Our Gang 2014..........

a week since I updated, Good news Is Charlie is fine, Tess is good, Nuts is improving Slowly - Acorn has a sore foot!

the ground is rock hard - stupid british weather, we really need a small amount of rain now to improve the going.
Acorn was ridden last weekend by Emma, only in walk as it was only his second ride since last September, and hes not getting much else,
I have stiches in my hand following a biopsy so restricted this week to what I can do - still at work so can't even enjoy just going up to the field and sunning it.

Rain is forcast tomorrow and showers at the weekend, hopefully the field conditions will improve , although it may get easier underfoot but then we will have the dreaded extra grass to contend with.

This year is getting to be a write off- Charlie has been out and doing so well, he has managed to slip in the field in the horrible rain we had at the weekend and has strained his groin area, so in on a night out during the day on bute.
Acorn is off on front leg and was starting to compensate on hind, so in on a night out during the day but is now off the bute.
Nuts is improving daily - shes walking around more now, tension in her hind legs and muscles has almost gone, shes maintaining her slimmer weight - a way to go yet but at last we can see a definite move to recovery.

Tess is Tess and quite unhappy at all the comings and goings at the field, she like routine and has had anything but for past couple of weeks.
Shes well in herself but has her grumpy head on.

I have had my stiches out and its sore now - so I am joining Tess in grumpy club, it makes chores difficult.

all in all this year we have done practically nothing other than clean poo, feed meds, poultice feed or rub in liniment.

quick update, Acorn in good now and back on daily walk outs, Tess is good,Nuts continues to improve slowly , Charlie is still very sore but on the mend - 1/2 dose of but now - but going the right way.

Emma came today and took Acorn out for a hack - we use it as a lesson and they are starting to click - road wise they are goodand shes more control on the grass with him now shes starting to read his micky taking and taking action before he can- which has stopped yje grass grabbing andhead down,hes now decided if he can't go down then he'll try low tree brachess - cheeky litle sod - but he's getting better with each session we do - which are far and few between at the moment.
too a few photos of today and a small video - not good as this is my first attempt - and had to cut short as one of the big transport lorries came and I wanted to be sure I was able to respond if needs be - they were fine - he stopped and waited while they got part way down the side of it and then rolled off slowly - Emm just kept her leg on and kept him moving - for all his faults roads are not one of them - hes a little rock, Emm has mastered the art of waving a thanks to drivers who slow down - good job we were only oy 20 minutes and met about 30 various vehicles - not funny on a narrow country lane, but it is what it is. We are going to do her road saftey soon but she is very aware.

026.JPG 027.JPG

Reactions: Trewsers
Warm and sunny again today - Charlie is recovering well, Acorn is continuing with his daily walk out on the roads and doing well - full of it,
Nuts continues to improve daily and Tess is good as ever.

We have rain due over night tonight and then Sun and warm again is the forecast.

Farrier was due for the boys this weekend but we are going to extend them a week to give Charlie a bit longer to recover those back leg issues, with Acorn having the walk outs now every day he is self trimming to some degree so an extra week should not be a problem.

Hopefully Emm is coming for a ride on Saturday this week (Sunday is party day) so we will do some more schooling whilst hacking, we may go down to the next village this week with them, 3 mile round trip , will do them both good.

another week over - ending on a wet note - not made much difference to the ground - its very humid and the expected flies are with us ( thanks to the lack of cold winter)- gott the pour on on the boys but Vet had run out so need to call in this week and get a couple of bottle for the girls - Nuts not too bad with them but they are driving Tess mad - have had to keep her off any wood as she is itchy - was going to bath her today but the rain came - so next weeked she will have one - shes rolled that much shes got a bare patch in one paddock and has almost rubbed to the skin on 2 small areas - so have found her fly rug out - shes not needed it for years - shes also got a long summer coat this year - so not comfortable at the moment bless her.

Nuts is still improving slowly but going the right way.

Acorn is good - excersied daily and ridden again Sat am by Emm - a longer hack this time - similar volumn of traffic - the usual heavy lorry and the tip wagon as a bonus - Acorn is solid as a rock with them and Emm just keeps leg on and moving forwards - her confidence is on the up and so is Acorns respect for her - although he did managed to catch her out with the head down routine this week on the grass track resulting in a slide head first down his neck - Emm was in hysterics, hopped back on and made him trot up to the field gate, a lot easier for her now she can mount on her own off the floor if needs be.

Charlie is much improved, we are reducing his meds and giving him No bute - if he carries on at this rate he will start his daiyl walk out mid week - increase it to 2 walks ou dailyt the following week with a view to turnout 1/2 day up at the hill field in August using the walk to and from it then as his walk outs.

owhat a week - the weather ccertainly caused a few issues - had the farrier on sunday and all wormed.

