NO CONFIDENCE

Hi
Sorry to hear about your injury. It sounds like you should try riding the most gentle horse you can find until you rebuild your confidence. You could also ride on a lead to prevent the horse from bolting. Hope this helps.

Therese's advice was excellent in that you can rebuild your confidence by riding a more "forgiving" horse; one that will not bolt with you! If possible, ask for the same horse until your confidence returns. Good luck and please don't give up!

Cynthia's point is very valid. A lot of posts do have a 'shelf life' and there isn't much to be gained in reactivating an old thread. Please do not be offended if I remove your posts to keep the board current.

Over the Christmas holidays I will go through the whole board and delete those messages which are no longer relevant or just out of date. Messages with useful tips, help and advice etc will be kept and/or made into archives.

I hope that makes it clear.

Mike

I know what you feel like. Last spring, me and my dad went riding and my horse flipped her head back, hitting my head, and reared straight up. Somehow I fell under her, and her hooves missed my head by only a few inches. So I hear - I remember little. I no longer ride that horse, but got a gentler horse to ride for a year, and this year I got a greenbroke horse to train. She has started bucking (is it the horse or me??) and now I'm a bit intimidated by her. When she reared at county fair, I started BAWLING!! I got so upset - I'm freaked of horses rearing and such now. I have no instructor - can't afford it and no one close enough. Ideas, anyone?
Reiner

First of all, best of luck. You may not feel it but you've shown a lot of courage to get this far - some instructors simply don't realise how much nerve it can take to get on that horse.
You need private lessons with an instructor who is prepared to take you at your pace - but at the same time one who realises when you are ready to proceed even if you haven't quite.
I once had a lady in her 50's who wanted to ride but insisted that I lead her round on a 13 hand pony until she felt confident to go solo on something larger. This leading round the school lasted for 3 lessons - then she suddenly decided she was okay on her own - and she was! Hasten slowly!

guys, guys. i'm sure that Gail May, the original poster, is long gone by now, a full NINE MONTHS after her initial query regarding confidence.

i'm sure your replies can offer encouragement for us all in times of need, but please don't resurrect dead threads; just start a new one if you want to impart some oft-needed wisdom!

i'm sorry, it simply drives me batty to see new replies to long-dead threads! chalk it up to way too many years on the 'net, but we all have to learn the rules of netiquette at some point. it may seem nitpicky, but... it's not. so there. ;>

-cyn

newrider.com