What height horse/pony do you all ride?

jools

Oct 3, 2005
BLACKBURN
Just curious as to what height horse/pony you all ride and do you use a mounting block or mount from the ground?

I ride a 16.1h,and I need a block to mount.

16.2... and I'm only 5'6'', but I can mount from the ground no problem. Flexible you see! It doesn't help when she won't stand still though!

I'm tall and still cant mount from the ground lol,it kills my legs trying to pull myself into the saddle

I'm 5'10'' and ride a 15.2hh and a 16hh (16.1hhish, he'll get properly measured again soon, last time he wasn't mature and measured 16hh). I use a mounting block to get - I actually got a pair of painting ladders from B&Q, it's a long metal bench type step thing, which is fantastic for moving to the horse rather than trying to make the horse stand next to it. Also light weight and easy transportable.

I'm so unfit at the moment, I've been very sick over the past few years, and have put on weight and lost so much fitness, I want to be able to mount from the ground, at the moment it takes a million attempts - my mare gets annoyed at it, and my gelding just tends to give me a dirty look then plods off.

I also used a block to mount my 13.3hh pony when I had her, many years ago, I was also shorter, and rode bareback most of the time.

Riding schools should teach people how to vault up shouldn't they! I know a woman who vaults up onto her 17.2 with no visible effort whatsoever! My way of mounting is certainly not the tidiest method!!

I ride a 15.3hh and get on both ways. During cross-country they don't help us up if we fall, so if we can't get on from the ground we're kinda stuck.

I'm on something around 15-16 hands right now, but as I'm a bareback girl I used the fence. If I were using a saddle I don't think I'd have a problem until the 17.2 and up- I'm flexible also, just a bit under 5'7", with legs of someone taller :rolleyes:

jools said:
I ride a 16.1h,and I need a block to mount.

Oh... I know I need to.

Last week, I decided to get on without a block, cause i was lazy, it was my third time getting on this horse in half an hour! And I just swung on... and I felt the pain in my hip for the next few days.
(The horse wasn't even THAT big, he was around 16hh)

So... mounting block always! For the horses's sake... and mine! ;)

I don't really know how tall he is. :eek: Lance is 3 but he has deffinately grown since the last time I measured him. He was at 15hh but I am hoping that he will get 16hh. I like my boys big :D

I'm 5'1", so at the stable they give me the small horses. 14.1hh to 14.3hh
On occasion I get to ride the 15hh+.
But up until 3 yrs ago I had a lovely 15.3hh or 16hh (can't recall)thoroughbred mare. For her, because after the kids I became plump & not as fit, I definitly used a mounting block!

I have a 14hh even QH mare I need a block to get on her.
But, I don't always need a block for a 15.3hh horse I used to ride.
Usually I have to have a block due to a bad back.

I ride a 15hh horse (although have ridden 15.2 before as well) and don't need a mounting block. That said, I try and use one whenever possible... but it's good to know I can get up without one too.

My mare is 15.2 and I get on sometimes with a mounting block and sometimes not. I am not very flexible and my knees are pretty weak, so I can only get on from the ground if I lower the stirrup several holes! :p

My horse is 15.1hh and I'm 5'9,I mostly get on without a mounting block but he does'nt stnad still for very long so that can be quite difficult,I have trained him up to stand next to the mounting block now so I use that now.

newrider.com