The tales of PonyPants

popularfurball

Learning all the time
Jul 18, 2005
North west
I am copying AR0... but I kind of want this in one place... to reflect when we have a bad day about how far we have come...

April 09

I was coming up to finishing uni, and had moved house. I decided I was ready to commit to a part loan or excising someones horse/pony for them. I placed the ad on Preloved on the Saturday night, and 1030 Sunday morning, I had a phone call from Silver's owner who had seen my advert and said her pony was challenging and needed riding - would I be interested?...

I agreed to help out with her - a chubby, 12hh Welshie called Silver Star. She kicked and bit. You couldn't bring her in the from the field without being bitten or dragged off, you couldnt groom her or cuddle her. She stood at the back of her stable, and spun if you opened the door. It took three of us to tack her up, and three to get me mounted on her.

She rode like a dream the first few times, and then the napping began. This is my first post on NR, desperate for help...

I am helping out with a pony for someone who's daughter has lost interest/is scared of the pony.

She is fine to catch, but can drag you back to the field;

She bites and kicks with fronts and backs when you are handling her (such as grooming, putting on her sweet itch lotions, skipping her out!)

She spins and kicks when you try to go near her with a saddle (which is properly fitted and was bought and fitted for her recently as a result of behaviour)

Gettin on involves spinning like the wind and a gymnasts vault.

She is better when ridden, goes forward off the leg - she just gets silly (plants and spins) when with her bestest friend (who is part Arab so she copies Silver... which leads to chaos).

I tried the firm "No" and sometimes a smack on the shoulder with back of hand, but she doesnt even acknowledge it, i've tried the calm praise way but again she doesn't acknowledge it and the only thing I found that works is either rewarding with carrots (which is making her nip) or letting her eat grass outside while I groom her. Putting saddle on takes 2-3 of us - she is only 12"2!!!

In terms of riding, if she stops I could "kick" her til the cows come home - she isnt scared shes bombproof pretty much, and she doesn't flinch - even with a stick it makes no difference. If I let me reins go (to indicate that I want her to go forwards to make sure Im not giving mixed mesaages) she takes it as an invitation to turn around a head for home. Funnily enough she is fine out by herself once she has left the barn in the direction she wants to go - she is very dependant on the arab so likes to go past her field first). The problem comes if in company I have to get off and lead her (because I wont let her win on naughtyness) because then I can't back on unless the other person gets off. She has had back/feet/teeth checked and before this week (shes not been ridden this week) her sweet itch hasnt flared up as being closely managed - im sure its just naughtyness.

Not sure of the best way to correct behaviour - we dont have asmall paddock/scchool or I would try some of the join up type stuff...

May 2009
I had loads of useful advice from the last thread, and began to question everything that was accepted. Shamefully, I had never done this - I had grown up riding and working at a riding school with very well looked after horses/ponies and everything fitted and worked, and if it didnt, we were rarely there to experience it as vet/saddler etc only came out during the week.

I questioned her saddle, which turned out to be a huge problem. Following advice from here, and finally managing to get a saddler to come and see her, I got her a maxam which resulted in a dramatic change of behaviour in seconds - we put it on her back, took it off and after the first time she realised it wasnt the same as her old one and had no problems putting it on. I could now tack her up with no head collar on and therefore loose in the barn with no problems at all.

June 2009
I had been riding madam, and we had been doing well at weight management (although still overweight). I went away for two weeks, and when I came back, I rode her once. She was unhappy at being tacked up - all be it mildly (swishing tail and glaring at me).

She then cast a shoe. This left her foot sore for two weeks, so she was unridden. She expanded width ways out of the maxam, and I was back to no saddle, so we began the weight crusade.

I had already tried her in the lami field, where she was bullied and got double barrelled while I was trying to get her out of the gate.

So I tried lunging, I eventually realised she would lunge on two lines, but didnt understand one line. Hwoever I couldnt get to grips with holding so much - and with out a whip she just kept dragging me off for grass or standing still and refusing to move! I also had the same problem with long lining - she just stood there and a loooked at me as if to say "what you doing back there?!"

I then invested in a grazing muzzle... which cut her lip. So I couldnt ride, lunge or limit the food intake - I was really stumped.

