2015...here's to hoping its our year

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Well to keep myself motivated and on track I have decided a diary would be a good idea.

New Years day 2015, I achived very little, got jobs done and then hid in the house away from the cold.

My birthday, Jan 2nd, got up nice and early and saw in dawn with the horses, got all my jobs done and planned to ride but Jess started kicking at her belly before I even did the girth up, this is a new trick, Poohsmate was coming to check my saddle a few weeks ago and she did this so I cancelled thinking she had a touch of colic but it looks more like it may be saddle related. So I spent my day getting the bodyworker out to give jess a top to toe massage (she couldn't find much of anything apart from her normal stiffness in her right hind and a tight poll).
The farrier was coming out in the afternoon anyway, he commented her feet look great after my inbetween trims and that if I put a track in I will probably do him out of a job! He did note she was dropping through her right hip a little (not part of her normal stiffness).

So I haven't ridden since and am going to wait on Poohsmate coming out next weekend before I do, though I am debating getting our Osteo out to see what she thinks before then.... so many decisions. In the non-riding time I have begun planning the track for the fields, the TB goes on sunday so I will start making changes next week I think rather than cause chaos before then.

I've also been thinking on the Wales ride, I want to do The Great Dragon Ride from South Wales to the northen coast, its about 300 miles. I've struggled to get in touch with any of the information offices over the holidays but I'm hoping they will start getting back to me now. I would like to break it into 15 mile days but that depends on where there is to stay, I'm allowing myself about a month to do it including days off during the ride and a few days rest at the end before travelling back to Suffolk. I just got a very scary quote for the transport 750 quid! so I might have to work a bit harder on getting that down. I've also spent hours online looking at the gear I would love to get to do it, I'm still not sure how I will fit everything and me on poor Jess, I'm thinking I might have to convince friends and family to do weekly re-supply runs :) Oh and figure out how I'm going to pay for it all, first port of call is finding a smaller cheaper house to rent!

Happy belated birthday!

I would love to do that ride too, if only I didn't have to work! Might try the lottery again ...

Reactions: Jessey
Found a piece of tooth in a bucket, not sure if its fronm jess or hank, most likely hank. I had a look in his mouth with a torch tonight but it all looked normal.

I saddled jess up tonight as a test, put the treeless on and got none of the kicking so gave her a treat and pulled it back off. So tomorrow im going to take the treed one round and try that, fingers crossed she was just being a grouch the other day. Im also seeing my osteo tomorrow so hopefully by the weekend we will both be on track for some riding.

I also started a new routine tonight, i brought jess in the stable for her food. She doesnt much like being in and has become less and less tolerent of it even with the door left open, last week i put her hay in nets inside as we were due a lot of rain and she'd rather starve than go inside :rolleyes: i dont plan to stable her but if i ever needed to i want to have that option so we will practice daily while we dont need to until she relaxes more about it.

I am so jealous of your ride. It's frustrating because I have a horse with the perfect temprement for that kind of ride and I also have transport, but I am such a wuss I just couldn't do it. Maybe you could meet up with NewRider members on route - we could all meet up with you and cheer you along.

I am so jealous of your ride. It's frustrating because I have a horse with the perfect temprement for that kind of ride and I also have transport, but I am such a wuss I just couldn't do it. Maybe you could meet up with NewRider members on route - we could all meet up with you and cheer you along.
Well hopefully Tobes will be all better and SJP1 will be joinging Jess and I :D once we work out where we will be when we shall let you know as company, for moral support or ridden is welcome. I am a little nervous if I have to camp alone but I spent years making excuses not to do things with Bo and missed the opportunity so I'm not going to let it stop me.

Good luck on your big adventure, cannot wait to follow your journey and see the photos :D

I am planning do part of the smaller Lindsey trail here in Lincolnshire this summer with my friend its about 70 miles in total partly off road partly quiet lanes... So I will be work on both of us getting fitter....
That sounds good...off to look it up :D

It would be fun to meet up for a night or two and camp with you. It's a shame that it's so far away from me, but let me know nearer the time and maybe my kids and I will take a little road trip....

Reactions: Jessey
There is a caravan with grill/ two rings and toilet so its ok for over night if you tent it.... :) So it possible too do it... I know my farmer has let friends stay before.... with his permission :D and you horse can have a paddock if he/she is ok behind electric rope fencing...
I want to be able to carry everything to be totally self sufficent through wales (just have weekly resupply stops), me and my big ideas :rolleyes: I've spent ages online looking at ultra lightweight camping gear.

Reactions: Native Lover
I saddled Jess last night with my treed saddle with no grumpyness, I think someone just figured she didn't want to work on friday!

On the down, as life seems to like to keep throwing me curve balls, I've just found out the place I work at is going to be shut down. Got a meeting at 2 today to hopefully tell us when and what they plan to do with us but it doesn't bode well :(

If you are coming anywhere near here (if I've not sold up) you are welcome to camp here. There would be field fenced - shelter and for you either a room at the house or caravan or worse case pitch a tent on the yard (we might be selling the caravan it just depends on where we move to).

I saddled Jess last night with my treed saddle with no grumpyness, I think someone just figured she didn't want to work on friday!

On the down, as life seems to like to keep throwing me curve balls, I've just found out the place I work at is going to be shut down. Got a meeting at 2 today to hopefully tell us when and what they plan to do with us but it doesn't bode well :(

Oh poo! That is rubbish. Hope there's a decent timescale for you to find alternative employment.

newrider.com