Sensation English Trail Saddle

No_Angel

Apr 20, 2003
Ireland
I got my English trail trial saddle today. Tried it on Shay and it fits him as nicely as the Hybrid does, seems to fit me better although the stirrups might be a little far forward for me. It's a bit high off his back with the sheepskin pad, will have to re think that.
(Please excuse his big belly and lack of muscle, he hasn't done much this winter)

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

I like it! :D Am already thinking about saddles for Kai (in 2.5 years time lol!) and these are quite high up the list...

Looks really good. The Sensation will settle down with in a month and form to your body...so I have a feeling it will only get more comfy for you!
What kind of seat did you get, PorOn, felt or? And did you get the butterfly put in?

I am still loving my Hybrid Sensation. Got to take a ride yesterday and a bit shorter one today. Its finally starting to form to my body...which makes it feel perfect. VBG

The stirrup buckle is an inch further forward on this one than the hybrid, the hybrid is great with the endurance set up, this one just has my legs a little to far forward and pitches me forward when I trot (does on my saddle rack anyway, will ride him in it tomorrow).
This one has the set back set as well, feels a lot better.

I think this one has the poron seat, not sure about the butterfly, I thought they all came with that?

Will give it a proper ride tomorrow but may order one with the stirrups set back and maybe the g4 seat as it looks quite neat

Hi Jill:D

Is it possible to order one with the stirrup buckle further back?

I have been fiddling with the supracor, equitex and grandeur pads under it, I do love my purple pad, but its huge!

Angel in mine... you just take the seat off and move the stirrup leathers where you want.
Am pretty sure yours would be the same way?

I was supprised how much more I like the Poron seat with the Butterfly. Much nicer than the Sensations 3 years ago.:D

That's with the hard use system:) I like to use the endurance set up where the stirrups are attached to the buckle at the bottom of the flap.
After measuring again, I don't think they are further forward, its just the seat shape on this one and the hybrid is different and this one sits you further back, which suits me better, although I would need the stirrup buckle moved back so I could trot,lol.

I have had my mother on both as well, she doesn't like the english trail, she prefer the hybrid to ride in, so you really do have to try a few models to see which you prefer.

Will ride in it today so wil get more pics

Yes definately looks comfortable, i'm used to stirrups being bit further forward i sit western anyway. your body will adapt.
i'd possibly just use one pad? does saddle have the spinal clearance or do you need pad to do that, or is the high withers?

I have a western saddle and ride western, but prefer to have my stirrups underneath me, its easier to trot over distances when you don't have to fight them.

The tacky too pad (the purple one) is an inch thick wool felt, so very shock absorbing, with panels built up either side, the saddle itself has a small amount of spine clearance, but Shay seems to prefer extra padding, he loves sheepskin (will rub his nose on it) so may well get him one of these pads in black, it has a channel down the spine for more spine clearance.

I have been looking at the g4 girthing, so 3 straps instead of the 2, so I can alter it to where I want and it looks a bit tidier than the buckle.

Rode in it today, nipped out between hail storms, forgot my bridle so had to ride him in his rope halter and 2 lead ropes:rolleyes:so couldn't give it a long ride but managed some trots although he was dragging me over to the grass.

I felt very secure in it even though it has a flatter seat than the hybrid and actually manged to rise to his fast trot which I have trouble with in the hybrid and other saddles, I usually end up sitting to it.
I look better in it than I do in the hybrid, more room for my bum and my knees, used the hard use set up so I could get my legs further underneath me, but don't think I could live with them.

I used it with the sheepskin half pad and my tacky too pad again and it works well, doesn't feel too high off his back.

So it looks like the Hybrid is officially for sale:D

DSC00358.jpg

DSC00356.jpg

DSC00359.jpg

Shayenglishtrailsaddle.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

cuddles for Mr Shay
IMG_0009.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

Glad your happy with saddle, jack loves wool he nibbles it.
So what is main difference between this and hybrid then. Sounds like can alter your stirrups to how you want it and mine are never under me. I'd be fighting them if made them.

The english trail has a forward cut flap like a gp saddle, where as the hybrid has a swell and a dressage cut flap.

Stirrups can be adjusted lots of ways on these saddles, you have 3 different positions to choose from, and then the adjustment within them. I just prefer the endurance setting as the hard use rubs my legs.

How big is the seat on the saddle? Does the hard use setup allow any movement (thinking of our Welsh hills).

I must say you do look good on it your legs seem to fit in snugly behind the knee rolls. Do you think it would be too forward cut for a short coupled horse with big shoulders?

This is the Sensation Hybrid. Pommel is much bigger and I have the straight dressage flap because Dyfra has big shoulders but a very, very short girth groove, so I can't use the forward flap like Angel can.
Some of the hills on my place are very steep... enough that a horse has to sit on their hocks and slide down,,, so it is a very secure saddle. I use the "hard use" postion with my stirrup leathers. Works fine for the hills.
saddle4.jpg

Last edited:
This one has the set back seat, it measures 17 inches from pommel to cantle, and 22 inches over all, underneath.

Shay is 14.3 and wears 5ft9 rugs if that helps,he doesn't have any shoulders though. I will try it on Murphy my big cob and see how it fits, but the hybrid with the straight flap fit Murphy really well.

The hard use allows a bit of movement, you can pull your legs back a little, but not as much as you could with the free swing stirrups,they do rub my legs though, I prefer the endurance set up.

newrider.com