August/September
The last peroccupied June and July, and before we knew it, it was August. I got offered a job on the basis of clearing security checks - so I asked if I could buy Silver from her previous owner. She said yes, and so she became my baby. She is not my perfect pony - she is complicated, moody, difficult, I have spent most of the past few months with her being unridden and if I was picking and choosing, I would have one more around the 13"2 mark.... but I couldn't not buy her now that I could fund her, we had come to far to throw it away.

And I loved her. That was my biggest problem!

So, I have now bought my baby, and everything seems to be pretty good - she is generally pleasant to be around - not really bad days, just average and good ones. Her sweet itch is really well under control at the moment, with a bite only every few weeks now.

She had learnt that washing her tail is not the end of the world, and now no longer kicks and spins when trying to wash her tail. I was grooming her untied up, rugging her loose, she was occasionally coming to call - I will try and upload the video soon of my favourite day of her coming to call. She was coming out of her shell - she enjoys cuddles, and when I hurt myself in the field and had to sit down she stood and nuzzled me until I got up. She now comes to her door when she hears me in the morning, and grooms me.

We had a professional photo shoot, with some lovely photos IMO! I am going to get one framed and put up at home - she ensured she thoroughly humiliated me though by scarpering off at every opportunity!

_MG_2688-2.jpg

_MG_2747-1.jpg

I have now bought a Libra Trec/Trail saddle, and am experimenting with this as an option - she was off the saddlers width scale as she has fat pads either side of the withers which makes it difficult to fit when they fill out. I am currently sourcing a haf pad and suitable girth, and will then retry several times to see how she goes in it and if she likes it or not.

She is now out in the lami field as I reintroduced her last week, and seems to be coping although not enjoying it a lot. She was latched onto a nice timid mare in the field, but the last two days she has been in a a STINKING mood ( I got kicked for fastening leg surcingle last night :rolleyes:) so has been lashing out at everyone inc other horses. So... that is us so far!

That top photo, awesome. Both pics are, but the top one is intriquing. "I love mares",

Was she "thinking of biting", or "begging a scratch".

Great picture,

Keep on, keepin on

Jack

That top photo, awesome. Both pics are, but the top one is intriquing. "I love mares",

Was she "thinking of biting", or "begging a scratch".

Great picture,

PMSL. Neither ironically! She was thinking "I'm just gonna sniff to make sure she has'nt got anymore apples for me...then I'll scarper!"

This is is the next photo....

_MG_2708-2.jpg

She's such a monkey :rolleyes::D

November

We had lots of behaviour issues as she was so unhappy out in the Lami field with the other horses in there... It resulted in lots more biting and kicking and I had no hope of rugging her or skipping out whilst she was stabled. I asked the farmer if I could use another field, which he agreed too - so she went out in there with a couple of others. She was queen of the field and happy as pie :)

That was until fireworks. They had a firework displya in the field, and didnt bother to tell me. Thankfully I had stabled her anyway just in case fireworks went off as there are public areas adjoining fields. phew! Anyway, they then decided we couldnt use the field anoymore, so I bought moving us forward and off we went.

We moved to a yard that had a school and better facilities, nicer fields etc. It all went well, she settled quickly and then it snowed. We had been riding out every other day and it was going well - had saddle sorted and a visit from poohsmate which she was uneasy about!

The snow meant I had to walk about 40mins each way from where I left the car to get to her - it was a nightmware! She started becoming inseperable from the other horse she was with and she was hardly going out in the fields.

January/February

Well by chance I spotted an advert in the tack shop - "Grazing for horse available. Phone:"

No other information. I phoned and was told it was 2acres and there were other horses there. I thought that it was going to be awful, but agreed to go and see it. Im SO glad I did! It turned out to be a 2 acre field, with other horses in the surrounding fields! I said I wanted it, did my research into buying a field shelter, got that sorted and finalised the field.

I moved without too much fuss (apart from leaving the old yard and getting in the trailer!), and she settled quickly with a lot of excited running about!

The field shelter was built, and Ive sorted the fencing out (mostly) and poo picked for HOURS!!!!!!!!

