1L or £25 for 4L so a big difference)

Saturday was a horrible day so just a short hack round with 2 of the other liveries. Harvey had a double dose of Vitaferrin to start him off.

On Sunday I decided to try jumping with the expectation that Harvey stil wouldn't be going well. I was surprised to find that he was not only better but pulling my arms out. I can't really see that the Vitaferrin would have that effect after 1 day but that is 3 times it has worked now. I am going to keep him on it until Spring, Anyway we set up a course of 5 jumps including a 1 stride double, all at 80cm and had a play. I made a right mess of the double - we got though it ok but on 2 strides each time. I gave up in the end and will try again next week - I think I just wasn't attacking it enough.

No pics as on Saturday I had my hand full and the other days were just too dark!

Schooling
30 minutes

Hacking
2 hours 45
9 miles

Totals
Schooling
38 hours

Hacking
87 hours 20
310.1 miles

A catalogue of disasters before I even took Hogan out today. I really should have just left it until next time. My mood was not good, and the final straw was that I put my rubber reins on last night - god knows why - I hate the things. I knew I'd made a mistake as soon as I got on - they're too long, and thick and cumbersome. Anyway, it was like riding through treacle. He was soooo slow, reluctant to trot, and totally unresponsive. To finish things off, I finally got him into a ploddy trot, and he promptly tripped, and went down on his knees, with his head between his legs. We then went home!! The only good note - before I took him out to the field, I walked him round the paddock - 2 circles, then a few figures of eight and he was very good. I know the whole disaster was down to me and my mood - note to self - stay home if you're tired and grumpy. :confused:

A catalogue of disasters before I even took Hogan out today. I really should have just left it until next time. My mood was not good, and the final straw was that I put my rubber reins on last night - god knows why - I hate the things. I knew I'd made a mistake as soon as I got on - they're too long, and thick and cumbersome. Anyway, it was like riding through treacle. He was soooo slow, reluctant to trot, and totally unresponsive. To finish things off, I finally got him into a ploddy trot, and he promptly tripped, and went down on his knees, with his head between his legs. We then went home!! The only good note - before I took him out to the field, I walked him round the paddock - 2 circles, then a few figures of eight and he was very good. I know the whole disaster was down to me and my mood - note to self - stay home if you're tired and grumpy. :confused:
Oh, what a shame but onwards and upwards. I know the riding when tired and grumpy scenario, it rarely pans out very well does it? Next time you ride will be better - don't be hard on yourself. That's positive that you did circles and figures of eight, I'd say that's good because he was obviously listening.

A better weekend for me. Friday was a really nice day so I took Harvey up the bridleway onto the hill. I had expected it to be busy but there weren't many people about so we went down the bridleway to the car park which we have never done before. Harvey was a bit spooky but obedient, still very lacklustre though.

I have had 2 previous episodes of Harvey being lackkustre and both times it was apparently sorted by feeding him Vitaferrin although I wasn't convinced that it wan't a coincidence. I decided to order some and got a bit of money off with it being Black Friday, sadly though it won't arrive for 2 weeks, so I went and bought a small container from the local tack shop on Saturday (I like to support them but they don't do the large containers and its £10 for 1L or £25 for 4L so a big difference)

Saturday was a horrible day so just a short hack round with 2 of the other liveries. Harvey had a double dose of Vitaferrin to start him off.

On Sunday I decided to try jumping with the expectation that Harvey stil wouldn't be going well. I was surprised to find that he was not only better but pulling my arms out. I can't really see that the Vitaferrin would have that effect after 1 day but that is 3 times it has worked now. I am going to keep him on it until Spring, Anyway we set up a course of 5 jumps including a 1 stride double, all at 80cm and had a play. I made a right mess of the double - we got though it ok but on 2 strides each time. I gave up in the end and will try again next week - I think I just wasn't attacking it enough.

No pics as on Saturday I had my hand full and the other days were just too dark!

Schooling
30 minutes

Hacking
2 hours 45
9 miles

Totals
Schooling
38 hours

Hacking
87 hours 20
310.1 miles
I hope the Vitaferrin helps. I wonder if it's the time of year now the grass isn't so nutritious and maybe that's making him lacklustre? You mention wondering if the vitaferrin worked that quickly, I have a similar product by Equlibrium and I think that works more or less same day according to the bottle. (But it might not be the same ingredients?)

newrider.com