Playing Ponies....My journey

Well Beth has fit in a treat at the farm she rides Stormy, Ollie and Eva..... It nice to see most of the ponies being worked...

I have started having flatwork lesson on Melody with a view to doing some dressage tests in the spring ...I am starting hacking out and plan to start pleasure rides on Melody in January. I am joining the local EGB Group.

I have the pleasure of watching and helping with Stormy it fabulous that he is being ridden after all this time :) Life is good at the minute at the farm.

I just need my partner to be on the mend soon :D

15578462_1313154345421164_5764934064602418246_n.jpg 15590115_1313154402087825_2688317947887426411_n.jpg

Reactions: Trewsers
I am currently working on my hacking out skills both in company and eventually solo on Melody........I am starting slowly mainly hacking down the side lane...but I am wanting to get us both fitter for endurance riding/pleasure rides. This is the first time I have been hacking Melody of the farm since she came to live with us. I am looking forward to exploring with her this spring and summer.

I am also spending time with Glennie getting her ready to one daytake over in Melody's hooves..... I am loving this winter so far....but cannot wait for the spring and summer of hacking and competing.

15749574_1731753290486520_1828907341_n.jpg

15542427_10154817015627173_5016140651914934007_n.jpg

15750299_1731753107153205_758368383_n.jpg

Shakira is back in work 14 months after she was last ridden. Beth is walking her to fitness :) alongside the other ponies.....I cannot believe how cold it can get at the minute..... I guess the last few winters have spoiled me :( I am however for the 2nd winter trying to ride most of it. With the aim of a pleasure ride on the 29th of January. SO we need to be working as often as possible.

Reactions: Bodshi
Well its been ages since I updated... since then my OH ended his cheamo but within a month of ending had two bleeds on the brain.Hes lost his lisence and I dont drive.....so I have started rehoming ponies breaking my heart to let my babies go but I have no option. Ollie( Part Bred Arab) has gone locally to a pony club home where they already adore him..... hes been having jumping lessons with the little girl. Sweep the Shetland, has gone across the roads to my very good friends to be a little walking leader and grooming pony for there grandson.. she will live out her days there :) I can see both of them whenever I want :D

Glennie is going Thursday to showing loan home in Essex.She will be officailly an Essex girl complete with glittery hoof polish. :) Hopefully a friends daughter is having Eva on loan and will be kept locally for showing and hacking.

That leaves the two Welshies for Sale or Loan......Shakira and Stormy...... the absolute hardest to rehome for me I have had then 7 1/2 years now :( since they were foals

I will have Belle and Melody my Highlands.... Sophie will have Savvy and Jess will have Lunan..... so we will be down to four.....I will at some point get back on board and hopefully begin to enjoy riding again ..... hopefully before summer is out. this is the end of me having a larger herd of Natives and it really has been wonderful to know them all. but loong term I will be down to two Highlands and the others out there enjoying lifes in new homes.

Last edited:
A month since i last update my OH is in remission.... he got his licecnce back and we are back down the ponies daily again.... The showing home fell through so Glennie my highland filly is staying put :). Stormy is going to spend the next few months working with Heidi who will be backing him. Kira will be coming back into work. and start looking for someone to loan her.

Eva has found a wonderful loan home in Louth with a lady with cancer and there going to be doing lots of hacking and endurance/pleasure rides and some inhand showing and again i can come see her when ever :)
We will be down to 7 Belle, Glennie and Melody Highlands...Shakira, Savvanah and Stormy ....Welsh cobs and Lunan our Fell.

I am finally back riding again and loving it working toward hacking and pleasure rides :D..... Melody is being absolute fabulous despite her time off, she is forward keen and eager. I have been doing daily handling with Glennie in preparation for some summer showing :)

Think I am going to really start enjoying the ponies again this Summer and start planning some fun adventures :)

Its also almost a year since faye went over rainbow bridge so I added her photo too.

Heres some pics...

IMG_0297 cropped.jpg Lunan and jess tyre jump.jpg 18119660_724187944456522_35290256_o.jpg 27974-1249237575-306dbb39e8c3f00282db278f7fabb447.jpg

Great to hear that things are settling down. Hope you have a wonderful summer with your lovely herd.

well its been almost 6 months since I last updated

Sweep is back from her loan home
Glennie has had a severe reaction to flies and Lymphagitis which has cleared now coming into the winter months but still battling to get some weight on her.
Melody has been turned away.
Eva is still happy and having fun on loan shes been doing Endurance, Le Trec and Jumping
Lunnie is still for sale not had time to advertise him much.
Ollie is still having fun in his loan home even did cubbing :)
Storm is still a big oversized pet
Shakira too a little pet.
Savannah is still on loan at ours to Sophie
Belle is still nanny to the herd

So back to 8 ponies for the winter.

I am planning hacking now I have more time. we are almost ready to put them in there winter paddocks but I am so stowed out with grass...its unreal.

