2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
I couldn't see one, already?

Pete and I can add 1 hour of polework and jumping session to start 2020 off :D

Really pleased with him actually, as he's only jumped once since moving (last week) and we mainly (!) kept a sensible lid on his excitement. Re-starting small with poles leading into a couple of small x-poles but it's nice he's confident and calm enough in our arena to start this again :)

Totals:

Hacking miles: 0
Schooling: 1 hour
Groundwork: 0

Happy riding in 2020 all :)

I'll join in for now :) we went for a nice but chilly wee hack this morning, short and sweet but Belle is feeling flippin great just now and I don't want to overdo it with her, so kept it short.

Totals:
Hacking: 40 mins
So glad someone else does 40 mins - I never seem to manage much more than that on fatty slow coach!

Managed a good one this morning. Really pleased with Hogan. Going down the back lane there's a big thoroughbred in the field running parallel. He usually ignores us, but something set him off today, and he galloped up and down the fence line, within 4 feet of us. Best boy barely batted an eye, and walked on. We also went up what used to be our bete noir - the "HILL OF DOOOOM" and not a flicker. Definitely an extra carrot ride. We still have some crappy rides, but the good outnumber the bad - mostly!Screenshot_20200102-104229_Gallery.jpg

Sonny unmounted 1 hr

Oh yes it was the new year.
Yesteday i played on the crossed poles behind the rd pens cause the ground was too hard and frozen in the arena.
He was a good boy dispite the wind UNTIL I was walking back and the tarp set him off again the wind was pretty bad.
I did not get stepped on but I did something different...
I had him turn and we backed all the way to his gate. I barely had to jiggle the rope he was quite wired.
Today I put him in the cavaletti pen the ground is very hard again and its breezy but not horrible wind like yesterday.
He was a good boy.

I got some really lovely second cut this am.
I was the first person getting some out of their new delivery.
LOL he needs a bigger ladder at the start ...

Tomorrow and sat we are having heavy rain again ending as hopefully only a little snow sunday am but the dawn this morning was LOVELY

Sonny unmounted 1.5 hrs

Yes we dodged a bullet with the last storm and did not realize just how close snow was til new years day.
I got a call my glasses were in so we went to pick them up.
OOOIE not far on the way .. to the north we started seeing a little snow.
Then MORE AND MORE :eek: :eek:
The snow line started about 7 miles north of here . In the big scheme of things THATS NOT FAR..:mad::mad::mad::(:(
We are due rain again today and tomorrow into sunday am that will end as snow but hopefully not much.
I played a bit early in the cavaletti pen but then it warmed up a bit and I did not want to mess up the smooth footing in there so I went up to the arena that was still quite frozen but not sharply lumpy bumpy like soil will get.
WE had a great low key play and I was sending him into and thru the cut tire.

It was actually kind of nice out late in the day still and the goats were too cute sparring.

We did a four mile today. Both went out together as chunky had his rider.
They were out spraying today up on the farm up the hill. So i was quietly having kittens as i thought billy might have a barny at the tractor complete with 30 ft hanging out either side. So we were trotting down the road trying to out run the tractor as he was heading to the same corner of the field we were heading to. Thank goodness we made it before the tractor.

On a roll at the moment. Hogan being very good (what's he planning?) :oops: Nothing seems to worry him just now - Not the forest ponies, bouncy dogs, bikes. Mind, we haven't had the cows or donkeys around for a while..... My only problem is getting a canter - just not happening. I really think he's been a driving pony in his life, there's a long gap in his history in Ireland that I've no idea about. I can't afford schooling at the mo, so we'll just approach it like everything else - baby steps, in the hope something will click.

Another wee hack this morning, 50 mins this time plus we had a wee 15 min bareback pootle round the yard, barns on Friday morning.
Total ridden : 1 hour 45 mins
We won’t be breaking any records that’s for sure but we are both happy and that’s all I care about.
Oh and after years procrastinating I’ve bitten the bullet to order some specially made ‘ rhythm beads’ Mr KR just rolls his eyes and says ‘ Belle doesn’t need a necklace she’s beautiful enough as she is’ ha ha.

Another wee hack this morning, 50 mins this time plus we had a wee 15 min bareback pootle round the yard, barns on Friday morning.
Total ridden : 1 hour 45 mins
We won’t be breaking any records that’s for sure but we are both happy and that’s all I care about.
Oh and after years procrastinating I’ve bitten the bullet to order some specially made ‘ rhythm beads’ Mr KR just rolls his eyes and says ‘ Belle doesn’t need a necklace she’s beautiful enough as she is’ ha ha.
I always say to my competitive friend (always at comps and shows and lessons) that Hogan and I will never set the world on fire, but we're having the best time. I did all that with Ramsey, bless him, and boy, did he enjoy it, as did I, but I think Hogan and I are both quite content pootling through life at our snails pace. Each to his/her own!

newrider.com