Playing with the bit.

Just make sure you do your research and get a properly qualified physio out. Not one who 'think's they are a physio!

Ah okay, how much does one roughly cost, the owner brought out a physio last year but it’s been around 6-4 months since then so it might be a good idea to get that sorted again.

Ah okay, how much does one roughly cost, the owner brought out a physio last year but it’s been around 6-4 months since then so it might be a good idea to get that sorted again.

That is a very good question, they vary hugely. I shared a call out fee with a friend this week (which was lucky she was coming to the yard anyway and slotted me in at 7:30am as she was fully booked till the end of Feb). I paid £75 but would normally be £81 if we hadn't shared the call out. I paid £60 each to my previous therapists who turned out to be rubbish!

That is a very good question, they vary hugely. I shared a call out fee with a friend this week (which was lucky she was coming to the yard anyway and slotted me in at 7:30am as she was fully booked till the end of Feb). I paid £75 but would normally be £81 if we hadn't shared the call out. I paid £60 each to my previous therapists who turned out to be rubbish!
Okay many thanks! I’ll go on a hunt right now.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
Is this the horse you have taken the shoes off? I don't recall you mentioning they were 20's in your previous post,
I would have said no leave her shod. If she has spent all her life in shoes its possible that she is feeling foot sore. Unless you took on loan unshod and put fronts on, in which case the same applies but tendons are sore. The hoof changes shape between shoes and no shoes.
When did you take on loan? I tend to spend two months bringing an out of work horse back in. Five weeks of short daily longreining in walk, gradually introducing very large circles, gradually asking for trot. Three weeks of walking only.

Is your saddle fitter qualified or is the owner just doing exams and so told you it fits? Bhs exams are not saddle fitting exams.

Eta. You mentioned in your other thread you took this pony on because you wanted to prove others wrong. I wouldn't start off on that road. As horseman we have nothing to prove to other people.
If more experienced, knowledge, competent, professionals cannot get tune out of a pony, it tends to make me walk on. People declined to take my hunting, I could have gone to prove everyone wrong, I didn't because I am sensible enough to know I would be put on my backside where it belongs. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: carthorse
Is this the horse you have taken the shoes off? I don't recall you mentioning they were 20's in your previous post,
I would have said no leave her shod. If she has spent all her life in shoes its possible that she is feeling foot sore. Unless you took on loan unshod and put fronts on, in which case the same applies but tendons are sore. The hoof changes shape between shoes and no shoes.
When did you take on loan? I tend to spend two months bringing an out of work horse back in. Five weeks of short daily longreining in walk, gradually introducing very large circles, gradually asking for trot. Three weeks of walking only.

Is your saddle fitter qualified or is the owner just doing exams and so told you it fits? Bhs exams are not saddle fitting exams.

Eta. You mentioned in your other thread you took this pony on because you wanted to prove others wrong. I wouldn't start off on that road. As horseman we have nothing to prove to other people.
If more experienced, knowledge, competent, professionals cannot get tune out of a pony, it tends to make me walk on. People declined to take my hunting, I could have gone to prove everyone wrong, I didn't because am sensible enough to know I would be put on my backside where it belongs. :D

No that was a different mare I loaned, she is currently barefoot due to being turned out most of the time and is doing very well and she’s happy x

The person who told me I couldn’t get anything out of the pony was a person similar to my riding ability, the owner insisted that if I dedicated my time to him and bonded with him I could get him to respond and be willing to work, I’m stubborn but not silly enough to get on something that’s not rideable. She has taken BHS exams, but also went to college, where you get taught how to fit bridles and saddles properly, she’s very knowledgable and has changed saddles according to how it sits on the horse and if it pinches or hurts the muscle.

I’ve called the physio that was used previously for him. She’ll be coming to seem him tomorrow, and as she’s seen him before we discussed on the phone she can offer a massage to relieve tension in the 1st and 2nd muscle layer that support the bones, but his tension might just be from suddenly bringing him back to work (which would’ve been my unawareness and irresponsibility) but claims that with stretching and massages it’ll help him become more supple. But also she pointed out the pony’s confirmation of the neck will make it difficult for him to stretch down compared to other horses, so that explains the short neck or tension in the neck.

Also please note the fact he’s 20 does not make him an old pony! This boy has the healthiest joints and ligaments and is sturdy, bringing him down because of his age would just be unfair, as different horses retire at different ages, saying he’s old or he’s in no condition to work is unfair judgment without seeing him or doing a bone analysis and health analysis, you have perfectly healthy horses competing, so if I can and there’s no underlying health issue I’ll give him that chance to enjoy himself. It might be hard to guess what’s going on with him, but I’m trying my best to ensure he has a happy life and prevent any future damages to his skeletal or muscles. So I’ll take all the advice form everyone as I can but I’ll also listen to his owner, who’s been with him for the 20years and has finished her studies, and also is a healer so I believe she listens to her horses as she has arthritis herself. We had the vet out not long ago, and he does not have arthritis, and is not lame, there’s no direct correlation that links pain to the saddle. He bucks when free lunging, and gets excited, and becomes willing to work, so of course he’ll buck. So just because he has bucked once with me doesn’t always mean he’s got an underlying health issue, and the time he bucked he was stabled all night due to weather! I’m trying my best, and I’m still young so I’m learning along the way, I make mistakes but I don’t chuck aside a horses health, therefore I got a physio out and see if there’s any tension that could linked to a poorly fitted saddle, if that’s the case I’ll get a saddle fitter out.