Edited to Add my OH seems well on the Mend now. :d which is fantastic

Last edited:
Spent the day up the farm de burring the ponies..... I have never seen so many burrs lol we have tons.... When I got home after a long talk with graham we have been sorting out ponies...Lunan is going to the same family that have Ollie........... Shakira is going to a local girl for her daughter, to eventually ride. and I have mother daughter coming to help with Stormy ...so I will have much more time for my poorly Glennie and to ride sometimes :)

I am staggered that you manage all those ponies still! But I hope you get to ride. And get into the way or it through the winter weather. My OH has not been well and hacking Grace has been restorative. It has taken regular riding to get her back to perfection. She responds so like my old fav. Maisie now, she brings tears to my eyes and sometimes I daftly call her Maisie by mistake.
I dont know how you manage having so many pony names!

Yesterday Glennie went to her new home... Brandsby Charity...... they have agreed to take her in because she needs long term veterinary care that I could not provide. I am happy with that fact she has a home for life but sad that I couldn't provide the care she needed maybe if I had been on a livery yard rather than a farm. But She will now want for nothing and we can go see her .....she is only 10 miles away. It really was the best outcome for my very poorly baby girl :)

I will do my best to raise some money for Brandsby charity as a thank you.

Yesterday Glennie went to her new home... Brandsby Charity...... they have agreed to take her in because she needs long term veterinary care that I could not provide. I am happy with that fact she has a home for life but sad that I couldn't provide the care she needed maybe if I had been on a livery yard rather than a farm. But She will now want for nothing and we can go see her .....she is only 10 miles away. It really was the best outcome for my very poorly baby girl :)

I will do my best to raise some money for Brandsby charity as a thank you.

Oh I love Brandsby, my mum and I have supported them for years, they are really super. Glad they have given her a home. What was she needing ? (Sorry if you would rather not say on here). That's ace you can go see her too:)

Oh I love Brandsby, my mum and I have supported them for years, they are really super. Glad they have given her a home. What was she needing ? (Sorry if you would rather not say on here). That's ace you can go see her too:)

She has had two bad cases of Lymphangitis which caused her to have a low immunity...... she lost loads of weight which we got most back on her but she was bit to bits with flies in the summer and autumn ...shes needs clean stable, clipped out fully warm water medicated baths to treat her skin for several weeks and high doses of antibiotics..... I don't have electric or warm water at the farm and only a dirt based shelter..... It would have been imposible to keep her clean and warm on my exposed field :( letting her go was hard but the best thing for her.... she is probably going to be prone to lympphangitis and the vet said the slightest nick and she will need high doses antibiotics immeadiately :( I am not insured...I pay vet bills as they come in.... this we just couldn't afford.

Last edited:
She has had two bad cases of Lymphangitis which caused her to have a low immunity...... she lost loads of weight which we got most back on her but she was bit to bits with flies in the summer and autumn ...shes needs clean stable, clipped out fully warm water medicated baths to treat her skin for several weeks and high doses of antibiotics..... I don't have electric or warm water at the farm and only a dirt based shelter..... It would have been imposible to keep her clean and warm on my exposed field :( letting her go was hard but the best thing for her.... she is probably going to be prone to lympphangitis and the vet said the slightest nick and she will need high doses antibiotics immeadiately :( I am not insured...I pay vet bills as they come in.... this we just couldn't afford.

Aw, it sounds like a really wise decision you made. Sometimes it is nigh on impossible to do the right thing when they develop special needs like that. Lots of cheery vibes to you - and hope you can go see her soon:)

Reactions: Native Lover
Aw, it sounds like a really wise decision you made. Sometimes it is nigh on impossible to do the right thing when they develop special needs like that. Lots of cheery vibes to you - and hope you can go see her soon:)

Thank you Trewsers....She has the best chance now she will ever have to come right.....it was the best thing for her.

Today spent the day de burring some of the ponies with the other ponies being done tomorrow....yes its that time of year...... Melody is rugged to keep her dry for riding but no one told her she couldn't get covered in mud and burrs .....grrrrr (Pics Later LOL). I did manage a little plod in the school on Mels before we came home. I decided to leave her in the school for the night to eat it down :)

Little Kira came in for some handling and a pamper so we can get her ready to be re backed this Spring coming. She is such a loving trusting pony... :) I have a lovely treeless saddle for her to go in when she is ready. Bitless and treeless and barefoot :) I am hoping my daughter will help me in the spring.

My OH is busy getting the winter paddock ready for the winter they will be in there this week coming after Christmas.... It need some fencing and burrs burning and electric fence putting up then its ready SO all in all a very productive day. There is so much work to do ... its never ending.....There is so much grass this year they are not eating there hay at the minute even on the colder nights.

25550113_1797757320294195_8024580886161181657_n.jpg

25552126_1797757280294199_4612505619411515529_n.jpg

If the cob came in like that everyday, I would be out in the field with my fork digging the rotten plants up. :D

newrider.com