2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

O that is beautiful. Where is that!
I post this with some envy. Tho Ella is the safest hack I have ever met, I havent the confidence to take out my phone and take a pic.

It is my Mark Rashid training. He says that a horse never gives the rider more attention than the rider is paying to the horse and even then never more than 99%. Mostly by some miracle I stay seated when a horse spooks and spins, but if I had my mind on a picture, i dont think so!

Any advice on photo taking from horseback?

4 miles hack on Billy, and 3 miles drive with Chunky today. With a wee picture from todays drive.

We have the yellow ears version. I brought the ears for billy to help with the headshaking but having them on caused his bridle to slip over his ears. Riding without a bridle was a bit scary. So i abandoned using on him and now use it on chunky for driving. Ive had so many comments from people saying they love the ears. Its funny they never comment about my hiviz jacket or the hiviz exercise sheet.

IMG_20200105_133859.jpg

@Skib I always have to stop the horse to take my phone out my pocket to take photos. As someone not versed in taking photos regularly i find it difficult to operate a phone whilst on the move. I usually end up pressing the wrong buttons if we are still moving.
This is me too! I'm not a photo taker anyway, never really think about it on horseback.

Full hour out today (big wow ;) ). Felt lucky as the forest ponies were around, including a very nosey, bolshy little piebald Shetland, who is well known for causing uproar around riders - we only saw him at a distance, and he didn't bother us. Hogan was on high alert for some reason - marching along glaring at bushes and tree stumps. He doesn't usually act on it (Ramsey ALWAYS did!) so we got round without incident. We just had a very impressive sideways trot past a parked car on the lane home.:rolleyes:

Sonny unmounted 2.0 hrs

It rained sat and was VERY WINDY YESTERDAY.:mad::mad::D:D
I did need to let him blow it out though.
The arena was soft . I have to be so careful this time of year to not mess up footing.
I have enough length in the arena to have a frozen area too that will stay smooth and flat..
I move everything out of they way this am.
He was really good even with the horrible winds he was silly but did not drag on the line and pull me off my feet so I was happy for that.
.I got an awesome reverse on voice command I was also pleased for that
Its quite cold today but for some reason did not have the go thru feel...
I'LL TAKE IT.
I let him have some grass in the front yard before legging up and putting him in one of the big rd pens.

We are getting flurries but nothing big.
Later ill figure out where ill play depending on how much it warms up.
Tues pm into Wed we are getting a couple inches thats not too bad.
Then next weekend we are supposed to be warmish again with rain
ILL FOR SURE TAKE THAT :D :D :D

Sonny unmounted 2.0 hrs

It rained sat and was VERY WINDY YESTERDAY.:mad::mad::D:D
I did need to let him blow it out though.
The arena was soft . I have to be so careful this time of year to not mess up footing.
I have enough length in the arena to have a frozen area too that will stay smooth and flat..
I move everything out of they way this am.
He was really good even with the horrible winds he was silly but did not drag on the line and pull me off my feet so I was happy for that.
.I got an awesome reverse on voice command I was also pleased for that
Its quite cold today but for some reason did not have the go thru feel...
I'LL TAKE IT.
I let him have some grass in the front yard before legging up and putting him in one of the big rd pens.

We are getting flurries but nothing big.
Later ill figure out where ill play depending on how much it warms up.
Tues pm into Wed we are getting a couple inches thats not too bad.
Then next weekend we are supposed to be warmish again with rain
ILL FOR SURE TAKE THAT :D :D :D

View attachment 101145View attachment 101148View attachment 101147View attachment 101146View attachment 101144

View attachment 101149

View attachment 101150
Oooh yes - he had a bit of a blow out, didn't he!? Very rewarding though, to get such a good response to a voice command!

First post of 2020 :)

New Year's Day was Harvey's birthday - he is now in double figures (how did that happen?). I was grooming for YO at a show but I managed a quick ride in the school first.

The yard groom's project pony has now moved on so she is hacking the yard veteran. We are going to take him a bit further than he is used to so we have now started building him up. We had a nice hack on Saturday and Sunday. I'm so glad the days are getting longer now so daylight is less of a worry.

The New Year's resolution started well - I remembered to take a picture :)

IMG_1822-X3.jpg

Schooling
20 minutes

Hacking
2 hours
6 miles

First post of 2020 :)

New Year's Day was Harvey's birthday - he is now in double figures (how did that happen?). I was grooming for YO at a show but I managed a quick ride in the school first.

The yard groom's project pony has now moved on so she is hacking the yard veteran. We are going to take him a bit further than he is used to so we have now started building him up. We had a nice hack on Saturday and Sunday. I'm so glad the days are getting longer now so daylight is less of a worry.

The New Year's resolution started well - I remembered to take a picture :)

IMG_1822-X3.jpg

Schooling
20 minutes

Hacking
2 hours
6 miles
Belated happy birthday Harvey!

Had an hour and a half hack today :) not on my beautiful Belle but on one of my fellow liveries wonderful pony cob! I hope that still counts towards my total? Or should I do separate totals as I may well be riding said pony cob more often?
Anyhow as follows:
Hacking total : 3 hours 15 mins or
Belle - 1 hour 45 min
Pony Cob - 1 hour 30 mins

Well, Hogan didn't let me down today, but I let him down. Was having a lovely hack, and stopped to chat with a dog walker. Suddenly two riders appeared coming towards us, and without thinking I just got off - memories of past tantrums! He was good as gold, and led away from them without a flicker. I got back on, and continued, but I really should have trusted him. Lesson learned. By me.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
newrider.com