Acorn has managed to injure his n/s fore overnight in the stable on Saturday night during those bloody awful storms - hes on bute and out during the day and recovering but no riding this week for him - Charlies fine off bute and starting walk outs, have managed to get on top of Tess'sitching remembered the GH skratch we put her on last year - 48 hour and shes much better - will have to put her on it earlier next year!

Nuts has lost anither 10kg - feet are fine - she improving - not recovered yet but going the right way!

Tess is carrying a few kg extra - she not in work -not worried - she lost most of the target weight.

The boys are spot on.

Weather for lst few days is unbearable - some like it hot - not me!

okay, its too bl88dy hot! ponies are flagged by it and both boys are ready to come in overnight out of it! We have hair shedding on the 3 littlies, Tess is hanging onto her coat for dear life, no wonder she was itchy, the GH sKatch is doing its job as it did last year and the itching has all but stopped now, we have a bit of a breeze on the hill which seems to be keeping the flies off .
The temps are due to drop a little from tomorrow , hopefully it will make it more comfortable for us all, Charlie is due to go back out this weekend with Acorn if he looks good to go, hes out without bute today so the test will be tonight, his feet are fine, no swelling on legs at all
a little heat on one shoulder so suspect he has taken a knock during the storms - will leave it another week before bringing him back into work
just to be sure .
Electric fencing to sort tomorrow before they go out to ensure its still Acorn proof - the girls don't bother with it at all so its not been live for past few weeks, have spare battery on charge ready to go up in the morning. Have hay to get in this weekend, need to sort out the hay store and evict Mildred (the adopted chicken who is roosting in it and seems to have gone broody!)she will no doubt be back in once we have sorted it.

August already, where does the time go!

had to have both boys in for feet to dry out overnight on Saturday, both keretexed and back out to the field yesterday - Tess is much better after having a good bath with GH flyfree shampoo, the Skratch is doing its job and she is looking and obviously feeling better in herself. Nuts is improving albeit slowly, but is giving all 4 feet without a fuss now for picking out , the swelling on her underside has gone down , just some puffiness above each hock now, shes on the glucosomine supplement that we have Tess on and that seems to be helping her - shes bright enough in herself, nickering along with the others for her breakfast and has started walking down a few steps for it now rather than waiting for silver service, shes able to hobble away if she sees the fly spray coming out, I am thing she will now benefit from a 5 minute walk twice a day now - shes on 1/4 bute morning and night now , tried a couple of days without but she wasn't comfy so back on it for now, will see if exercise helps. The boys are back on daily walk out.

I have Emm and Thomas for the day tomorrow so hopefully we will get some riding time in.

Where does time go!

we have got no riding in - thanks to the weather, Acorn and Charlie are both fine as is Tess - the boys came in at the weekend thanks to the rain, to save the field more than anything and prevent any slipping injuries - all out in the field now.

Poor Nuts suffered in the Storms with the wet and wind and stiffened up and set off her muscle trembles again - so I have popped a rug on, Acorns rugs wouldn't go anywhere near her - hes 2" taller but shorter backed and in a 4' Amigo, we have a 4' 6" Derby House Rug that Charlie grew out of so thought would give it a try, other than being a bit long on the back, its a perfect fit at the front and not too deep - can still see her legs - I bought her a 4' IV pony rug, its far too big allround and swamps Acorn - so that's going on Ebay, so shes sporting a rug to keep the chill off her and her stiffness has improved - she's quite happy in it, not overheating which was a worry - and she gave me one of those looks when I took it off for an hour this morning! its back on now and she was slowly plodding round the paddock eating when I left, her feet look fine, the puffiness on her back legs is much reduced now just need to loosen her up and get her mobility back -we are over 12 weeks now into recovery from her injury - Acorn who had similar took 5 months to full fitness and shes 12 years older than him , my worry is that she needs to be able to cope out for winter so needs to get a good level of fitness back to cope but at least we know she will accept a rug if needs be.

We have the farrier for the boys trims at the weekend and he will balance Nuts up at the same time if she needs it.

Wet, cold and bl88dy windy! not the bet weather for Nuts to recuperate in - we need Dr Sun - but don't think its going to improve much before the weekend, so will settle for dry and less windy.

Have started her walking round the paddock morning and night and she is less stiff now and the puffiness on the hocks is reducing, have kept the rug on today due to the wind - she appears fine poddling around the paddock and we are continuing to manage her with meds and a joint supplement to ensure she is comfortable.

