Text Etiquette-Is There Such A Thing?

newforest

Mar 15, 2008
Two examples.

People that send it at some stupid hour, when they wouldn't call you at this time. If your phone is accidently on and you get woken up. I am meaning 2am when they could put it into draft or go to bed.

The non replying person-you send and get no response. Doesn't matter they are busy, doesn't need a reply, or do you feel that sits under rude?

Only reason i ask this is because one person on the yard always ignores you, hardly ever answers the phone either. So anything important i now think well tough why should i waste my time.

Other person is a "friend" who wants to stay in touch. (though since overheard them bad mouthing me i question the first bit hence in quotes! Not decided how to deal with that yet since makes last phonecall fake.

My MIL sends us texts regularly at 1am. She sends the most banal of messages - eg: I am going to Whitby for the day tomorrow with Aunt Jenny. So I won't be texting you or ringing you until tomorrow night.

We have learned to turn the text alert off - lest I reply rudely when I've been woken up at that hour for no good reason!!!!

I think I could be a non-reply person. Or a one day late reply.
When out and about I am good about carrying my phone but a weekend at home? it may well run out of battery life and I don't charge it again for a day or two.

Since I am so bad about checking messages I have to remind myself not to use the text feature like email - only use it at times when I'd make a phone call. Because to me I use it like email: I check it when I feel like it.
I also bad spotty reception out here in the sticks so if it's a picture mail it could be stuck in sending for awhile until it finally gets enough connection to send it off

I think I could be a non-reply person. Or a one day late reply.
When out and about I am good about carrying my phone but a weekend at home? it may well run out of battery life and I don't charge it again for a day or two.

^^^^^^^Yep, this is me.

I think, however, the WORST thing is going out for the evening with friends and sitting at the dinner table to find out they are on their phones or often posting to their facebook page such riveting things as 'In Zizi's with LB, had a glass of wine. Now going to have some pasta'

I mean, REALLY???:stomp:

^^^^^^^Yep, this is me.

I think, however, the WORST thing is going out for the evening with friends and sitting at the dinner table to find out they are on their phones or often posting to their facebook page such riveting things as 'In Zizi's with LB, had a glass of wine. Now going to have some pasta'

Yes i would find that rude. I can not use the phone.
I don't use facebook-genuine friends stay in touch don't they?

Argh does my head in people who don't reply! I went to an equine car boot sale today looking for a cheap rug for my friends pony, tried ringing she didn't answer, this was at 2pm, I've text her this afternoon too and she hasn't replied! I know she's going to work at 6 so she will have her phone, I did her a bloody favour and I bought the rug for £15 as she had pre-told me to buy if I find anything, I just want to check its ok with her and to get the money and no fricking reply!!! Grrr! Well I should be able to sell it at a profit if she doesn't agree but that's not the point!

I am the worlds worst for replying, mainly because we have abysmal coverage here and I may often be able to read the message...but just dont have enough signal to reply so I leave it until later and the forget altogether!

I also often get texts a day or so late, again I think this is to do with our coverage. I was woken by a text alert at 2.30 the other morning, really annoying as it made me panic because one of my sons was in hospital at the time, but it just didnt send it to me at the right time due to lack of signal...I turn it off when I go to bed now.:unsure:

I work in a call centre so my phone has to be on silent and tends to stay that way permanently. It's never far away from me, but I miss calls and texts all the time.
I don't ignore folk, but I'm a hermit by nature and if I've been too exposed to human contact that day or week, it won't matter who has text me, I might not respond immediately as the effort involved feels too much....forming sentences sometimes takes frazzles my ickle brain! Equally, I appreciate other folk might operate in the same fashion and don't feel annoyed if someone doesn't respond. I just don't want them to feel they have to lie to me when they so respond. I hate the 'I never got your message' reply. Just say you forgot or were too busy or didn't know what to say.
I'm also occasionally guilty of reading a text on the run, vow to respond later and then forget for days.

