Mud fever prevention

shiney_things

Nov 25, 2008
I have a 15hh grey cob who used to be black with white socks in his younger days. (he's 26 now, but theres still ALOT of bounce in him)

He loves his field but he is REALLY prone to mud fever. I've tried drying the mud off and brushing it out twice daily, i've also tried smearing him in vasaline to stop it sticking but that seemed to make it worse as the mud just stayed there and ive been advised against washing his legs when i bring him in.

His mud fever has cleared up now, but i want a prevention method before i turn him out again. Do mud boots work?

If you have ANY suggestions at all, please let me know! Mud fever always feels like its a loosing battle!

I found the horses that were on copper and dolomite mix didnt get mud fever this winter.

Also used zinc and castor oil cream (for nappy rash) on one of mine and it really helped.
We washed with vetadine but careful to not over wash.
Good luck.

mud feaver

i have found pig oil has kept my hairy boy free of mud fever. i just brush the oil through his feathers. i must admit that i havnt mixed it with sulpher. what is sulpher and what is it used for.

Pig oil and sulpher,no need to clip off anything if you keep up with the applications,its simple easy and works well.
The sulpher kills bacteria and heals the skin,the pig oil prevents mud sticking ,a truely fabulous combination.:D
Sulpher also keeps flies away as they HATE it.;)
The mix is 2 cupped handfulls of sulpher to 1 litre of pig oil,its "flowers of sulpher" you need to buy,or you can get it ready mixed off ebay,its a brilliant prevention,treatment and cure.:)

Last edited:
Never used the PigOil & Sulphur but apparently it is the way to deal with it - I hear nothing but great reports about it.

I use Thermatex leg wraps sucessfully to keep legs dry overnight when washed off and treat by washing legs with Hibiscrub and the Sudocreme/ClingFilm method but I have TB's not cobs and they have clipped out heels and fine hair..

Pig oil and sulpher,no need to clip off anything if you keep up with the applications,its simple easy and works well.
The sulpher kills bacteria and heals the skin,the pig oil prevents mud sticking ,a truely fabulous combination.:D
Sulpher also keeps flies away as they HATE it.;)
The mix is 2 cupped handfulls of sulpher to 1 litre of pig oil,its "flowers of sulpher" you need to buy,or you can get it ready mixed off ebay,its a brilliant prevention,treatment and cure.:)

Im a convert to the PO&S BUT..i recomended it to my whole yard, 2 people shared and got one bottle, another two also shared one, and someone got one herself..so i ordered them off ebay as i did for myself. ALL 5 horses i had use it have lost hair on their legs! Most didnt patch test, the one girl who did had no problems until 2 weeks later. One girl applied and washed daily, the rest put it on and left it on..so although my ned and everyones here have been fine..remember to be aware of ANY products you use on your horse :)

OMG I had never heard of them losing their hair from po&s :eek:

Excellent post to remind us all not to get complacent about patch testing new products first :cool:

Mogadoga, did these horses already have mud fever? If so, could it have been the scabs coming off that took the hair with it?

I'm a total PO&S convert and I think Arnie is actually starting to grow some feather for the first time in his life!

please be very careful about pig oil and sulphur!!!!:eek:

It can cause chemical burns and hair loss. the pig oil holds the sulphur next to the skin and the skin can't breath causing burning same goes with mixing any corosive substance with oil and applying it to the skin!!!!!

Who ever said clip off the hair on their legs needs to be shot, you're taking away all the natural protection that they have by doing that!

Wait until the hair and legs are completely dry and apply zinc and castor oil cream. nice thin layer and repeat every week or two to prevent the mud fever.

Tape off really boggy areas of the feild.

But "flowers of sulpher" isnt corosive.;)
AND the skin CAN breath.:rolleyes:

Im not disputing whats happened as written above btw.

This mineral is used in both orthodox medicine and homeopathy to treat skin disorders.

Other names : Brimstone, flowers of sulphur.

Parts used : Flowers of sulphur (a bright yellow powder obtained from natural deposits of the mineral).

Homeopaths may prescribe this remedy for :

Skin disorders. Displaying the following symptoms : Dermatitis; eczema; psoriasis; dry, flaky, itchy skin or scalp.

Digestive disorders. Displaying the following symptoms : Indigestion from drinking milk; regurgitation of food.

Stress and worry Displaying the following symptoms: Depression; irritability; sleeplessness; lethargy.
People requiring this remedy will feel worse :

So its used in all sorts of things.

Last edited:
I have PO&S on all my horses, from warmblood Libby with skinny legs so supercob Lucy with Feathers of Amazingness ...

HUGE FAN!

