Suggest some Unique Names for horse?

Huggy

Nov 11, 2018
Oh goodness! So hard when one doesn't know the horse! Many years ago, some one down our way had a chestnut Arab called Zariq. It suited, but I don't know if it was male or female. They called it Sarry for short.

AmirPelavin01

Uphere Amirr
Oct 28, 2020
India
That does seem challenging. The common rule of thumb for horses is to adopt the owner's company name or parts of their parents. If you're chosing from nothing then you might end up having the same name as existing ones. In Japan, there are horses with humble names like Lucky Lilac then there are badass names like Deep Impact or Chrono Genesis. Do you have a favourite band that is not yet taken as a horse name? Maybe you can use that band name then add a second or third word.

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
My grandfather called his horses either by normal human forenames, John or by place names, the Place where they were bred or purchased. When he went to war and kept a diary, it was noticeable that his friends also had horses called by human forenames or names from myths and stories.
The strangest naming pattern I have seen is the name Mouse so widely used in the American West for tough mules and quarter horses. Mouse is the hero horse in the novel Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurphy.

Jane&Ziggy

Jane&Sid these days!
Apr 30, 2010
Surrey Hills
My grandfather called his horses either by normal human forenames, John or by place names, the Place where they were bred or purchased. When he went to war and kept a diary, it was noticeable that his friends also had horses called by human forenames or names from myths and stories.
The strangest naming pattern I have seen is the name Mouse so widely used in the American West for tough mules and quarter horses. Mouse is the hero horse in the novel Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurphy.
Oh @Skib now I know I need to read that book. I have it on my Kindle but haven't started it yet. But I hope the hero horse doesn't get killed, they so often do in novels....

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Jessey What breed would you suggest? Cafe 69
L Suggest me some good names and bit latest names for my new doggy? Cats, Dogs and other Animals 0
pepsimaxrock dare i suggest one or two steps up in the confidence stakes Confidence Club 1
P What colour would you suggest? Competing 2
J Leahy feed what would you suggest ? Metabolic 9
ladyluxor Anyone suggest a dog calmer?? Cafe 13
laceyfreckle Can someone suggest a saddler in essex that can fit some saddles???! Tack & Saddlery 2
Magbag Suggest a good book Cafe 23
Remmy Looking for two neds - what do you suggest? Breeds, Colouring and Genetics 7
posie needing a little more now... what do you suggest? Metabolic 3
S Can anyone suggest any good books.... First Timers 4
rianne21 What do you suggest? Hoof Care 6
horsemadmandy who can suggest somewhere to ride ? Older Riders 5
posie suggest a bit for showing... Tack & Saddlery 16
B Suggest a saddle for this back then! Tack & Saddlery 5
E Anyone suggest a really STRONG electric fence supplier! Horse Care 14
P can anyone suggest Tack & Saddlery 1
F Can anyone suggest me a winter feeding regime? Metabolic 2
F Would anyone like to suggest a feeding regime for my TB please?? Metabolic 3
*Solo's Mum* what would you suggest? General 9
Laura2184 Which bit would you suggest? Tack & Saddlery 10
M Hubby wants a horse - what would you suggest? Older Riders 23
Lucyad Can anyone suggest best type of rubber matting for trailer floor General 1
No_Angel need good brakes, what would you suggest? Training of the Horse and Rider 2
Y what bit would you suggest? Training of the Horse and Rider 22
DITZ Can anyone suggest a bit to stop leaning? Training of the Horse and Rider 15
K Suggest a pony 1999 Archive of Posts 22
Jane&Ziggy Your very own unique aid (cue)? Training of the Horse and Rider 17
P unique lady Cafe 8
ILurfSmurf Unique gift ideas! Cafe 5
J SOS!- Unique, Snazzy Showname Needed!!! General 0
tbone err an intresting/unique picture of t-bones new style of jumping.... Competing 12
Maci Unique Ride??? 2001 Archive of Posts 4
P I need help with show names!! Competing 4
Jessey Pet names Cafe 24
Jessey Names for things Cafe 44
tikkitti Horse with 3 names and 6 owners. Cafe 12
risky buisness User names. Forum Technical Help & Site News 2
B Horse Names Cafe 22
mystiquemalaika Changing horses names Cafe 4
Sunshine-x Favourite horse names? Cafe 30
diamonddogs Let's hear your stable and show names! Cafe 42
Wally Official names Cafe 2
me_n_super_abby Horsey names, add yours... Cafe 22