I'm also occasionally guilty of reading a text on the run, vow to respond later and then forget for days.

This is me... most folk who know me don't expect a response for a while, equally so I don't expect people to respond to me straight away either, I kind of figure that other people also have busy lives and if it's important just phone me I'll always pick up if I can.

I'm either very very good and respond straight away, or if I'm busy I respond later but then my memory is rubbish and I forget to.

Interesting replies about the forgetting.

Does this depend on whether you check your phone or not? You would still have the icon up for messages. I know some friends just hate it and won't use at all. Others can't see enough to read it and i know that from the weird replies that do not make sense.

I I read my message and don't respond then I have no new messages anymore to remind me to respond. It's not that I don't think the person is important that makes me forget, hell I've forgotten some pretty important stuff over the years too!

With my hubby, I have to leave a voice mail, text and email him if I need to get hold of him urgently because he's so busy and often can't get to the phone as he's in meetings and then there's a huge amount of people to catch up with so I do all 3 as I don't know what he'll check first.

Same for me.. this reminds me i need to reply to you as well :eek:

2am texts are no-no full stop. If its that urgent then call me. I am quite lucky as if i do happen to receive a 2am text message then i rarely hear it.

oooh i hate this. This is anti-social & very rude :banghead:

My phone's taken to changes it's connection several times a day, sometimes i'll loose signal for up to 3 days, and unless I realize (I don't get many messages so don't tend to notice) and turn it off and back on (usually sorts it out), it can be days before sender gets a reply. The last time was a week!
Note to one self - take phone in and complain to O2 about this problem..

Oh and I refuse to use phone as a personal computer to surf the net, I only use it for making calls and texting..

I think I am one of the remaining few people in life to not have a smart phone. At present I feel I have no need or requirement for one - my phone is a phone (with a handy camera at times) but nothing else. I do find it rude when I'm with spending time with other people, out for dinner/lunch/drink or whatever to find them on FB or checking something or other - and there's me with my ol' non-smart Nokia. I seem to cope just fine not logging into FB throughout the day, surely it can wait 'til you're home?? No? Well then that's a bit sad tbh.

As for text messages I can be rubbish at replying, usually like FM says I get it while on the fly & can't reply, only to then forget. Admittedly more often than not it's my mother so I sometimes choose to not reply as she texts me quite frequently!

I usually only get texts at bizarre hours if they're from my sister in Australia - usually it doesn't make me up & it doesn't bother me. Random hour texting works both ways! I have happened to open my messages before to find a text I receive from her in the night that woke me, I read it, went back to sleep & promptly forgot about it. Woops!

Oh and I refuse to use phone as a personal computer to surf the net, I only use it for making calls and texting..

I don't have computer as i don't need one. This phone does what i need which is minimum but i don't want to be tied to have to having a computer.

Not on any social networks, they feel fake to me. Friends stay in touch, you end up being friends with people you don't even socialize with! Initially i thought it was good for family but what's wrong with actually talking to people these days.

Not on any social networks, they feel fake to me. Friends stay in touch, you end up being friends with people you don't even socialize with! Initially i thought it was good for family but what's wrong with actually talking to people these days.

Social networking has worked wonders for me as I have friends & family in Australia & USA. It means I can see photos of peoples' weddings I couldn't get to, their kids I've never met, see them come home from Afghanistan safe, see & read about what they've been up to - all without having to dedicate long periods of time & cost to talk on the phone. I appreciate Skype is free but I can see every few days or so who's been up to what, and multiple people at that. It's brilliant and is the reason I would hate to be without FB now.

It's also handy for keeping in touch with other horsey people from yards gone by who are now not local and who also have little free time to chat & meet regularly. And I get to see some pics of their lovely neddies :happy:

On a more local scale yes I totally agree it can make us lazy about keeping in touch and a lot of people go OTT - I don't wish to know the state of somebody's vagina post giving birth, who ate what where & when and whose cat has just barfed up on the living room floor. No need :ninja:

newrider.com