Health Blog 2015

jovi_y2k2

Apr 5, 2002
South Yorkshire
Another year, another chance at a healthy lifestyle!

New Year inspiration is with me at the moment, but really want it to stay and make permanent changes this time. I turn 30 in May and I don't want to carry on being unhealthy into this new decade!

Goals for 2015:

Make conscious healthy choices for meals and plan ahead.
Cut out sweets and takeaways, limiting to a once per month treat
Increase exercise and get fitter in preparation for returning to riding.
Get back in the saddle!

First mini goal is to lose at least 2 stone by my birthday which is 17 weeks away. This is so achievable as it's less than a pound a week!

Reactions: Trewsers
You can definitely do it jovi!!! I've finally shed the other half stone. At long last I can once again wear my favourite black jacket! yaye. How did I do it?! Well, I have to say cutting out all snacking combined with extra yard chores and smaller evening meal portions. I had to force myself at first because I was still hungry but now I am eating less and getting fuller. Its been a long time coming for me and I so want to maintain what I've achieved. One of the greatest incentives for me was when my waist actually started taking shape again! So vain I know! But now I've managed it I intend to stay this way. Not keeping snacks in the house is a big help too.

Not a bad day yesterday. Managed a good walk, did a bit of Wii fit and logged everything I ate.

All the goodies are now gone from the house so it's a bit easier to cut out the sweeties!

The 2 weeks over Christmas and New Year weren't good for me food-wise. I ate far too much junk. However I don't feel I put on all that much weight. I'm starting to eat more healthy foods now (I need to phase out the junk food or I just end up binge eating). Back to the gym tonight now the Christmas/New Year timetable is over with, I think I managed to get to one class the whole time!

I don't have any big aims. I'd maybe feel better losing about 1/4-1/2 a stone or maybe just tone up more but I really want to improve my fitness and I know that my weight may stay the same or increase if my muscle increases so I don't want to set myself any weight related goals as such!

Good luck!! I am going back to group on saturday. Aiming for 2 and a half stone by april - 2.5 a week.

You know, this probably sounds bizarre but since losing the stone I feel better physically, I seem to be walking faster up hills and I have more energy all round. Its probably all in my head!lol

Good luck Dannii!

It won't just be in your head Trews, if you pick up a sack of feed that weighs a stone and lug that around you'll soon realise why you can walk a bit faster! Another reason why I want to lose weight, just to get around easier and be fitter!

Like Trewsers I lost weight - I was spurred to do the 5:2 diet by Wally. Two years on I feel that after doing that diet I have found it marginally harder to keep the weight off than if one goes on a conventional e.g. Weight watchers diet. Five days eating anything you like does not prove healthy eating.
However, fasting 2 days a week is relatively painless, so will try to get it down a bit more.
Any recommendations for using the wii fit would be welcome because ours now thinks I am about 20 years older than it thought I was a couple of years ago. Part of the problem is that I dont understand the mental tests it sets me to click on various figures - so score very very badly. If I understood the mental task, I believe I could perform it.

On the Wii fit I don't tend to use the tests, just do the activities like step aerobics, yoga and the like. I also have a game, can't remember if it's on the wii fit disc or Wii Sports Resort but you can do cycling, running, skateboarding and it really works your muscles and gets me puffing! But then I'm not very fit at all.
I also have a couple of the Just Dance and Dance on Broadway games, that's fun and gets you moving about. You don't need the wii board for that.

I'm starving! Trying to hold off having dinner until 1pm, doesn't help that the office is freezing today! Trying to warm up with a cup of coffee and hoping that'll stave off the hunger for a while

It doesn't help that the office is freezing today! Trying to warm up with a cup of coffee and hoping that'll stave off the hunger for a while

But it does help. Staying coolish and not having high central heating is now said to burn calories. Dress for winter too. My dad was a heating engineer he would be horrified at current central heating levels and kids running around in T shirts.

Good luck with the healthy eating( + smaller portions) that's what I used last year to lose weight..

My plan for this year is to get the stone off that I put on since my fall and over Christmas and lose another 2-3 stone this year. I am only planning loosing 1-2 lbs per week it soon mounts up :D

Smaller portions have def worked for me. I feel so much better and once I began to take shape I had no desire to return to my bigger meal sizes. I think my appetite has shrunk too!!