Many thanks for everyone contribution, I’ll let everyone know what happens tomorrow, and the results.

I’ve called the physio that was used previously for him. She’ll be coming to seem him tomorrow, and as she’s seen him before we discussed on the phone she can offer a massage to relieve tension in the 1st and 2nd muscle layer that support the bones, but his tension might just be from suddenly bringing him back to work (which would’ve been my unawareness and irresponsibility) but claims that with stretching and massages it’ll help him become more supple. But also she pointed out the pony’s confirmation of the neck will make it difficult for him to stretch down compared to other horses, so that explains the short neck or tension in the neck.

Also please note the fact he’s 20 does not make him an old pony! This boy has the healthiest joints and ligaments and is sturdy, bringing him down because of his age would just be unfair, as different horses retire at different ages, saying he’s old or he’s in no condition to work is unfair judgment without seeing him or doing a bone analysis and health analysis, you have perfectly healthy horses competing, so if I can and there’s no underlying health issue I’ll give him that chance to enjoy himself. It might be hard to guess what’s going on with him, but I’m trying my best to ensure he has a happy life and prevent any future damages to his skeletal or muscles. So I’ll take all the advice form everyone as I can but I’ll also listen to his owner, who’s been with him for the 20years and has finished her studies, and also is a healer so I believe she listens to her horses as she has arthritis herself. We had the vet out not long ago, and he does not have arthritis, and is not lame, there’s no direct correlation that links pain to the saddle. He bucks when free lunging, and gets excited, and becomes willing to work, so of course he’ll buck. So just because he has bucked once with me doesn’t always mean he’s got an underlying health issue, and the time he bucked he was stabled all night due to weather! I’m trying my best, and I’m still young so I’m learning along the way, I make mistakes but I don’t chuck aside a horses health, therefore I got a physio out and see if there’s any tension that could linked to a poorly fitted saddle, if that’s the case I’ll get a saddle fitter out.

Many thanks for everyone contribution, I’ll let everyone know what happens tomorrow, and the results.

Please please please do not use the bit I've put in bold as an excuse for accepting a short tight neck. All it means is that you'll have to work harder to teach him how to stretch correctly & work over his topline. He can stretch, otherwise how would he graze?

Reactions: joosie
Please please please do not use the bit I've put in bold as an excuse for accepting a short tight neck. All it means is that you'll have to work harder to teach him how to stretch correctly & work over his topline. He can stretch, otherwise how would he graze?

Ah no of course! That wasn’t what I was getting at! X I would definitely not just accept the short neck issue and just let it happen, he can stretch down but I mean he’ll prefer to have his neck higher when working. When a horse brings his head higher, the back hollows causing the gaps between the vertebrae to close, meaning chances of back issues and kissing spine or arthritis is more likely to happen, so I won’t neglect on working on stretching and putting more work into it, however I’ll take advice from someone earlier on to stick to walk, if I start trying to make him stretch in work trot and canter, it’ll be too much, so therefore on work we can solely focus on stretching and working his muscles.

However also if she’s able to manipulate the muscles I hope for the fact that it’ll help him relax and relieve tension, through the muscles along his vertebrae.

If you do the walk stretches correctly & strengthen him up then he should eventually be able to do them in trot & canter, if you can only ride him in those paces with a short neck then he still isn't engaged & carrying himself & you need more work on the basics.

If you do the walk stretches correctly & strengthen him up then he should eventually be able to do them in trot & canter, if you can only ride him in those paces with a short neck then he still isn't engaged & carrying himself & you need more work on the basics.

It was my mistake to first believe to get him properly working before getting him to stretch, which I would do if any other horse. But thanks to the advice I’ll start with walk and getting him long and low, he’s usually very willing to work now when done correctly and when he gets excited, so he’s usually responsive to aids when asking him to stretch and engage his hinds. He feels more floaty. However I can’t expect him to stretch and engage his hinds for long as he doesn’t use these muscles often. So the on and off could just be him getting adjusted to work.

Please excuse me in advance if I'm wrong and or appear rude but I believe I read in your other post that you've been riding for 2 years?

Yes I have been riding for just above two years, but the amount of years I’ve been riding for should not judge the quality of my riding and how much effort and time I put into it.

