2015...here's to hoping its our year

Had a lovely day today, the sun was shining and it felt like spring [emoji4]
Took jess out and she was enjoying herself perhaps a little too much, im thinking its the haylage ive put her on, but it made for a fun ride, at one point she took a flying leap in the forest as someone had used chalk spray to mark out a route for some event or another [emoji57] but for the most part she was good. I could hear motorbikes in the forest (they arent generally allowed in there) so we went a bit off piest avoiding them and came across a stallion tethered, another detour, but we found some nice new trails so not all bad. I was going to go through the river to get home, but its pretty swollen and flowing fast so yet anotger detour to get to the bridge.
0c3513875a2da54f0cd0bcbc01ab1e14.jpg

e273401500738b7f1eba697e22c77f29.jpg

e9c096a743b1c82872ada998c1827704.jpg

Jess was very sweaty by the time we got home, she is such a sweaty horse I do feel for her, anyway she enjoyed a massage before going out for a roll and hank was supervising
63c6f8d5f2982e1fc8527d21cc76c9cf.jpg

abeea4129f98709c75a52b3e0359547c.jpg

2440f64bdc107e261ebbdc94f011b2d8.jpg

dae7ebab10a8b806fa85f02fd3bead67.jpg

Then she headed out for another roll and some grass with hank fussipating behind her
7b5a8a6d888cc2c2db773023126a4fe0.jpg

Then hank popped back for a visit sporting a new earring
eb8c8b9a8b4ab895fd927cbd9857ace0.jpg

A great day x

Feeling a bit boo hiss about this week, I managed to lunge Tuesday night and had Friday off so managed to get out for just over an hour then but the rest of the weekend has been spoiled by the weather :( It's bloody cold, raining/sleeting/snowing on and off and the wind is very knarly, I was determined to go out today but I am not one to saddle up in the rain/sleet, I don't mind as long as I can get on when it's dry even if it comes down once we're out, I've turned into a fair weather rider :( Maybe it will stop long enough for me to get out this afternoon, I wanted to practise highlining with jess and give her a session with her massage pad too but that's a no go when it's wet, it might just have to be another afternoon of route planning for our Wales trip, it just means I'll have a grouchy week until I can ride again.

A few pics from this week;
Hank got to wear a rug one night as the sleet and rain left him pretty chilly
a64849f5a8ff3e8ce81e307e23899195.jpg

Jess spooked at a carrier bag in the forest Friday so got to eat round one (which she didnt look twice at, naughty ponie was pulling my leg)
b32bf98dda720b5cc81f14c28dfe162c.jpg

We had a tiny dusting of snoe before it turned to sleet and all went to mush
855208035a5e34e466630cf55ee4b608.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
Llangadfan and Vyrnwy are fab area, I very nearly bought a house in Llangadfan and the forest you are riding through would have been my riding, I've walked and ridden through there and it's really lovely :D

Reactions: Jessey
Well this weeks been a merri-go-round, it was freezing and frozen solid Monday so we did walk schooling, turn on the forehand & haunches, leg yielding etc and she was awesome :D Did similar on Thursday but with some trot too as it had thawed a bit.
Friday I got home early enough and the sun was out so we headed out but didn't even make it out of the driveway before she started spooking and being silly, so we trotted the first 2 miles, then had a mile walking, another mile of trot and walked the last 2 home as she had settled by then, all in all not a bad ride.
4aa1666f42a79f24e205b7de387a4eba.jpg

Saturday I wanted to head out a bit further, though she looked pretty tired when I arrived
7b80989693167c74f6b8407e06277a2a.jpg