The boys had feet trim at weekend, they have both been sound since the last trim, Charlie had some bruising to all 4 which farrier suspects is from his previous injury and is growing out, possible lgl from the stress of his injury , he has trimmed him sympathetically again leaving a little extra wall to help with his sole, he is showing no signs of lameness or discomfort post trim so he will start walk outs and build up again in the morning, Farrier is more than happy with his weight and condition.

Acorn is fine, full of it infact, no feet problems so needs to start work. Emms on holiday so that's down to me - I have bank holiday week off so fingers crossed weather is okay - I may get on him again........

Nuts had her feet checked - no balancing or trimming needed - feet looking good - he commented on weight loss and that her movement would have changed through this and it is showing in her feet - lack of excessive growth on the outer side of her o/s hind which used to push her leg under her - this combined with the introduction of in hand exercise is slowly building her muscle up and starting to stretch them out making her movement freer, we will keep on as we are this week and when I am off next week I plan to increase the walking out and hopefully include a little on the road - fingers crossed for the weather.

Tess has been ridden out Saturday and Sunday and the old lady is proving to be a challenge as she obviously feels she is 4 again! She has never been a novice ride when ridden by adults (she senses if you put a child up and is a dream) and has proved challenging for daughter on both hacks a little more than forward going at times. She will go out next weekend as well in an effort to improve her manners a little.

A while since I updated, hsd it been yesterday it would have been quite a positive one - as it is poor Nuts has had a set back overnight - it was wet and very windy here overnight she was in the paddock on her own next to tess and this morning had one of her muscle trembles ( its been a while) and is walking with her back leg inwards again and struggling - have spoken with the Vet and hes coming in the morning - she was doing so well - today I had planned to walk her out on the road for a few minutes to see how she went - she was much better in the field and on track for hopefully being sound into winter - this is my worry now - will see what the vet has to say in the morning - if she has to go in then I am going to have to find a way of keeping her off the door - not sure how she will cope stress wise - it may cause more problems than what she has -shes eating okay and nickering when I go to the field along with the others - a bit light on poos today - so keeping an eye on her-
shes pulling at my heart strings!

Acorn is well - hes put 5kg on - I need to get him into work - I had planned this week - but i have managed to do something to my back - so I am walking a bit like Nuts today -typical when I have the week off and much to do.

Charlie is fine as is Tess -

well the Vet has been to Nuts, he is seriously impressed with her weight loss and how well she looks and congratulated us on
her management to achieve this -he was the first to attend her when we got her weighing in over 100kgs more than she does now.

he gave her a good and thorough examination - she has arthritis in her stifle on o/s - no suprise there much as we suspected - result of an old injury , he did find it strange that she had become more imobile after the weight loss than when she was carrying too much - normally you would expect the reverse - however the conclusion following discusion is that there is possible stretching to the ligaments on the hocks due to the large fat areas she had and as that fat has reduced then the ligaments need to tightened and stregthen to maintain the joints during movement - exactly the reverse of what we had with Acorn when his front ligaments/tendons tightened due to the upright heels and when we dropped the heels during remedial he struggled to walk until they adjusted and why he was done sypathetically - this would be born out by the lack of the extra growth on that o/s outer heel that James found when he checked her last week, so basically her ligaments/tendons need to strenthen and rebuild
and he can see no reason why they shouldn't repair sucessfully to give her good mobility - the Arthritis its a case of managing
for now its 1/2 a bute a day (split into 2 x 1.4 as we have been) and leave her on 24/7 turnout and continue with the inhand
walks in the field - so basically everything I have been doing to continue - but we have the diagnosis now - the muscle tremors are related to the arthritis - nothing sinister- so we carry on as we are and make sure no weight gain, I am hopeful barring any setbacks that we can get the hocks sorted befor winter in which case she should cope better over winter as we will only be managing the arthritis. the other limbs are unaffected.

Nothing much has changed since last update - the boys went out for a long walk today - Acorn was very forward going and would have gone further however I have not been very well this week and suffering with my back and hip, so no riding and walking has been quite painful - its feeling a little better now no doubt it will be for when I have to go back to work on Monday.

Nuts is much the same - slow in movement but seems a little looser and standing straighter - a pair of old ladies hobbling around we are!

The heifers and Calves have been moved into the otherside of the hillfield today - Tess was a little upset at first (cow's are her nightmare) but she settled after a while , she will be fine in a couple of days - Charlie is fasinated with them especially the little ones.

Ours were fascinated with the highlands when they first came down off the fell, now they don't seem to bother, apart from this morning when one of them was staring at us from some bushes across the way, he just moved slightly and madam jumped a bit.

