How tall are you? and how big are the horses you ride?

Just over 5ft 3, and just over 9 stone (depending on how much choc I've consumed) and regularly ride a 14hh native and a 15.3hh heavy weight cob. In my lessons I ride from 13.2hh-16.3hh, feel best on 15.2hh light to medium weight but to be honest will ride just about anything size wise!

I am only 5'1 and I ride/show a 14.1hh, 15.1hh, 15.3hh, 16hh, 16.2hh and a 17.1hh horses/ponies that I own and I also ride/show a 13.1hh, 13.3hh and a 17.3hh for my coach! I like being short with long legs, I am mostly leg! Lets me ride the ponies but the bigger horses as well!

I'm 5'2" (158cm) and ride anything from 12.2 hh to 17 hh that is at the yard. Mayoral is about 14.3 - 15 hh and I ride him most. Then Faraon is bigger, I'm useless at guestimating size and I've never measured him so I'd say he's about 16.2hh.

I'm 5'10 and my horse is a MW 16.2hh.

As I'm quite light I can ride anything from about 14hh upwards but may look a little silly with my long legs :D

I'm 5'7 and I ride a 15.1 cob (who's also the same round his lovely roundy tummy!) and a 16hh and still growing, mare that is, not me.
Best fun ever was on my 14.1 pony with a fantastic whizzy pony-brain.

I'm 5'3/4 and 8 stone. I've rode anything from shetlands to 17.3hh hunters.

Lately I've been riding a 12.1 welsh a x, a 14.2/3hh dales x fell, a 15.3hh clydes x and a 15.3hh shire x

Last edited:
I'm 5ft 8, weigh 8st 10 and ride from a 12.3 hh (when I was younger, I was around 7 1/2 or 8 stone then) and now I ride from a 14.2hh to a 17hh...

I'm 5ft 5 and Polly is 14.1hh,and really not that stocky, but she can carry my weight easily...She is an Arab x so it's not something i would expect, especially from a 23 year old mare! Maybe i am a short rider, Big horse combo, because i will seem short when Jody, reaches her Full height of 18hh. :D

I'm 5'4" and our 2 are 17hh and 16.3 (but they are really the same as the 17hh has very prominent withers). Both TB's so not too wide though!

Like riding tall horses - don't like falling off tall horses :rolleyes: :D

Recently got back from Egypt where it is common to see a full grown man and his son both riding on a scrawny little donkey little bigger than a Labrador dog.
Often they are tethered in the blazing sun all day when there is shade only a few feet away.
One horse kept slipping down in the street onto his back knees* because the wagon he was pulling was far too heavy for him to get enough traction.
*OK I know it is not the right word.
Unless someone is criminally obese, it is unlikely that the big well looked after horses in this country are going to come to any harm.

Hi there Lulu. Great thread. Everyone is answering your question, but there must be a reason for you asking it??

I was just curious what size horses people ride and what height they are because I was thinking if I attempt to look for a horse after my exams next year, I was wondering what sort of height.
Thing I might be going for something betweeen 14.2hh - 15.1hh. Don't want anything to big because I won't be able to get on it from the floor.

Austin at my riding school is about 15.2hh and I have got on him from the floor but don't think it did his back very good.

I mean there is some mountain blocks at my RS but say I feel off while I was out on a hack and there isn't anything to stand on to get back on, I'm a bit stuffed. lol :D

Anyway, thanks for all your replies :)

Being a geriatric, I usually mount by block because the joints are not so supple any more. My weight is 72kg = 158pounds. OK for 5'9".
If out, it is possible to make things easier by lowering the stirrup to a more manageable level and correcting it when mounted. Another trick is to find a five barred gate to climb on from.

I'm 5'6 and the pony I am bringing on is 14.2 at the withers, she has a lot of muscle wastage though so she looks more like 14hh! I ride anything from her up to 16.2hh :D

Well, I'm short, but I ride *tiny* ponies to very big ones, it realy gets to me when people think I can't handle larger horses. it's how skill and well you handle horses that affect your riding, not your size.

newrider.com