need new saddle but not sure on sizing

E.Flash0206

Jan 24, 2022
i need advise desperately, back in 2012 my parents brought me a beautiful (actually handsome) Welsh Cob x Australian Pony he is 12.2hh but i am 5'2", i have no idea what size my current saddle is but now that i'm almost 20 it's getting a little small for me and a little tight for my gorgeous boy, i'm in Australia and i was just wondering if anyone could please tell me how saddle sizing works and what size we would need,
we thank you in advance,
Emma and Flash
13063278_1194062730606499_5329597926350091926_o.jpg

I suppose there's little chance of getting a saddle fitter out there? The trouble is we really can't say based on photos - and he is gorgeous - because fit depends on so many things.

If you can get a saddler out that's your best bet. Next best would be to google how to take a saddle fitting template, do that and send it to a saddlery who could then advise you based on what you've sent. Or treeless saddles seem to be more flexible on fit so may be an option. Does your cuttent saddle not have any markings on it to suggest brand (look on the pins on the front of the saddle) or length and width? The size ones are often stamped on the leather under the flap.

Best bet is definitely having a saddler come out to fit a saddle, there is so much to consider it’s difficult to do it not in person.

English saddle seats are measured from the pin at the side of the pommel, diagonally to the center of the top of the cantle, that gives you the seat size. Then there is also the bar angle and rock to consider but you can’t measure those once the saddle has been built around the tree, which is why trying them on is best. Sometimes you can also find a 17” (eg) seat on a 16.5” tree, which allows a bigger rider size on a shorter backed pony, but again without trying it’s difficult to know if that’s what you might need.

newrider.com