to hog or not to hog

ChloeAnWomble

Chloe and Merlin
Feb 3, 2016
Aberystwyth
Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 22.53.29.png Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 22.52.54.png Screen Shot 2017-07-31 at 22.52.30.png

Help everyone! this is my boy merlin! his mane has been munched away and ive given up all hope of saving it! not even half is left! so thinking of hogging, do people think it will suit him?

In our yard hogging is used only for medical reasons. If there is a problem with the area of the neck lying under the hair of the mane.

Noooo ;)

Just keep trimming it will soon grow back :)

This. Trim the rest fairly short so the difference is less marked, and if it's someone in his field chewing his mane then keep it sprayed with something that tastes nasty (though check it doesn't irritate his skin).

Reactions: Blue Moon
This. Trim the rest fairly short so the difference is less marked, and if it's someone in his field chewing his mane then keep it sprayed with something that tastes nasty (though check it doesn't irritate his skin).
3/4 of the mane already looks hogged it's that short :( can't even trim to make it look less obvious without hogging him I've tried nasty tasting he rubs cause he hates anything being put on his mane so it's a loose loose

Believe me there's a difference between looking hogged & hogged, particularly when it comes to growing it out! Trim the rest, it'll still be obvious but not as much so as if the rest is long - do we have a shot of the mane side? - & gently massage the chewed out areas with something soothing to ease any soreness & also encourage growth. The fact that he hates anything being put on it makes me wonder if the skin is irritated or sore so maybe something like aloe vera gel would help while massaging will improve blood supply & stimulate growth. Maybe something like a strong smelling, and therefore hopefully tasting, fly gel either side of his crest but not actually on the mane area would put off whoever is chewing him?

I might shorten the rest to make it look more less nibbled and natural but not hogged.
I don't know when you took the last photo by it suggests he could do with losing some pounds as well. :)

Not to hog he's to pretty and cute looking. Just use something like megatek and wait for it to grow.

newrider.com