The littles came along! Mr Rascal himself :D

He is a miniture shetland, and lives up to his name! In the week I have had him, he has pulled down a brick wall and escaped, pinched numerous items - including a carton of orange juice which popped over his face and made him jump (silver licked it all off him!!!!!!!!!!!), emptied the box that has rugs and brushes in, got chalk powder up his face, finished a likit in record time, convinced madam she should go in the shelter, and they are now using it as a toilet :mad:... and thats just the half of it! He is hysterical! But they seem to be settling well now :)

28022010287.jpg

28022010301.jpg

28022010279.jpg

Last edited:
March

Well March has started well!!!!!!!

We went for our first ride today! She stood nicely for me to mount - one of the few times I have known her too!!!!! I didnt think I would get on, but I was so determined I think that helped. We only had one problem - she wouldn't go back for me to untie littles - I was going to lead him from her... So he took out his revenge on the box I keep the energiser in for the fencing and destroyed it!!!!!

It was a nice little potter, I wasnt bothered where we went so we just ambled about the field, could have done it all day!!!!

Tacked up and ready to go
07032010329.jpg

07032010330.jpg

07032010331.jpg

Visitng the neighbours!
07032010336.jpg

The section of fencing still to do LOL
07032010337.jpg

07032010341.jpg

07032010348.jpg

After ride and shuggy hoodon feed
07032010349.jpg

07032010350.jpg

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if I had your photoshop abilities I'd have added in a wee pink rucksack in that rambler's photo - love it!!
Really think someone else on here was right about your two, definite children's book potential - could fund your neddy farm expansion!:p

Ok and lastly, at the risk of being smacked round the head for giving cheek, the last photo really should have BAAAAA!!!! underneath it, not YAAAAAY!!
(Silver's gonna hunt me down now isn't she)

Last edited:
22042010539.jpg

April

Mum had that woman out too see us who insists on picking our feet up for ages and giving me a pedicure. Its a bit of a joke really - mum knows we are both happy dirty so the same applies to pedicures, just don't see the point. We both made it clear that its not a good idea, although I have to say I did make sure I behaved marginally better as I would rather this woman come back than the man who used to hold my feet up for ages. So had to toe the line a little bit.

Mum kept giving me this bits of apple too - they tasted really funny - she was talling the foot woman something about it relaxing me. I just pretended it worked so I got more bits of apple - but after a few bits the stuff she was putting on them made them taste real nasty so I hid the glass bottle from her. (Unfrotunatley she found it six weeks later - I thought she'd forgotten about it drat!)

Mums been really worried about my feet since then and keeps bloomin' well picking them up. She's not picking the back ones up though which is a bit strange - I hold them up like Im ready so she gets tempted and I can swqing it about to try and scare her - but she isn't tempted! She kleeps muttering something about footsore and cavities, but hey. Its getting a bit better, I will now let her pick up my front feet without too much of a problem, and not tied up (although she traps me on the gravel so I cant go anywhere anyway!!)

We then had a couple of weeks where she kept walking us about the field. And then she tied me to the ground - or so she thought. I think she was having a dillusional few weeks - must be bad at wherever she disappears to for hours between being with us - so I just let her think she had tied me to the ground. Did mean I got my dinner faster though so was worth the effort! Tried to tell little man that he should listen, but he has the attention span of a gnat and just couldn't concentrate. Mum got cross with him, all shw wanted him to do was stop, walk and trot and he couldn't manage that! What a plank!

24042010602.jpg

24042010603.jpg

Thats the other thing shes done, nutty woman. She seems to like sleeping when I sleep - Twice now shes come and laid next to me while Im napping. Id already decided she has issues, think this is just one of those things (like hugs) that Im just gonna have to put up with. I roll my eyes and sigh at her, but shes like a cat that got the cream and just sits there grinning from ear to ear - what a freak!

She's also started on some stupid routine - we are made to be on the gravel and in the shelter all day and she lets us out at night. Shes so silly though - we just dont eat much in the day so we are really hungry for night time and PIG OUT!!!! Its brilliant - although not as good as just being out all the time. But again another one of those things of Mums we jsut have to endure. Its a bit of a pain being stuck in with mr little endless energy - I just snooze all day but he bounces off the walls!