I get what you mean op we haven't seen the horse, which is why its important to give us all the facts.
You are talking about a pony that has done nothing for the best part of ten years, obviously people will be concerned on their age, fitness, willingness, saddle fitting a dipped back etc etc. My first horse was 23 but came to me fit and ready to go.

Perhaps a photo would help here. Some descriptions of what's happening isn't necessarily happening.
Mine has a naturally high head carriage and a short probably bull neck. However she can and does stretch down. I start any schooling session on a loose rein and somewhere there is a long rein, and I end on a loose rein.

Reactions: carthorse
I get what you mean op we haven't seen the horse, which is why its important to give us all the facts.
You are talking about a pony that has done nothing for the best part of ten years, obviously people will be concerned on their age, fitness, willingness, saddle fitting a dipped back etc etc. My first horse was 23 but came to me fit and ready to go.

Perhaps a photo would help here. Some descriptions of what's happening isn't necessarily happening.
Mine has a naturally high head carriage and a short probably bull neck. However she can and does stretch down. I start any schooling session on a loose rein and somewhere there is a long rein, and I end on a loose rein.

I am sorry about that! It becomes much more complex to explain what type of horse he is and what he’s done, his confirmation, behaviour and attitude. So I just started adding things in if someone asked.

I don’t have any photos or videos of him at the moment only one of him being covered in muddy handprints when we had some fun in the field, but I’ll get some tomorrow, of what he looks like. What I’m mostly worried about is general tension in the neck or back which is why I’m calling a physio out. And the reason I believe it’s not a saddle problem as he’ll stand in his stable relaxed, but his head will be higher than a normal horse who when relaxes drops his head. He’s relaxed though as he’ll prop his back leg up an digs eyes will doze off.

Here’s detailed information about him so prepare for along paragraph:

Owner had him since 8 months, he competed XC, loved going out, he lived for jumping, but owner got 2 more horses which she started working with and poor him got jealous and a bit nappy. Yard was later a riding school, so he was used to having novice riders on and off, (that’s why He’s not so forward going, many school ponies become like this), and then later on was a TDA riding centre for a short period. All happened within 20 years in the same place. He’s completely bored of the yard that’s why might appear reluctant to ride in it, but make the ride exciteable and he’s go pony! He’s still fresh when going out hacking and absolutely enjoys it, no nagging and such which gives me an indication, that there’s no general problem with the saddle. Hes got a more sensitive mouth, so if the rider has loud hands, he’ll retaliate to that by possibly bucking or putting his head up, which I understand why most people on here asked if I balance on my reins, but I’ve got very soft hands, which is why I’m able to get him to stretch as I won’t yank back. I did say he hasn’t been ridden for 10 years, but what I meant is he was off proper work for 10 years as owner had arthritis, and no one was willing to ride him, but you still had the occasional riders and on good days she’d get on and school him. He loves his owner as he goes happily for her x.Hes a new forest pony, 20 years old, sturdy and strong, no underlying health issue (vet-checked), and dentist comes every few months to do his teeth. Playing with the bit wasn’t a huge concern of mine as long as it wasn’t pain related, but he does that wether he’s standing with the bit in or working.

The physio is coming out tomorrow so I’ll see the results.

And I’ll also post a video and photo tomorrow x

I think I’ve gotten the advice I need for now, if there is an issue the physio will let me know. If there’s non I’ll refer to what others have been saying on getting him back to work and what I know about getting him to stretch down. He finds much harder to stretch down, so when he gets into an active walk, I prefer him to ride into the bit so I can slowly push his head lower. Give him a free rein and he’ll still walk around with his head high.

Also his back is nicely rounded, no dipped back or hollowness, and no apple bottom (a noticeable hump suggesting constant hollowness and muscle bulking in the wrong areas). X

Physio was out today, did some muscle manipulation, pony relaxed and was happy after it, tension was present but it was easily relieved , and tension was most likely due to being brought back into work, I’m starting regular stretches with him now on ground and in the saddle. There was nothing link to the saddle pinching or being poorly fitted.

I was out there with a trainer working him, and he was going perfectly, turns out he stops playing with the bit when he puts his mind to the focus and is working correctly, so playing with the bit was most likely due to boredom or a habit. I was worried for no reason, and I only had to adjust some aspects of my riding to his specific needs to get him working correctly. Trainer proved and explained to me that he’s far from being old.

Also bought glucosamine to add to his diet to induce suppleness in his bones and joints.

Many thanks everyone.

Reactions: Mary Poppins
I wish you the very best of luck with him. You obviously care deeply for this pony and are open to advice and you want to learn. You will do well together.x

Reactions: Juliaa
I wish you the very best of luck with him. You obviously care deeply for this pony and are open to advice and you want to learn. You will do well together.x

Thank you, Im learning along the way, and never knew how important a regular physio was for horses, and I think it’ll be essential due to his age and if he’s going to be working.

Once again many thanks x

newrider.com