The way forward for Ziggy

Well, he hasn't escaped for a couple of days, surrounded as he is by knots and double locks!

He's bright and cheerful but still sore. I'm a bit concerned that the Prascend doesn't agree with him - he's just this morning gone up from half a tab to a full tab. I need to give it a good week though, we'll review next Monday.

Most suggest a very slow increase, at least a week-two between increases, if he's not managing it you may need to go back a step.

Well, he hasn't escaped for a couple of days, surrounded as he is by knots and double locks!

He's bright and cheerful but still sore. I'm a bit concerned that the Prascend doesn't agree with him - he's just this morning gone up from half a tab to a full tab. I need to give it a good week though, we'll review next Monday.

Very best wishes :)

It's not a miracle cure, the soreness won't vanish overnight particularly after a few escapes. Is he on any bute? If the escapes have caused more inflammation it may be worth giving him some for a few days to help take that down.

Why are you concerned that it isn't agreeing with him?

@carthorse I'm sure that the escapes didn't help! He seems to have eased into things now and is much less sore, but I am still giving him some bute just until his hoof has a chance to grow a bit.

He is getting really shirty about being kept in, which is not like him. I think I will have to let him out of the box from time to time to roll. I sponged him down today (it is SO hot) and let him out into his mini paddock (about 10 m long and 5 m wide, mostly dust now, no grass) and he dropped and rolled straight away, then came back inside. Completely coated with dust, of course!

It's difficult, isn't it? Ideally you need minimal movement, ie complete box rest, but at the end of the day he's a horse not a set of feet. Often once they accept they aren't going out they settle down, but that can take a while & in the meantime you either have a stressed horse or keep putting them out & upsetting the box rest routine. I'll hold my hands up & admit Little Un got through a lot of Sedalin the first couple of weeks.

It's difficult, isn't it? Ideally you need minimal movement, ie complete box rest, but at the end of the day he's a horse not a set of feet. Often once they accept they aren't going out they settle down, but that can take a while & in the meantime you either have a stressed horse or keep putting them out & upsetting the box rest routine. I'll hold my hands up & admit Little Un got through a lot of Sedalin the first couple of weeks.
I think that's it, he hasn't really accepted that he can't go and stand in the shade with his mate.

Perhaps if it gets a bit cooler he may settle...

Lots of Ziggy settling vibes. Could his friend graze just outside the shelter? Maybe just for a little while for company, even a net hung nearby?

So sorry Ziggy is sore, hot and fed up! And I'm sure you are hot and stressed too dealing with it all. Horrid illness :(

newrider.com