..... In fact, I now buy PO&S in for our local gypsy camp, as they were so admiring of my horses feathers LMAO!!

if oil is applied to the skin it will not breath.
and plastering oil on the skin day after day will not help.

Sulphur comes in many forms and is is not explain to people what they are looking for. alot of people on the site are inexpeirenced people looking for advise and telling people to bung 2 handfuls of sulphur in to pig oil is not advise.
I'm not saying don't try it!
I'm saying be very careful about how it's mixed, in what ratios and how often it is applied.
I've read serveral times on here, that peoples horses hair is falling out after trying sulphur and pig oil. these people are making up their on recipes and doing damage.
Flowers of sulphur (a bright yellow powder obtained from natural deposits of the mineral). is different from sulphur that is highly corrosive. the name sulphur should be used carefully.
I'm aware what flowers of sulphur is used for thanks!

Just apply petroleum jelly or vaseline or pig oil (various names!). Don't waste your money on flowers of sulphur if you do not need it (no skin to heal).

I apply pig oil and supher to my clydesdale and it keeps him completely free from mud fever and mite in his feather. The dosage that was recomended to me from the heavy horse society was one cup of sulpher to one liter oil..mix until it resembles yellow milk and apply to dry clean legs, rubbing well in ..Repeat once a month , perhaps sooner if very muddy conditions .. The mud seems to slide off and doesnt reach the inside delicate skin.
It does not need to be applied every day, the legs dont need to be hosed as the oil will give good protection .. Goes without saying it must be flowers of sulpher but if you buy from a horse feed place you will not be given the wrong sort .
I suggest that it would be helpful to ring the heavy horse society or Matthew Burks breeder of heavy horses and supplier of pig oil and sulpher.. they are both a mine of valuable advice.
PLEASE dont cut his feather.

Just apply petroleum jelly or vaseline or pig oil (various names!). Don't waste your money on flowers of sulphur if you do not need it (no skin to heal).

I find the Flowers of Sulphur made all the difference on my crew - they never get mud fever, heel mites, etc ... Long lush feathers ... When I tried just the mineral oil on its own I got clean feather but continuation of mud fever problems ...

and to be fair at £2.99 for two month's supply, it's not that expensive!

I find the Flowers of Sulphur made all the difference on my crew - they never get mud fever, heel mites, etc ... Long lush feathers ... When I tried just the mineral oil on its own I got clean feather but continuation of mud fever problems ...

and to be fair at £2.99 for two month's supply, it's not that expensive!

Fair enough, never knew the price but why buy it if you don't need it? If you just want to prevent mud fever/heel mites then I'd just use the pig oil on its own. If heel mites/mud fever arise then of course add the FofS.

Another vote for Pig Oil & Sulphur.

May had really bad mud fever last year and like your boy loves her field, even if it did become bad near the gate. If I tried to restrict her going out then she turned into demon horse. This year I started to apply Pig Oil & Sulphur just before the mud started and she has not had a sign of it despite managing to get really coated in mud.

if oil is applied to the skin it will not breath.
and plastering oil on the skin day after day will not help.

Sulphur comes in many forms and is is not explain to people what they are looking for. alot of people on the site are inexpeirenced people looking for advise and telling people to bung 2 handfuls of sulphur in to pig oil is not advise.
I'm not saying don't try it!
I'm saying be very careful about how it's mixed, in what ratios and how often it is applied.
I've read serveral times on here, that peoples horses hair is falling out after trying sulphur and pig oil. these people are making up their on recipes and doing damage.
Flowers of sulphur (a bright yellow powder obtained from natural deposits of the mineral). is different from sulphur that is highly corrosive. the name sulphur should be used carefully.
I'm aware what flowers of sulphur is used for thanks!

Now see there is where you get your facts wrong!!!!!!!!!!:cool:
You dont apply it day after day after day,it is applied ONCE every 2 weeks if severe,then when less so, once every 6/8 weeks.
I dont give advise i give ADVICE,thats all it is advice,you either take it or leave it.:rolleyes:
If you look back at my posts on various threads over the years,AND on my very first post on this thread, i make it very plain that it is "flowers of sulpher".
Also pig oil is a coconut based oil,so is a mineral oil,which allows the skin to breath.
Pick a fight with me,go for your life,ive helped alot of people on here with their horses,who are/have been, at the end of their tether with regards to their horses legs,they have usually tried everything but for those it has worked for ,im sure they are gratefull,for my help.
There have been a couple of occasions where the piggy mix hasnt worked,it wont work for everyone,ive never claimed it would.
If you are fully aware of "flowers of sulpher" then why all the bull above having a go at me,if you had taken the time to actually read my first post on this thread,you would see it clearly states the use of flowers of sulpher.

Last edited:
newrider.com