Sid's diary

Skib

Dec 21, 2003
London
Point missed. Our feet are not hurting. But it was assumed my horse's feet were hurting her. Of course I permanently ride the worst kept and the worst treated horses on NR.

PePo

Jun 4, 2014
Point missed. Our feet are not hurting. But it was assumed my horse's feet were hurting her. Of course I permanently ride the worst kept and the worst treated horses on NR.
I can't see where anyone has suggested (or outrightly stated) that you ride the worst kept and treated horses Skib?

FWIW, I've not referenced your RS horse - my responses were never about you, as this was Jane's thread, my posts were solely in relation Jane and her horse.

Horses can choose a surface just because - no one has said otherwise. But, it would be remiss of me not to pick up that it *could* be due discomfort when mine showed similiar behaviour in similiar situations. Personally, I'd rather assume that it was discomfort and act accordingly until we can reasonably assume it wasn't - but people are free to make up their own minds :)

It's tricky at the best of times making a decision about low grade discomfort when you know the horse well, let alone when the horse is new to you.

Last edited:

Jessey

Dec 20, 2004
Suffolk, UK
Seeking softer ground is indicative of discomfort, your feet may not be hurting, but it is less comfortable. I never said about it being excruciatingly painful or anything similar and I did not say that the horse you ride is the worst kept or worst treated, you are putting words in my mouth.

Reactions: carthorse

Mary Poppins

Oct 10, 2004
Visit site
I wonder if it all depends on how stoic the horse is? As soon as Bens shoes came off he didn't appear the least bit sore at all. He always takes the quickest route so that may be on grass, tarmac, shingle or through puddles. I have never had the slightest reaction from him. But then again, I only had the slightest reaction (just a slight wince) that he had a sore back, and he ended up have 2 sets of physio under sedation plus monthly treatment for 6 months to put that right. Both the vet and the physio were horrified at how sore he was, but I didn't know (it didn't help that I paid for a 'back person' to come out 3 times who told me he was fine, but that is another story!).

Our most recent hospital visit shows that his mouth is severely swollen and ulcerated, but until he started dropping his hay in huge clumps I didn't know about this either and I wonder how long it has been going on? It makes me think that horses differ greatly in their ability to show and communicate pain, but this doesn't mean that they don't feel it. In my opinion we owe it to our horses to be on the constant lookout for pain and discomfort. I would rather overreact if I was worried rather than assume everything was OK.

Reactions: Huggy

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006

The others were making a valid point @Skib because it's very common for horses with sore or uncomfortable feet or joints to seek out grass verges or other softer going and so if a horse regularly does so it's a question to be raised. I know if I'm walking I'll seek different types of footing - grass over hard, level over uneven - because it's easier for my ankles and so I get less joint pain. Now it could be as simple as the horse is looking to hop onto the grass in the hope of a canter - I've ridden a few of those over the years too - but I would always consider mild discomfort too.

As for your comment about permanently riding the worst treated horses on NR - where on earth has that come from? No-one has said or implied that, here or elsewhere that I've seen, so unless you have a reason for thinking that yourself then I really don't understand your comment. Furthermore you have no say in the management of the horses you ride so why would anyone comment on it?

chunky monkey

May 2, 2007
Now it could be as simple as the horse is looking to hop onto the grass in the hope of a canter -
Yep i definitely have one of those.
Along the country lane if i ride with no reins at all he will vere off to the grass and straight into canter. No discomfort for sure.

Some of the tracks i ride round here are stoney as we are on limestone. I actually try to help my barefoot out by riding in the bits that i can see arent stoney or loose stone. So if a bit looks smooth i will ask him to move over. So one minute we are on the left of the track, 10 secs later we might be on the right of the track.
In actually fact if you do the tracks regularly or daily like i do the horses definitely learn or maybe they just see the smooth bits. So if i ride with no rein, my horses will automatically swap sides in the same place each ride without my asking on there own.

carthorse

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
@chunky monkey where I am a lot of work is on flinty tracks and/or very uneven ground and many of us do that even with shod horses. Though there are others who just see a track and go for a canter where we are careful walking. Each to their own.