What height horse/pony do you all ride?

My mare is 15.3 hh and growing like a weed. I always use a mounting block of some sort, both for her sake and mine!

I own a 14.2hh cob, I tend to mount from the ground as I'm too lazy to train him to stand next next to the mounting block, the times I have tried to get 'mr fidget bum' to stand still!!:rolleyes:

hi i'm 5'11 and ride 16hh+ i can mount both off the ground and off a mounting block, but i choose mounting block as its less stress on the horses back. i save the mounting off the ground, for if i'm out hacking and was to have a fall, or have to get off to help a fellow rider remount again or something like that :0)

I can mount all the horses I ride from the ground, but at RS we have to use the mounting block and have to ask clients to use it.
If Im out on a hack and have to get off at a gate I either get up from the ground or look for a big stone or embankment.
If Im riding ponies under 13hh I tend to jump on from the ground without using the stirrup so I don't pull the saddle and back.

I can get onto anything upto 14hh from the ground bareback, and anything up to 17.2hh from the ground.

Tarquin is 15.1hh and I use a small stone wall to get on him.

I'm 5'6" and ride a 16.3hh tb x id, I can mount him both from the ground and from a mounting block (if he decides he will stand still:rolleyes: )

Am I the only one who finds it easier to use a mounting block on horses that won't stand still?
In that case I tend to hop on and put my feet into the stirrups later, yes this might be considered dangerous, but at least you don't end up hanging on by one foot if the horse decides to move away quickly.

I ride a 16hh, am 5ft 4 and can just about get on from the ground, if she is parked in a ditch and the stirrup is let down a couple of holes:D Much prefer to use a mounting block though - much more elegant:D

My horses are both 15.1hh i can easily hop on them from the ground. I also ride much bigger horses at college 17hh+ and i can also get on them from the ground. Granted, a few bigger, and more hops are needed but i can do it! :D Im 5ft8 and have quite long legs.

Dolls 15.2hh and Im 5' even with short legs... I get on fine western, but in english I CAN get on... but usually get a block. It takes alot of hauling, and the saddle tends to slip eventually... plus I feel horrible for wrenching her shoulders like that...

I'm 5 ft 1 in and Cisco is 14.2H. I don't need a mounting block, but I usually like to use the fence anyway because it's easier for both of us. I can get on our horse Fescue without a block too and he is 16.1H, but that's the tallest I can get on without a block.

I'm 5'2" but I've learned to mount onto my 17.3h hanoverian from the ground, when you come off enough times you learn how to get back on from anywhere, :p I can actually vault onto anything that is under 16h but after that I need to use the stirrup or get a leg.

A actually usually just use a mounting block though because I have been told that it is hard on the horses back, as well as you saddle to mount from the ground.

Some of the jockey that I ride with that can't be more than 5'4" can vault onto horses well over 17h with absolutely no issue, it's pretty cool to watch, I think they have springs in their feet.

I'm 5"8 and own a 15.2hh and mount from the ground, leg up and the mounting block, i normally use the mounting block though, and sometimes i ride the RS horses so i ride all heights from about 13hh to 17.2hh don't think i can get on the 17.2hh without a mounting block though :D :p

I can get on most horses from the ground without a leg up but i dont usually do and use a mounting block instead because its kinder for their backs and i often dont tighten the girth enough before i get on, especially with some of the rs horses as they hate it. Little ponies i can just hop onto, not very gracefully if their over 13.2 but hey!

With Tarquin i usually use a small wall at the bottom of the yard.

Im the same floob but then you know i am lol

im 5'4" and i used to ride a horse that was 16.2hh and ive never used a mounting block! i must be fairly flexible! :p

newrider.com
Back