2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Well, Hogan didn't let me down today, but I let him down. Was having a lovely hack, and stopped to chat with a dog walker. Suddenly two riders appeared coming towards us, and without thinking I just got off - memories of past tantrums! He was good as gold, and led away from them without a flicker. I got back on, and continued, but I really should have trusted him. Lesson learned. By me.

I think you did the right thing despite him being good - you have to go with your instinct sometimes and no harm done. I always think that they haven't a clue really why we get on and off lol So I think you did well either way. :)

Ohh its better safe than sorry..
Don't beat yourself up.

I never felt bad to get off if i thought i was uncomfortable..and sometimes I would get off for no reason at all to not set the tone I only get off if im concerned.
That lovely boy won't really know if
You did not get a Charlie horse in your leg that you needed to walk off;)

Ohh its better safe than sorry..
Don't beat yourself up.

I never felt bad to get off if i thought i was uncomfortable..and sometimes I would get off for no reason at all to not set the tone I only get off if im concerned.
That lovely boy won't really know if
You did not get a Charlie horse in your leg that you needed to walk off;)
The one good thing is, I now have a mental note of where all the high tree stumps are that I can use as a mounting block!

The one good thing is, I now have a mental note of where all the high tree stumps are that I can use as a mounting block!
Yup I am quite familiar with all 'high' points on or hacking routes too, so far not needed them though.

As everyone else said, don't beat yourself up, I think it's good to get off sometimes just because.

Had a wee bareback mini schooling session on the yard this morning with Belle, just a little potter and some lateral stuff, turn on the haunches, turn on the forehand, all in walk. Tried the lovely rhythm beads, sooo pretty on Belle (will get photo's when it's light enough, we rode in the dark this morning) and a lovely soft jingle, can't say Belle even noticed them :rolleyes:
So total
Belle = 2 hr 5 mins
Pony Cob = 1 hr 30 mins

@chunky monkey i think it’s more about your own totals and your own goals rather than whether you should or should not post about ten min sessions, lunging or just pottering.
I only post my little bareback sessions because Belle and I don’t do a lot anymore, I don’t imagine anyone is really interested in them but I do add them to my totals because it makes me feel better and makes me realise every bit of ridden time with her ‘counts’ for me.
I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think anyone here cares how much or how little we do, but it is nice to keep a record and it’s nice that some of us enjoy what we all share :)

For me its the one thead that i never really read or posted on. Ive posted about a few hacks that ive done this year. But i havent bother posting about my 10 minute lunge sessions. I figure no one wants to know about those. I will try to participate more i promise.
I'd like to hear about lunge sessions - I'm trying to get up the courage to try lunging Hogan, but I'm a bit rubbish - even dear old Ramsey took advantage of me when I lunged him!
@chunky monkey i think it’s more about your own totals and your own goals rather than whether you should or should not post about ten min sessions, lunging or just pottering.
I only post my little bareback sessions because Belle and I don’t do a lot anymore, I don’t imagine anyone is really interested in them but I do add them to my totals because it makes me feel better and makes me realise every bit of ridden time with her ‘counts’ for me.
I guess what I’m trying to say is I don’t think anyone here cares how much or how little we do, but it is nice to keep a record and it’s nice that some of us enjoy what we all share :)
spot on!

50 mins hack on Belle this morning in sunshine for once (well kind of as the sun was coming up) cold though.
For once I remembered to take a photo.101186

Excuse the floppy ears, way too big for her pony ears but needed full size to fit her big head.
Total
Belle - 2hrs 55 mins
Pony cob - 2 hr 30 mins

Hours hack this morning - beautiful day, and the forest was lovely, despite the mud and puddles. Had two runners, with 4 dogs and a pushchair coming at us on a narrow track, good boy Hogan did stop as they approached, but did nothing, and on we went. All in all, a nice way to start the day. :D Screenshot_20200110-105055_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200110-105059_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20200110-105102_Gallery.jpg

I contributed last year and the year before and only ever do short pootles due to my "issues". I don't think anyone minds, and I enjoy reading the short and long rides of everyone else too. As you say, it's good to have a record.

Huggy yes GO FOR IT... ;)

Lunging is a great tool. Its so much more than chasing around in circles.

I feel so good when hes full of piss and vinegar but doesn't pull me off my feet
And i can get great transitions on voice command or send him into and thru tires.

And liberty is awesome fun too.

No play or anything the last few days we have had nasty cold and wind.
Yesterdays morning wind chill was zero f.

Thats cold mo matter how you cut it.

Today is the start of a couple days warmer weather.
Its still quite cold but will warm up as the day goes on.

My new patterns for the January challenge will be posted around the 15th
Woo hoo can't wait.

The Jan Feb and March will be critiques only not ribbons competition.

One each month that will be for riding or in hand.. which ever way you choose to do it..

Then in the spring will be the regular judged ones with ribbons.

Huggy yes GO FOR IT... ;)

Lunging is a great tool. Its so much more than chasing around in circles.

I feel so good when hes full of piss and vinegar but doesn't pull me off my feet
And i can get great transitions on voice command or send him into and thru tires.

And liberty is awesome fun too.

No play or anything the last few days we have had nasty cold and wind.
Yesterdays morning wind chill was zero f.

Thats cold mo matter how you cut it.

Today is the start of a couple days warmer weather.
Its still quite cold but will warm up as the day goes on.

My new patterns for the January challenge will be posted around the 15th
Woo hoo can't wait.

The Jan Feb and March will be critiques only not ribbons competition.

One each month that will be for riding or in hand.. which ever way you choose to do it..

Then in the spring will be the regular judged ones with ribbons.

Belle really dislikes liberty work, I’m not sure why but she gets very confused and then really pissy with me if I try to send her away, shell do anything at liberty as long as she can be next to me and she loves to ‘play’ mirroring games but ask her to go away....... full on tantrums.

newrider.com