Text Etiquette-Is There Such A Thing?

I am terrible about replying to texts - I normally do eventually but I never reply straight away. I'm usually busy doing something so pretty much ignore the text alerts - I figure that if it is important than the person would ring me. None of my close friends ever bother texting me - they gave up on that years ago!

I don't have an iphone either. I do use FB but only for half an hour or so in the evenings. I can't stand people who are glued to their phones all day.

I hate talking to people on the phone, it's such a rude method of communication. "Talk to me now, talk to me now, stop what you're doing, talk to me now!" so I'd much rather text or email - I figure people will reply when they can.

In terms of using my phone for internet I do all the time. I can reply to emails and even read NR on the train going to and from work

I'm permanently glued to my iPhone...
I usually try to text or PM rather than ring, but sometimes I don't reply right away if I'm not sure what to say.
I have also sent texts at stupid times of the day (night / morning?!). As far as I'm concerned, it's the recipients problem if they couldn't be bothered to put their phone on quiet before bed! Not my fault...

I refuse to use phone when i set foot on the yard, if i can't spend quality time with the cob, its a pretty poor state of my commitment.
Unless i am taking photos, quite often the case. She has just won a rug so had to get photos for here else i would be told off. :mstickle:
People using their phone while riding is another thread, i do feel its annoying. Up to the rider if they don't want to fully concentrate on what is meant to be a pleasure, but i do not hack with such people.

I don't like texting, I think it's rude and impersonal. I'm not a mobile phone person anyway, I have a bog-standard Nokia which I use as a clock (I don't like wearing watches), an alarm clock, and to make phone calls in case of emergencies while I'm working. When other people would send a text, I make a phone call... hence, since I wouldn't phone someone at 2am unless it was a proper emergency, because that just seems so inappropriate and rude, I wouldn't send a text at 2am either. But if it really bothers people they can always turn their phone off - although the way some people are dependent on their mobile makes me wonder if they actually know it has an off button...

Social networking has worked wonders for me as I have friends & family in Australia & USA. It means I can see photos of peoples' weddings I couldn't get to, their kids I've never met, see them come home from Afghanistan safe, see & read about what they've been up to - all without having to dedicate long periods of time & cost to talk on the phone. I appreciate Skype is free but I can see every few days or so who's been up to what, and multiple people at that. It's brilliant and is the reason I would hate to be without FB now.

This!
In the last 7 years I have lived in Cornwall, Cardiff, the Channel Islands, two different regions of Italy, southern Portugal, and northern France. I have friends and acquaintances all over the place and there is no way I could phone and email them all on a regular basis, there's not quite enough hours in the day once my 12 to 16 hours of work are over :happy: I love Facebook because everybody's there in one place and it's such an easy way to keep in touch with them all. FB actually makes me more communicative than I would be without it.

Last edited:
newrider.com