What a totally sh1tty day

KP nut

I'd rather be riding.
Dec 22, 2008
Currently on A&E with twin 1 waiting for admission. Her arm is badly broken. She came off Zak this afternoon when he deliberately threw her off twice in a row. This is the third such episode and I've run out of excuses for him or ideas. I can't trust him. 2 days ago I was on the yard when a teenager I know well broke her back. I won't ever trust Zak again and I've been reminded this week and today of the awful consequences of some falls. So he has to go. I am broken hearted. WHY WHY does he have this unpredictable streak? He is angelic for weeks on end then this? I saw the accident and it was no exuberant buck. It was a determined effort to dump her. Twice.

Plus my dog of 13 years is being put to sleep in the morning.

Hugs but no judgements please. I can't let them ride him again.

Lots of huge hugs. Your girls are your priority and you have to keep them safe. You might never know what causes the unpredictability which would mean taking chances every time they ride him. And yes, I know there's always a risk but this one is too high a risk to take. Hope twin 1 is OK, bless her.

Even bigger hugs for the dog. They leave a big hole.

Lots of hugs coming your way, I hope your daughter is doing okay and I'm sorry to hear about your dog

(((Hugs))) hope she's not too sore and uncomfortable. As a mum you should do what's right for your kids, no one can criticise that. Sell Zak, and find a horse without the unpredictable streak. If it's a consistent unpredictability, you can adapt and get used to it, it's the unreliability that would worry me. I had a horse similar - a total Saint, but when he flicked the switch it was like a devil had impersonated him and he'd just deck whoever was on his back. I totally understand the worry from his behaviour.

Sorry to hear about your dog so even more ((hugs)) for today.

Hugs to you and your girls. You have to put their safety first and you are the only person who can make that judgement. I hope that your daughter is not in too much pain. xxx

I am very sorry - Riding and kids is such a hard thing. You know that there is a risk even at the best of times and yet one knows one takes that risk oneself and if a child longs to ride it is so impossible to say No.

Aw no :( I am sorry for all of you. But although all horses have their flaws and horse ownership often means having problems to work through, I have always said that if I didn't have a horse I trusted, it wouldn't be the horse for me. Zak is fab but that kind of unpredictability just isn't suited to novice children. I hope your girls aren't going to lose too much confidence from this, they have been coming on so well.

So sorry to hear - a truly crap day for you. Lots of sympathy for losing your dog too. No words of wisdom about pone - it must be very upsetting, totally understand not wanting this kind of unpredictabilty. Lots of kind thoughts to you.

Thanks for kind words.
Daughter is just out of surgery to fix the break so I hope we can go home later today.
I have racked my brains for an answer to Zak's Mr Hyde like behaviour and just come up blank. It's hard to believe that the super gymkhana pony, the pony they canter bareback and jump hands free on, the ultra responsive, sweetly willing dressage pony is also the bucking pony intent on throwing his rider. Makes no sense. Not to me anyway. I don't know about their confidence in riding but my confidence in my ability to manage or understand horses is at an all time low .

Just looked it up. I'd love there to be a pain based explanation. But according to the veterinary article I found, a classic feature 'invariably found' is problems maintaining canter whereas Zaks canter is a lovely gait that he has no trouble with at all.
Physio has seen him 4 times and clean bill of health last 2 times. Plus yesterday he was not being asked to do anything challenging physically or emotionally. Just a short gentle canter on the field with a group of other ponies.

Hugs to you, it's a hard decision but when it's your kids safety that's what's important, unfortunately no matter how safe the pony they are still unpredictable and have a mind of there own. Hope twin makes a quick recovery and massive hugs for your doggy.

So sorry this has happened. Of course you have to put your kids' safety first. My old horse was just the same - bronced for no reason quite regularly until I came off, and I had every check done (including X-rays for kissing spines) and there was no pain-based reason, and in the end I was too scared to get on her so I had to rehome her. I rehomed her as a companion because I didn't feel comfortable selling her on with her issues (not that I am telling you what to do! Just what I did.)

I hope your daughter feels better soon, healing vibes coming her way, and I am so sorry about your dog, too.

Sometimes there doesn't need to be an excuse, he could just have been in a mood as such and decided he was done and wanted her off. He is a horse and can decide he's had enough on a day.

He is obviously not suited to being purely a kids pony and would maybe suited to an adult rider. Although any pony you may let them on can or may do the same on a given day.

Hope twin is ok.

So sorry to read this - on both counts. Time for some comfort all round I think! Hugs to you and the girls. Sorry you have to say goodbye to your dog too. But we often at our strongest and best when dealing with multiple traumas. Keep strong and slow things down for some family time and get daughter home for some love and cuddles.

If course you will put the girls first, but remember all this will have left you wrung out. Take your time sorting things out and don't rush into immediate action. A solution may present itself given time. The ponies can take a back seat while your daughter recovers and gets on the mend.

Don't panic, don't blame yourself and try not to get down about it. No one will judge you whatever you decide to do.

Reactions: sophie33
I am so so sorry to read this. About Zak, but about your dog as well. I am not sure how I would get through a day like that.

Sending you all the strength in the world.

newrider.com