All back to normal at the field now, the Cows have been accepted by Tess, she was the only one bothered by them - the calves run up to the fence in the morning when I arrive, the buckets attract them - the last calf was born in the field on Sunday night- so its been fun watchingit get more confident over the week.
Other than Nuts all doing well, Shes improving slowly, up and down days with regards to stiffness but at least the weather has been good this week so shes been warm in her joints - I have the Grandchildren staying overnight so sods Law its going to rain in the morning when I had intended tacking Acorn up for them! Sunday should be okay so I'll see if daughter will bring Emm then.

My back is just about recovered now so if not I may tack up for myself...........

Well it tipped it down all day Saturday as forcast so no riding - Sunday Emm came again and she had a nice hack out on Acorn up to the next village - he was a good boy - he no longer trys to head down for the grass and they managed some nice trot work out on the road.
She took him into the field when we got back , this is the area she is struggling with now, to be fair I can understand him not wanting to work in the same field he eats in but needs must and he will have to get over it! She managed to keep him walking around the paddock doing turns and attempting a figure of 8, a few nappy stops but she persevered him through them and he did give in eventually so she could continue - We had the little Maxam saddle on - contact is not so close as the saddle pad and I don't think he feels her leg so much, but Emma liked it out on the road, I think she feels a little more secure than on the pad, but she will be using the pad in shows, so it might be a case of the Maxam for Hacks and the pad in the field or school, we will see, if she can get him going in the Maxam enough for a local show then I am happy enough to splash out on a brown one for him as the fit is good, don't think I will get a good deal as I did with this one though - £60 Brand new! I will keep an eye out on ebay see what comes up, if I do get a brown saddle then I might decide to sell the little 12" suede show saddle as the 14" is fine on him, I have been reluctant to let the 12" go as they are like rocking horse poo but can't see us needing it again really.

Nuts has gunky eyes now, so I am bathing them and she has yet another first at 20yrs young, a fly mask, she has taken to it without any issue, Acorn hasn't attempt to take it off which is first for him, anything with Velcro is a magnet to him, will see how they are in the morning if no better I will ring the vet to see what he thinks. Shes a bit stiffer thanks to the rain on Saturday and then damp overnight,
daughter has given me some exercises to do on his back legs so we will start short twice a day and increase when she feels comfy, to be fair she can pick her back legs up nicely, we have more trouble with her n/s front as she struggles with the weight transference on to her o/s hind. I have purchased a little 4' 3" rug for her which should be here this week, its got a little padding in , this might have to go on overnight when its cold/damp to try and keep joints warm.

Charlies feet with being left long to help him with the bruising he had are flaring a little thanks to the weather, good job farrier is here next week.

Tess is Tess and other than a fly bite which is having to be treated is fine.

A challenging time for Nuts as we try to get her arthritis management right - we are I believe making progress despite the 2 degree temperature over night and the damp in the morning - I have managed to get hold of a 200g 1200d Shetland Rug 4ft 3" and she has had it on 2 nights now (off during the day as its dry and sunny) its a brilliant little Rug (so much she is getting a spare so we can change in winter to ensure shes kept dry) and shes less stiff in a morning now, last night I put the magnetic wraps on over night on her backs and her legs where lovely and warm this morning and she was even less stiff than the previous morning - I took them off this morning and put them on her fronts this morning for 1/2 hour whilst I did the paddocks - she has had her liniment rubbed in and she gave me the n/s front this morning with less reluctance and its bending better - shes getting her massage exercises on all 4 legs twice a day ( only a count of 5 for each at the moment) but if it carries on improving for a couple more days daughter has said to increase to a count of 10 on each for a couple of days, we can then increase in 5 increments once she is moving freely we will then up the exercise - she is getting walked round the paddock in a morning and night before we do the exercises to warm her up a little, she walked much better this morning. Her Eyes are still gunky despite the bathing and the fly net during the day so I am going to ring the Vets see if they can give her something to help, they are much better than they where buts its green so we are looking at some infection I suspect.
I have ordered a couple of magnetic bands that can be left on 24/7 , they are adjustable but suspect they will need some tweaking to fit her
properly on the fronts - shes dense boned so hopefully they will fit the backs fine, getting things in miniature is hopeless, small pony is the best you can do and then adjust - wish these firms would remember that the tinies can get the same injuries and illnesses as their larger cousins.

Acorn and Charlie are fine, full of it.

The Flies are back out and Tess is rubbing on the floor again, she has a patch on each wither so I am applying the sudacream twice aday and putting fly spray on, her winter coat is coming in now so that won't be helping.

The magnetic bands have arrived and looking at them they are definitely going to adjust down to Nut's size! well pleased, I will fit them tonight and see how she gets on - have heard good things so hopefully this is going to be a big help for her! they are supposed to help throughout the body, maybe I should strap one on and hit my back!

newrider.com