Opinions on pelham bits?

I use a Pelham with double reins as they were intended, that way they can be very mild until you actually need something more severe. My girl hates jointed bits but occasionally a straight bar snaffle isn't quite enough for me not to have to really pull so a kimlewick or Pelham gives me the flexability. I don't like the use of roundings, it takes away so much from the functionality of the bit.

Reactions: Kite_Rider
With double reins and a rider who knows how to use them then I think they can be very useful & help teach a horse to soften. Used with roundings they're a blunt tool - brakes or a means to make the head look like it's in a pretty place while the rest of the horse is ignored, Also please use a curb chain, for some reason I've seen tem used without which defeats a lot of the purpose of them.

Agree with above.... and please don't get a jointed one. I really don't see the point if you are using a Pelham for the curb action. And agree, two reins and not roundings.

Agree with above.... and please don't get a jointed one. I really don't see the point if you are using a Pelham for the curb action. And agree, two reins and not roundings.
how does a joint diminish the curb action? Just interested, Jess would never tolerate a joint anyway :)

Reactions: Keatley7119
Can you give us more information.
What are riding in now, why are you thinking of this bit, ie what are you looking to achieve.

I thought a Pelham was trying to do two jobs. Snaffle and or curb. You would choose the mouthpiece your horse goes well in and only use the curb if needed? Or am I wrong?

Reactions: Kite_Rider
Can you give us more information.
What are riding in now, why are you thinking of this bit, ie what are you looking to achieve.

I thought a Pelham was trying to do two jobs. Snaffle and or curb. You would choose the mouthpiece your horse goes well in and only use the curb if needed? Or am I wrong?

I was wanting to use it to encourage lowering my horses head when doing flatwork, not to enforce it just encourage.
If she was to like the bit and works for her I might use it for say 2 weeks and go back to the bit she is in.

At the moment I am riding her in a french link snaffle

how does a joint diminish the curb action? Just interested, Jess would never tolerate a joint anyway :)

I could be wrong but my thought is that the curb, needs something solid to brace against - that leverage from the rein that brings the curb into action - and you have a jointed bit, then to me that clear signal when the curb rein is used can be softened because the bit will move in the mouth. It's like roundings can also confuse the signals.

Not sure I have explained that very well :p

At the end of the day, bits are very personal to the horse so I also say whatever works!!

@domane that was my understanding too but I was struggling to find the words to explain it. In my eyes a jointed pelham acts like a 3 ring - as does one used without a curb chain.

I was wanting to use it to encourage lowering my horses head when doing flatwork, not to enforce it just encourage.
If she was to like the bit and works for her I might use it for say 2 weeks and go back to the bit she is in.

At the moment I am riding her in a french link snaffle

It can help encourage that but please be very sure you're riding leg to hand to achieve it, it's very easy just to put them in a false outline rather than properly working over the back.

I could be wrong but my thought is that the curb, needs something solid to brace against - that leverage from the rein that brings the curb into action - and you have a jointed bit, then to me that clear signal when the curb rein is used can be softened because the bit will move in the mouth. It's like roundings can also confuse the signals.

Not sure I have explained that very well :p

At the end of the day, bits are very personal to the horse so I also say whatever works!!
Yes I get what you mean, I think it certainly does reduce the clarity in terms of curb action but some horses prefer that so I wouldn't totally exclude it, jointed anything tends to give more independent control of each side so they have their place, of course it depends what type of joint you have too.

@domane that was my understanding too but I was struggling to find the words to explain it. In my eyes a jointed pelham acts like a 3 ring - as does one used without a curb chain.
I'm not sure how it becomes similar to a 3 ring gag by being jointed when it doesn't have a sliding (gag) mouthpiece, I can see it if used without a curb as the leverage would lift it but with a curb it should be blocked from elevating???

I'm not sure how it becomes similar to a 3 ring gag by being jointed when it doesn't have a sliding (gag) mouthpiece, I can see it if used without a curb as the leverage would lift it but with a curb it should be blocked from elevating???

I don't think a 3 ring has a true gag action anyway, but that's a different issue. The reason I say that is the action of the curb chain, unless it's fitted very tightly, is largely bypassed with a jointed mouthpiece so al you end up getting from the "curb" rein is poll pressure.

Reactions: Jessey
I don't think a 3 ring has a true gag action anyway, but that's a different issue. The reason I say that is the action of the curb chain, unless it's fitted very tightly, is largely bypassed with a jointed mouthpiece so al you end up getting from the "curb" rein is poll pressure.
I'll have to look next time I see one :)

Reactions: carthorse
With double reins and a rider who knows how to use them then I think they can be very useful & help teach a horse to soften. Used with roundings they're a blunt tool - brakes or a means to make the head look like it's in a pretty place while the rest of the horse is ignored, Also please use a curb chain, for some reason I've seen tem used without which defeats a lot of the purpose of them.
This

newrider.com