we ambled along for the first 3 miles and she was great, I thought the stiff workout the night before had settled her, but another mile on she royally threw her toys out, we had a trot and popped her in canter and she decided I obviously meant gallop and every time I asked her to slow she flailed herself around like a demented idiot :mad: The thing that stopped her was when we hit a very rocky/stoney track, I was seriously unimpressed so decided to do that section again in the hopes she would behave, wrong :mad: I felt like getting off and leaving her out there (I never would) I was so irritated, instead we just walked home doing lots of transitions and lateral.
Today I nearly didn't ride but it was such a nice day I convinced myself I should. First I gave her a massage and good brush just enjoying the sunshine. Then we set off on a short ride, she walked out okay but in my little estate she had a major melt down at the scariest thing EVER there was a guy on the green with his dog who was laid flat out having a tummy tickle, this apparently warranted cantering on the spot before doing a 180 in the middle of the road in front of a car :eek::mad: When we got in the forest we did w,t,c all good as gold :) Took some videos of her making her happy noises and headed home, she's lucky she redeemed herself after being such a wench yesterday and to start today, so I let her go for a naked roll when we got back and gave them an early dinner.
I'm thinking the decision to put her purely on haylage rather than mixing it with hay might be to blame as this is not like her at all, luckily I'm due to get another load delivered this week so I will be changing my order.
Having a massage
0f5dfeb70c9fe62281f7bb2b599cad6e.jpg

Before our ride
26063780b7d8cb93f5c4399b28dee395.jpg

2ba966e3681d5153e78bc8babdbbde83.jpg

During our ride
14a59f93143e1a598441544d797835dd.jpg

12205453e9e652e1d7298044f689cbab.jpg

The mess after her roll, and this was the good side
554d02a4063f9811bf431d9429f3a3cc.jpg

Hank as ever is a dude, showing off his eyes which get less hazel and more grey every month
d64a655a668a09d28f85f378308a3870.jpg

Last edited:
I have had another of those weeks, feeling pretty down as I'm pretty sure my saddle isn't right again, how can she change shape so bloomin much?

I lunged Tuesday and Thursday night and rode just a mile and a bit on weds as jess has sore feet after last weekends 'moment'. On Saturday I borrowed a few saddles from friends to see if there was something more suitable for her, one has to fit right.....
9e327d2147110edcb0b7da599c85c975.jpg

And I lunged her and videoed so I can show poohsmate what's going on.

Yesterday we went for a nice ride (in her treeless saddle) we just took it easy as I was feeling a little fragile after over endulging on Saturday night. I just brought a heart rate monitor so we can start doing some proper interval training, it's really interesting seeing what spikes the heart rate, there were a few moments yesterday when she was spooking but her HR didn't spike so she was obviously just playing jokes on me the minx.
We went up through the gorse track, it's so spikes she walks like she's going over raised poles which is good for getting her back lifted.
719be5f309b2836b406689be341867ed.jpg

And across the village green
eac7532dcf0d5b96ba5a68ba7e6a8164.jpg

The sun was shining over our little valley
b8fcb8da1a565ff97d3807ffe2f14ea0.jpg

I love this track in the woods, the light is always lovely and the trees are really big here, I hope they don't harvest these ones, they are too nice.
e47f7ff7c08e69a67aca53b67692723f.jpg

When we got back Jess went straight to her sandpit for a good roll.
29a77fa5050ca0271447df58dd34e2fb.jpg

4a26f5d96f7a74e052282f3247df5a71.jpg

Hopefully I will find my motivation soon and go for another ride, just can't get going this morning.

Last edited:
Another week of ups and downs, the downs being our ongoing saddle problem really getting me down :( but I'm just keeping everything crossed poohsmate can get back to see us soon and with a little more adjustment get my saddle sorted, I wish she would stop changing shape! Until then we will keep using the treeless.

Jess was jumpy on Wednesday due to trying another half a dozen saddles on her so I lunged and she did some good pole work, Friday night I got a nice ride in, did some nice schooling inc poles and lateral work, it's great now it's light until about 6pm :D today I had a rider Pilates instructor out and it's left me feeling very positive that the original saddle moving issue was indeed me and is fixable so I will be working hard on righting my imbalances over the coming months http://www.newrider.com/community/threads/rider-pilates-lesson-report.244682/

Another up this week is my front saddle bags arrived, I love them, and my tent so I'm getting a little excited and pending sorting my saddle (or if the treeless is better with the new pad that's winging its way to me from @mystiquemalaika ) I will be trying out my set up at Easter and doing the last 50 miles of last summers ride from the north norfolk coast to home in suffolk :D my rig, inc me, saddle, 2x bags and back roll with my tent, sleeping bag, stove, empty water bottles, bucket, shovel and a few other bits weighs in at 203lbs, I plan to loose at least 15lbs over the coming months, so our 250lb max weight (based on 20% of jess's body weight) should be achievable :D even more so if we go treeless.

image.jpg

Saddle bags are fab, I have those ones in purple :D

I think the Torsion pad your getting has felt inserts in, might be worth looking at adding some more substantial inserts in it if you are planning on doing the long ride with the dream saddle, as the stirrup hanger is across the back it might be worth bulking the inserts up over that distance.

