What a totally sh1tty day

That sounds like the perfect result for Zak, and also the extra work that the RS will likely give him might suit him better and may see less unpredictable behaviour. I agree with joosie in that providing he's looked after well, it doesn't have to be you providing the care. He's obviously a lovely pony, but just doesn't suit your needs quite right.

Gem occasionally throws in a buck or two when ridden fast in a field. Trec mostly elicits the response as you finish an obstacle and then gallop on to make up time. Sometimes it's just a little too exciting and I get a vertical buck from her. Doesn't unseat me as I'm used to bucks, but she's not out to deck me. There's a difference between a vertical buck saying 'wahoo' and one saying 'get the hell off my back NOW!' It's deciphering actually whether it is a random act of excitement which is just too much for your girls, or malice. Either way, it's too much for them to handle, so they need a pony you and they can trust completely, warts n all. You can find that in another pony, it's just hard to find the perfect one! D's breeder breeds maxi cobs and sport horses, if you ever want either of the above for them and want a reliable horse, I'll happily pass you her details as although she may be a bit tricky to handle, her horses are all really lovely and very well behaved! She doesn't however, breed ponies! :(

Reactions: KP nut
Definitely needs to be a pony! They are only 30kg!
Back to pony hunting...... Back on the dispiriting merry go round of endless drives to see not as described horses!

Personal recommendations anyone????

Sorry to read this. Only you can decide what to do so I am not going to say keep or sell. It does sound out of character but children coming off is different to an adult.

My only random thoughts are if it's sporadic could it be ulcer related? Or a remembered pain. His saddle didn't fit when you got him.

Or as bucking deposits a rider a now learnt behaviour, although accidental, it's learnt.
I have seen ponies drop a shoulder before a jump and the kid go flying. On the lead rein the pony was total star looking after the same jockey over the same jumps, but off lead spent more time dumping them. He just didn't want to do more work.

Has he done it with an experienced rider on? Have you come off? I think you have said that the school uses him, has he bucked anyone else off or have they sat it?

Sounds like a perfect solution, KPN. How is your daughter?

She's ok, thank-you. She is still very sore and easily tired. But it's good to be home! We did not get onto the ward till 3am from A&E (accident happened at 5!) then her op was 9 the following morning so not much sleep by anyone really. But she's managed to go to the yard today!

Reactions: domane
NF he could have all sorts of pain problems I guess but nothing sticks out. He has no risk factors for ulcers: he is out 24/7, has unrestricted grazing. Shows no other symptoms - ie has a good appetite, healthy looking droppings etc. I really don;lt think I can start spending ££££ on speculative investigations searching for a syndrome. I have arranged another physio check just in case it is his back again but I doubt that will show anything up. He did his first RS day today - 2 half hour lessons and was angelic. Long may that continue!!

I hope it works out ok in the RS.

We finalised the sale today and I've told the girls. They are not happy about it but that is totally understandable. I felt I needed to make a quick decision and get it done, because the chances are that Zak will now be fabulous again for weeks. Twin 2 rode him in her lesson tonight and he was amazing. Cantering circles and lateral work. So if we still had him I'd find it increasingly hard to sell as I would start believing - as I have before - that his behaviour was just a blip and he was basically back to being our lovely, safe, genuine, fun Zak-Dude. But he has that streak in him and I would simply never forgive myself if I gave him another chance and he seriously injured one of the twins. If he was mine I would work through this with him, but he's theirs which makes it totally different.

I just wonder if seeing a pony on a yard I used to own is more painful than them going totally?

I did ask them that, I gave them the choice. They were absolutely clear that they wanted him to stay on the yard so they could still groom, pet and ride him. So I went with that.

Very similar situation with a horse on my yard a while back. Slightly different horse 17hh warmblood. He was amazing and a brilliant ride but sometimes he would just loose it and bronc his rider off for no consistent reason. He was sold to a novice man who was well aware of this trait. I know a novice man seems a bad match but he had a very knowledgeable partner and also the horse was to be kept on working livery at an extremely competent riding school. They have flourished together and he has not done it since. He is ridden a lot and has great variety in his workload so I guess in this situation that is what was needed to stop the flare ups. Probably not the same for Zak but hopefully he will settle into riding school life with no furthur problems and more experienced riders may be able to end his bucking outbursts.

YO did say work was often the solution so maybe the rs will do him good.

We bought Zak from a third party as the owners said they were too upset to be involved. But they did deliver him to me after we had paid and swapped passports. He was sold to me as a kick along but just as she was leaving the owner said "it's a good idea to lunge before you ride" and then disappeared! It just struck me as a very weird thing to say at the time for a pony sold as a bomb proof ploddy kick along and I just dismissed it. I still don't think lungeing before riding would stop the behaviour - he is normally great at first but strops when he has decided he has had enough not at the beginning of a ride. But the comment now makes me wonder if she was having a rather 11th hour twinge of conscience at selling me a pony with a behavioural issue???

Just caught up on all this. Really sorry about your daughter, it must have been a horrible time for you. Sounds like you've found a really good solution though and the girls must have learned such a lot from Zak. Good luck in your search for a new friend and I hope your daughter gets well soon.

Having a laid back lass, lunging before you ride could be something I might suggest to someone to warm her up. She does take a while for the cogs to rotate and this gets her thinking a bit more forward. It wouldn't be because she has any malice.

newrider.com