Food.jpg

And now. The most ultimate? Mr Handsome from next door has moved in! The tart who is friends with him shall have to MOOOOOOOOOOOVE OVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR cos I'm coming through! He will be mine ASAP - Im working jolly hard at it. Mum says there is too much grass for such little mouths (yeah rights, she just needs to let us eat it instead of keeping us in durr!!)... but he has moved in LUSH :D Im enticing him in slowly, playing the hard to get mysterious girl but he is SO all over me already! Just hoping mum lets us play with them, that stupid fizzy tape gets in the way of us kissing.

06052010009.jpg

16052010185.jpg

May

Well, what a month! Although shes not cried, shouted and stamped as much as she has been doing (The place she disappears to inbetween pestering us must be making her do different things or something) shes been on another planet still. I wish she would just be the same, its one thing after another with her! BLIMEY!!!!!!!

It all started rather calmy really, I thought wonderful, that places she vanishes too are doing something different. She was leaving me alone and we were getting along great.

17052010208.jpg

Then my itching started. I cut my bum open too by accident and silly woman went nutty and started examining it everyday. I mean like twice a day, wiping it, photo-ing it, creaming it... You get the flaming jist. What a pain. She took my rug off me (thankfully) and put another one on. Looked stupid, just what I wanted to convice Haffie that I was the one he wanted. So that relationship went down the pan before Id even got anywhere.

But then she started on my legs too - I dont care if Im bleeding, it feels nice stupid mong! I cant bite with that skanky cream on. So tight! So she has been washing me and putting cream on and ENDLESS spray on me *Sigh*. She is just such high maintenance :rolleyes:.

And stupid fool got some new wash for me - Little shi* keeps biting my tail because it smells of mint. Like he's not annoying and doo lally enough as it is without him hanging off my tail!!

16052010191.jpg

So, lame month really. Then her mate turns up. Then it went ten fold *groans*.

I mean look at this. Speaks for itself really. Twerp. Sending me out like this.

27052010300.jpg

Anyway, she managed to convince mum that she could have urrm polite discussions about where we go when she rides. What a stinking ball ache to be quite frank. And I was nice all day, I was friendly, I showed off suitabley - let mum pick up all my feet, touch me all over and not even flinch. And she repays me with riding me all the time all of a sudden?

So we went out most days that week, and a few times last week. He friend came back to get me the other day, but she took mum too. Was a bit confused about this. I only go in them wobbly things when we move home, in the past my mum doesnt turn up the other end - but this mum has turned up all three times! Anyway, little swine. Turned out we were on a day trip out for a ride. I was well behaved though, and ambled about with mums friends lad. Hes a cutey - he climbed up a vertical embankment, and his mum was on the end of the rope - well I wasnt having him show off - he might be a welsh mountain pony but so am I!!!!!! :mad:. So I went up too, but mum shrieked so thought id etter get down - spoil sport!

Also found a mega trick. Mum got off as my feet were sore, and I was going through a gate and them lether things she puts her feet in got stuck. She'd undone my waist line support, and next thing, saddle went over my bum, down my back legs and I walked off without it. GENIUS! So, if she ever leaves me stood about unsupervised in my saddle, Ive sussed it :D That wobbly thing werent nearly as bad as I thought though so got in and out of it nicely for mum.

Mum didnt tell me though that handsome was moving out, so that was a bit rubbish to find him back in his field. Nice to have some peace and quiet, but wish could have said bye - last time I spoke to him I kicked him three times on the bounce :eek:

Anyway, that pretty much our month - although figure its time for foot women to be coming out - mum keeps muttering about it - so I wouldnt let her pick my feet up tonight HAHAHAHAHA - karma or what :p

Little gnat hasnt improved at all. Still concnetration issues, he just cant leave me alone. Cant even be bothered to argue about him eating my breakfast little monkey.
13042010519.jpg

Anyway... Itching is back in force, mum stressed as I made my tail, face and legs bleed today. So must be off really.
16052010191.jpg

Heh Silver, good to hear your mum's a bit more emotionally stable, not so good about all the itching though. :(Maybe she'll come up with some sort of super catsuit (or ponysuit) that will be both functional but sexy - get that haffie's eye to turn again.:p
Has wee man found his spots yet?

Hehe that was brill, thanks clare that cheered me right up :D

They are so cute in those pics, like butter wouldnt melt and all that ;)

and wowieee get you going on all them treks out ;):D

newrider.com