I was going to message you today NA to pick your brains on treeless saddles as looks like I will be using it for the forseeable, appreciate the tip :D

Agree with what NA has said regarding inserts :) the felt inserts in the torsion pad will need something else either a complete change of insert or a layer of something else imo for that amount if miles in a saddle designed like the dream team one. Poron is very good for weight distribution and some camping mat material, Eva I find good and firmer than the standard foam. If you can find some skito inserts they would be my choice as I'm sure NA will agree they are imo the bees knees of inserts but come in a variety of thicknesses and densities :)

Well I like the DT, but have noted one little patch about 8" down from her spine, roughly where the stirrup runs down where the hair looks like someone snipped it with scissors about an inch long, I am assuming this is a hint of pressure (though could easily have rolled on a flint) so I will definitely be looking into other shim material for the minute, but given the issues with her treed saddle, unless we can perform a miracle and fix it this weekend (unlikely), I am seriously considering selling the DT and going for one of the more structured treeless saddles if I am going to ride distance in treeless I want something more structured just because the stirrup mount on the DT always makes me nervous of doing loads of rising and half seat work, which on our training rides is probably 75% of every ride. At the moment I just use the DT for shorter, slower rides.

I agree with you about doing distance and lots of rising trot and half seat in a saddle with the stirrups over the back makes me nervous, IMO a saddle with a low stirrup point is better for distance work.

I do really like Skito shims, but they are expensive which is the only downside. Some firm inserts over your wool felt ones would add a bit of extra support, only problem then when you start adding thickness of shims is that it can make the saddle laterally unstable. I have made some shims out of EVA padding, they were linkable mats for using for kids I think and think I got them for Lidl or Aldi, they make a pretty good firm shim about an inch thick and can be cut with a pair of scissors.

It's been yet another uppy downy week, I'm getting a bit bored of this now and just want to move into training for real. So I have decided to quit trying to get my dressage saddle fitted well enough for distance riding and have brought a thorowgood endurance adjustable and am just crossing everything that when it arrives my saddler friend Neil can tell me it fits well enough for what I want to do, until then we are riding in the DT and I will start saving for one of the treeless saddles better suited to longer riding too.

So the ups, jess is back to her normal chilled out self since she's been off the ad lib haylage :rolleyes: what a silly thing to do that was, she is also looking bloomin fab and with increased lunge work with poles and massages her back looks great. My new pad arrived for the DT and it works great and is lurvely :D sleepy time and looking good :D
image.jpg
image.jpg

I put a track in my fields last weekend and apparently that means jess has to race round it a lot (she's really churned it up) she's enjoying stretching her legs so I definitely think it will help battle the bulge and keep her fit.
image.jpg
The bottom hay station
image.jpg
A leg stretch...

We've had pretty mornings and nice evenings, I've enjoyed just hanging out with the ponios while the munch
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
But Hank prefers the giant stable all to himself
image.jpg

Today we went out for a ride, I couldnt face another weekend of not getting out, it makes me grumpy, so even in the 45mph winds (jess is fine in them but I worry about trees and branches in the forest coming down) we headed out for a short ride, i planned to walk for maybe 4-5 miles (an hour) but it didn't end up that way, she was slobbing along so to get her more engaged we worked on transitions from my seat, and before I knew it we'd knocked out 7 miles, I think we both needed it though, it was a great ride. Jess wasn't quite cooled out by the time I needed to leave so I left her fleece under her no fill, good job my horse doesn't care about much, this is how I found her a couple of hours later, the elastic sircingle was up round her flanks :oops:
image.jpg

Jess looks absolutely fantastic, so glossy and beautiful, It's lovely to see her thundering around her track - the only time I saw Ziggy do that he jumped a 1m 10 fence at the end, apparently just for the hell of it! That will certainly keep her fit :)

newrider.com