I need a major kick up the bum. My eating habits have become atrocious, and really dangerous too I guess. I'm just exhausted and so so busy but need to start eating proper food. I have chocolate for breakfast, nothing or sweets for lunch and then nothing for dinner or just beans on toast and then more junk after. Can't seem to break this awful habit now! Which is stupid, I was doing so well

Well I spent 2hrs 30min at the gym this morning doing Body Pump, Body Attack and a bit of abs work and a wee 15min on the cross trainer to waste some time in between classes. I've had a super healthy lunch of an omelette with broccoli, red pepper and baby spinach with a sprinkling of cheese and some tomato soup. Got homemade chickpea and chorizo stew for dinner tonight too.

Ale, I go through (or hopefully went through) some really bad eating phases. Living alone seems to have made me quite prone to them. It is hard work having to do absolutely everything for yourself and have some sort of life! I found myself reaching for junk food because it was either ready to eat or very quick to prepare. I'd buy a multi-pack of chocolate or crisps and eat most, if not all, of them in one sitting/day. I would be in a rush so I'd go to the drive through at McDonalds and get food I could munch on while I was driving. I'd have super noodles for dinner because I just couldn't be bothered to cook and all I had to do was put the noodles and powder in a dish with some water, put it in the microwave and come back to it in 5min (also minimal washing up). The thing is that you do get a taste for it and then that makes things even more difficult to get out of it. I find that the only way I can stop is to ease myself off it gently so I'd start of by changing one meal to a healthy meal and after a few days to a week I'd swap the junk for another healthy meal and so on until I was having 3 meals (or 4/5 smaller meals) every day. I still allow myself a little bit of junk food because when I cut it out altogether I turn into some ravenous junk-food monster and I will eventually cave and sit and binge on junk food while watching films/tv. I've had to do this the past week because over Christmas I didn't eat a lot but what I did eat was really unhealthy (like you... chocolate for breakfast, jelly beans for lunch, maybe a takeaway for dinner). The other thing that has started to help me get back on track is getting back to the gym. I have aims to eventually do all the hard moves in one of my classes. I want a more toned stomach and arms. Every time I reach for something like chocolate I'm going to remember those aims and how much more difficult I am making it for myself by eating junk food. If you give your body the right fuel you will perform better and recover quicker and have more energy. Don't let your body fool you into thinking that you are tired or lacking energy so you need a sugar/caffeine boost, there are healthier ways to give your body energy but you might have to start being a bit more prepared and carry some healthy snacks with you so you don't go and buy sweets. I have to (roughly) plan my meals for the week and organise myself. I'll cook a couple of meals and store them so I just have to reheat them when I want to eat. You do loads of cycling and don't you run 10ks/half marathons? If you've signed up for something like that use that as you aim, try to beat your personal bests and when you want to eat junk think of how much that will hold you back. There is nothing wrong with the odd bit of junk food every now and again. I'm going to allow myself a takeaway/eating out once or twice a month and a little sweet treat every day if I want them.

I like what you've said Rubic. I totally agree about allowing a tiny bit of junk every now and again. I definitely think that my managing to lose a stone has been down to eating smaller meals, healthy meals but not saying never ever to junk food. What happens with me is if I say a big no to any type of junk I crave it and can end up binging on it. Much better to allow myself a little bit or even just tell myself that if I really want some I can have some. That said, emptying the cupboards of bad snacks has helped too.

Reactions: MrA and Rubic
Thankyou for the advice rubic I really appreciate it and I will try! I'm feeling rub down again with a bad throat and sore ears, just so tired and having to cycle in the bad weather at the moment isnt helping. Think I'm just so run down due to eating so terribly so its my own fault really, but tomorrow I'm going to have at least one proper meal and some fruit or something. Know I will feel better for it just so hard to stick at, especially as I seem to keep getting a bad stomach when I eat properly but maybe that has passed now.

Reactions: Rubic
1lb down! Should have been a bit more but the end of the week kind of went to pot, best laid plans and all that!
Taking Rubic's advice I have a healthy lunch of soup and fruit to snack on, at least 1 out of 3 meals are good today! Tea I'm hoping will be Quorn cottage pie, need to stop myself being so lazy in the evenings!

newrider.com