How much do you pay for grass livery and D.I.Y?

Asima

May 17, 2008
Wales
OH is finally going to rent stables or fields out.

How much do you pay, with basic facilities?

And how much would you pay for grass livery, pretty bog standard, 10 acres, limited grazing available, fields are rotated, cross grazed, hay available for them if needed, secure tackroom, access to good hacking. All fields are sloped or on a hill though.

And then how much would you pay for D.I.Y livery, decent stable, with same grazing etc

Any help greatly appreciated :)

for just grazing, ie fields alone, but 2 massive fields, approx 6 or 7 acres...£50 per month BUT this is for the fields, not per horse! ;)

Previous to this I was paying £18 per month for DIY livery, with stables, schooling field, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
brand new stable/ individual turnout, hay and straw provided all very well maintained £22 a week. wooden stable, reasonable grazing £12.50 a week.

Our 4.5 acre field with very basic facilities i.e. water!! is £90 a month shared between 3 of us and we sort everything else out between us and split costs 3 ways. one of the sharers had a shelter put in a few years ago otherwise its proper DIY and in the summer we section a school off which works well as it needs to be divided anyway then otherwise v.fat horseys!!
around here full livery can be anything upto £500 probably more in some places and grass/part/working livery etc falling anywhere between £120 - £400 so I'm happy with my £30 a month field!:)

DIY I pay £150 a month. Hay & Straw included and we have 300 acres of off road hacking, floodlit all weather school, XC course in summer.

We pay £2.50 a day for stable and grazing can turn out 24/7 if we wish. and unsecure storage. extra £2.50 a month to use tackroom. Cheap hay and straw from farmer

I haven't found a livery yard with grass livery. The land prices in this area are extortionate so by offering only diy with limited turnout you can get twice the number of horses on a piece of land. That's why so many yards have limited turnout nowadays.

If I thought I could go diy with unlimited turnout but with facilities and great hacking I think I would....I'd always said I wouldn't in the past!

I rent fields now.

It works out at £20 per acre with other maintainance costs on top of that. That's cheap for round here though.

For diy round here I'd expect to pay £22-£30 a week.

i'm about to move to a yard with 24/7 individual turnout in large paddocks (apporx 1acre)that are managed by them (chain harrowed etc) - hay included - full use of facilities inc sand arena (soon to be floodlit!) and grass tracks round the whole estate to ride on with no road work - £19/w DIY
or with a stable - £26/w for 20weeks and £19/w for 32 weeks per year - hay and straw included... assuming you only use the stable over winter months and turn out 24/7 over summer but still retain stable for your sole use.

£80 a month DIY for my boy, good hacking but no menage, I can use the fields that are unoccupied and as long as I do not churn them up. Daily turn out during the winter and 24/7 turn out in summer, lovely stable with hay and wood chip direct from owners(at a very reasonable price).

I pay £20 per week for every day turnout, but they must be in by 4.30, and they can't go out till 12 on Sat and Sun. This is only cos the YO panics (unnecessarily:rolleyes:) about the field getting over-grazed. This rule only applies to the mares. The geldings are in a separate field (four of them in about 8 acres) so they go out and come in whenever they want, although overnight turnout is not allowed. There's a small outdoor menage and a field for us to ride in, but all the hacking is roadwork.

Im now paying £25 a week for grass livery, huge fields for my 2 & some really nice hacking & decent menege.
DIY at same yard is £37 I think.
Pretty average prices for this neck of the woods :)

newrider.com