Twin 2 n Oscar Hunter Trial Pics

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Some pics from the hunter trials. They had such fun. Can't wait for the next one....

upload_2017-5-11_8-29-56.png

upload_2017-5-11_8-30-30.png

upload_2017-5-11_8-42-15.png

upload_2017-5-11_8-42-40.png

Plus a video of most of the round for anyone interested. Oscar is still a long way off full competition fitness after the strangles saga, so she nursed him round a bit. He needs to go quicker next time. The ditch-hedge and house are missed which is a shame as they were quite testing jumps. And they edited out the 2 refused fences. But you get an idea. Fences look so much smaller on film than they do in real life!! It's over 5 minutes long though so make a cuppa first!

Attachments

• upload_2017-5-11_8-32-53.png
    upload_2017-5-11_8-32-53.png
    412.5 KB · Views: 6
Fantastic! Have a feeling that pony will be the making of her, looks like he's teaching her a lot, she rode really well, I remember when you were posting they were too scared to canter. She is turning into a good little jockey.

Reactions: KP nut
Looking great! She's riding so confidently - which I think he needs, cheeky pony! You must be so proud.

Fantastic! Have a feeling that pony will be the making of her, looks like he's teaching her a lot, she rode really well, I remember when you were posting they were too scared to canter. She is turning into a good little jockey.

Yes it's been a long and testing journey! Now we just need to sort Max out too!! There's always something to worry about.....:rolleyes:

Looking great! She's riding so confidently - which I think he needs, cheeky pony! You must be so proud.

Thanks, yes I am. She has worked so hard and been so brave to keep persevering after getting chucked off again and again. She spent over 6 months in walk and trot only in an arena with him soon after we first got him, rather than give up, even after me and Twin 1 were wanting to just move him on and find an easier pony. I remember the 'sell him/don't sell him' thread well!

http://www.newrider.com/threads/but-when-he-is-bad-he-is-horrid.247609/

Gosh I am glad we carried on. They are such a super partnership now.

Yes it's been a long and testing journey! Now we just need to sort Max out too!! There's always something to worry about.....:rolleyes:

She did a cracking job, they really are a great little partnership and I think it will have not only done her riding a lot of good keeping him but also she has learnt to persevere and hard work pays off, a good life lesson really.

Last edited:
Superb, and well done! That's a really nice video and a great course. It inspired me to look it up and its about the same distance as the Catton fun ride I did, so maybe one day I will get Harvey there :)

PS - loved the slo-mo bits at the end!

Last edited:
How far away are you @GaryB? I'd love to meet Harvey!

And I would love to meet your team/herd :)

I think I'm quite away from you - Harvey lives between Birmingham and Warwick. Once I get transport though Eland is in reasonable reach. It it possible to hire the course for schooling?

Yes you can hire it. They close the course a week before an event, though, and as I discovered they can then put in unexpected weird fences you haven't had a chance to see before!

Reactions: GaryB
Gosh @KP nut I got quite emotional watching the video. No handbrake on that time, Katie was kicking him on! She was so composed and steady and he looked as if he loves his job - ears pricked forward the whole time. Magnificent. 56 year old me is so, so envious of Katie and her lovely pony.

I read your "Sell him, don't sell him" thread before I watched the video and it made me laugh when he spooked at that pram during the round. He did exactly what you described he would do for you at that point - a couple of sideways strides - and she didn't turn a hair, just adjusted her glasses and kicked him on! She has really grown into him. What a return for all her hard work and courage.

I hope they have a long, long partnership before her legs get too long.

Thanks @Jane&Ziggy! She is desperate to stay small - she is very slight so the weight won't be an issue but the leg length might be! She has size 7 feet!! So I suspect she will grow too tall for him in the end.

she is doing so well, what a gutsy girl :D He isnt as infront of the leg as thought he would be from the pics of him (stupid i know, you cant judge from pics) and i think that makes it harder!

That was lovely to watch. Oscar pops over the jumps so tidily that it fools me into thinking 'I could do that'. But in my heart of hearts I know it's only because Katie has such a secure seat that it looks so easy. She isn't at all fazed when Oscar jumps one fence awkwardly and his little spook at the pram (Raf would have done exactly the same there) she's so focused on the task. What a lovely combination they make.

Yes you can hire it. They close the course a week before an event, though, and as I discovered they can then put in unexpected weird fences you haven't had a chance to see before!

Like this one!! Oscar was NOT jumping that :eek::confused::confused:

18403238_10158565392570316_4244941883742560986_n.jpg

Reactions: GaryB
That is original, but very strange! I've only jumped Harvey over solid fences twice - I have no idea what he would make of that.

Being perfectly honest I would have pulled that pony up based on the video. He didn't look right after about midway through. Clearly as you said not fit enough to be competing. Its great that the kids are growing in confidence but taking unfit ponies competing will lead to stops and really doesn't teach the kids anything. I was always told you need to do the boring fittening work before the fun begins.

Oh get stuffed MrC. I haven't read anything from you in months as you never have anything remotely constructive or pleasant to say to me. But i had a look at this as surely not even you could find something to snipe about here. WRONG!!!!! Please leave me alone. And dont reply as you are back in my ignore box. Permanently.

newrider.com