2015...here's to hoping its our year

Ive just had the email, the insurance have finally agreed to accept the claim for jess' feet/lameness after 3 letters from the vet, the last categorically stating she was in no way laminitic :D I'm very relieved, they will cover the vets bill, the shoeing and physio (who should be here Monday) and should we need to go to mri if we have a set back they should cover that too :D such a relief

Reactions: Trewsers
The bubble burst :( jess has been doing great, had 6 days off in the field while I was away then Thursday we pootled out with Hank for about 25 mins, Friday she had a major gallop round temper tantrum in the field so I figured she'd had enough for one day, yesterday we went out alone and she felt stong, sound and was keen so we trotted 10 mins out of our 45 minute ride, today she's lame :( same leg tho I didn't have anyone around to trot her up for me to watch but I'm assuming its the same problem again.
Physio is booked to come out tomorrow night, will call the vets first thing tomorrow to check if we should go ahead or get her back in there or both, if going straight back I guess we will be talking to the insurance about mri again. Its 12 weeks 6 days since the original lameness showed up. Gutted doesn't even begin to describe how I feel right now :(

I called the vets yesterday and our vet is off sick, so booked Jess in for next week for re-assessment. Had the physio last night, she seemed really good, she actually teaches the advanced vet physio classes in Newmarket. She said Jess is less than 1/10 lame and its only intermittent every 3rd or 4th step, which is not as bad as I feared. The only thing she found was a little tension under the saddle which worked out easily but we will need to have our saddle checked again, I'm not overly surprised, she has changed shape a lot being out of serious work for 3 months now. So I've decided to keep Jess in the corral for the rest of the week and see how she looks at the weekend then hopefully speak to our vet and see what she says next week.

Thought I should do an update. I finally spoke to the vet last weds, 10 days after Jess went lame again and we again discussed the MRI option, again we have decided to put it off on the basis that what ever it shows it really doesn't change the treatment options for me so we agreed to chuck Jess out for a couple of weeks (to hopefully stop the grass tantrums) and re-assess. I promptly went and brought a muzzle and put it on her and spent 2 hours watching a truly pitiful pony really not understanding what was happening, she just kept following me begging for me to take it off and bashing her nose on the ground as she obviously couldn't feel the grass etc in time to stop, she would eat if I poked stuff through the hole but could not do it for herself :( so she is still on the short grass and we are now up to 2 hours on the good stuff but each night when she realizes she's been shut in she has another tantrum :(

Then on Friday night we had the farrier out, I pointed out a little slit I had noticed on the bulb of the heel (the only place she ever showed positive reaction to hoof tester) and Norm had a little dig and found some traces of blood so a possible abscess release, then had a poke in her sole/heel and found a bit of a track there too so we decided to pull the shoes and poultice the hell out of the foot and see if anything came of it as norm was loathe to dig too much without the vets consent. Last night on day 5 I found a tiny bit of clear-ish gunk just forward of where norm dug, I'm not convinced but going to give it another 48 hours of poultice just in case.

And in my best efforts to give Jess as much rest as possible I have just agreed to take a horse in for backing, don't know a whole heap about him, a blanket spot appy called steady Eddie lol I think he's rising 6 or 7, belongs to my friend who never got round to backing him as he son isn't big enough for him yet but as I have idle hands and he is just stood there it seems a good option for both of us :D

So there was an abscess in that left foot but we didn't get much out, about a week later the right one burst dramatically tho, and another week on its burst in the same place again and we got lots of gunk out of it (well done Jess for having a hissy fit and galloping round to pop it as poulticing didn't get much from it).
In between all that Jess also had a reiki session, she really enjoyed her head chakra being done, went all gooey eyed and sleepy for that one, and was good for all the rest, Lisa doesn't believe anything going on in her feet is permenant which was nice to hear even if it is a bit floofy. Interestingly she was very lame for 2 days after the treatment then improved loads (though is still slightly left fore lame) and has stayed at the improved level, I'm still really hoping there's more abscess to come from the left fore, the fact it keeps changing leans us to that. Another reiki session booked for 2 weeks time for her :)

The abscess saga is on this thread, just linking for my own info really
http://www.newrider.com/community/index.php?threads/246981/

On the up she's relatively comfortable and happy if getting quite porky from the lack of work

Look at that belly!
e87c13f6999c9651483ffe06b47162fa.jpg

And just because
bcecaf936bd9e3d49b1076e3493f47d0.jpg

4563f1588d1321bef78c85e779ad5a8e.jpg

A foggy morning in the week
e1c6c3d72d76b992d817be1775d8316b.jpg

9a09f3e1406a6556758e3e1f42594e03.jpg

And the sun rise yesterday
f4c098896786784f7fccf87e8b3a414f.jpg

138c327da43409032c20b2ab9bab57cd.jpg

Ohh spooky halloween pony with glowing eyes!

Jess is so gorgeous: I love the way her coat is so vibrant she glows :). She's looking pretty chilled out too so hopefully that burst abscess has made her feel better.

Stunning photos of the sunrise too!

Reactions: Jessey
Still nothing from jess's left foot but she seems much sounder, I trotted her up tonight and I think (was running and looking over my shoulder) she looks 95 maybe 98%, no nod, just a slight variance in the limb flight so I'll walk her tomorrow and hopefully a few nights this week and see how she goes, keeping everything crossed, still.

Reactions: Em 1
Well since my last post, I fell off ed and made myself lame :rolleyes: and Jess came field sound around the same time :rolleyes: so she just spent a month hanging out in the field as I couldn't do much. I then started walking her in early December and all was well so I hopped on the weekend before Xmas and was heart broken to find her lame again the following morning, that bloody left foot again, another abscess burst. So I got some cleantrax and soaked her feet and within 48 hours she was doing great, been walking her since Xmas and got a little ride on the very last day of the year and held my breath overnight worried sick about what I would find this morning but she's still sound, I'm so relieved. Onwards and upwards for 2016 :D

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com