Equestrian research

gniadaklaczka

Jul 15, 2016
Hello!

I am gathering information about equestrian industry in England for my master's thesis. I would be really grateful, if You could help me with my assignment and answer a few short questions concerning horses (eg. What is the cost of keeping a horse, attending a ridding lesson, etc). It would help me get a good diploma grade :)

If You can provide me with any information, please let me know!

Thanks in advance!

That is great! Thanks :)
Could You tell me how much do You earn plus minus? I need this to know how much does a person in the UK has to earn to afford horse ridding.

That is great! Thanks :)
Could You tell me how much do You earn plus minus? I need this to know how much does a person in the UK has to earn to afford horse ridding.
I don't think many people will really want to divulge personal info on a public forum, I know I wouldn't.
I also think that your earnings in relation to owning a horse are kind of irrelevant as their are so many variables.
Good luck with your degree though and ask away if to have any general questions.

Reactions: Trewsers
As KR says I don't want to divulge my earnings on a public forum! I don't mind answering general questions but I doubt if anyone will want to give you such personal info.

We never divulge our income. But I do have an annual budget for riding and have never actually spent that amount.
I am a RS rider and can tell you that in an urban area where land costs are high, it is cheaper to ride at a RS than to own a horse. That is because if you are ill or on holiday, you have no weekly cost at all.

Hi, most people needing things answering for dissertations etc just make one of those free surveys on survey monkey. I'm sure if you made one of those, we'd all be happy to help out and you'd end up with a lot more results which would be easier to review? xx

Reactions: carthorse
To calculate the annual cost of riding you can look at the charge list on riding school sites. Prices are usually higher at weekends or evenings after 5 or 6 p.m. I should add we always have private lessons. Group riding costs less but you dont have the same choice of what you do in your riding time.

Remember that most riding schools offer some sort of discount if one pays for a whole block of lessons in advance. e.g. if you pay for 10 lessons you get a further lesson free. At low times of year our school gives regular customers a further discount too. I ride twice a week but my OH learned to ride and went on for years riding just once a week. So that might cost about £2,000 per year. The only additional cost is clothing and boots, hat and body protector or air jacket. Unlike the owner of a single horse, RS riders have a choice of horses with a horse always available.
I dont know what it costs to belong to a Golf Club and to play golf which many retired people do - but my OH reckons that if I had taken up golf, it would have cost him more. Swimming or using a gymn might cost less.
But apart from fitness, riding gives a person beneficial contact with animals. The cost of keeping a pet - dog or cat - apparently adds up to more than one realises and could come near to the £2,000 he spends on riding.

Hi!
Sorry for such a question, I am aware You are afraid of revealing this information. I will create a questionnare, but just not yet, and I need to know what type of peole can afford horse riding, or having ones own horse. I know the prices of riding lessons etc. Would You mind giving me an information via email how much an average rider earns? Just an example, I need a number :)
And also I would like to know what are the problems that You come across in stables? It can be something like problem with finding an appriopriate stable, finding a date for your ride matching to the instructor's timetable, or anything that comes to Your mind?
Thanks!! :)

To calculate the annual cost of riding you can look at the charge list on riding school sites. Prices are usually higher at weekends or evenings after 5 or 6 p.m. I should add we always have private lessons. Group riding costs less but you dont have the same choice of what you do in your riding time.

Remember that most riding schools offer some sort of discount if one pays for a whole block of lessons in advance. e.g. if you pay for 10 lessons you get a further lesson free. At low times of year our school gives regular customers a further discount too. I ride twice a week but my OH learned to ride and went on for years riding just once a week. So that might cost about £2,000 per year. The only additional cost is clothing and boots, hat and body protector or air jacket. Unlike the owner of a single horse, RS riders have a choice of horses with a horse always available.
I dont know what it costs to belong to a Golf Club and to play golf which many retired people do - but my OH reckons that if I had taken up golf, it would have cost him more. Swimming or using a gymn might cost less.
But apart from fitness, riding gives a person beneficial contact with animals. The cost of keeping a pet - dog or cat - apparently adds up to more than one realises and could come near to the £2,000 he spends on riding.
Thanks! Your reply was very helpful :)

There's no such thing as 'the average rider' - riders vary from retired people to working people to stay-at-home mums, all with different levels of income. There's a perception that it's a rich person's sport, but that is not the case. The median wage is likely to follow the median wage of the UK as a whole.

Reactions: Gimp
Yes, of course I don't want to generalise, but to some point - I have to.
What about thee problems You can notice connected with equestrian industry?
Thanks for being helpful :)

great ! could You give me Your email adress or facebook contact to ask You a few questions?
If not the first thing is: do You see any problems, things that would need to be changed in the stable organisation or in the equestrian industry? Can You think of something? I don't have anything concrete on mind.
Thanks one more time :D

Rather than look at how much people earn, wouldn't it be better to start the other way round and see how much it costs to keep a horse on various livery options? You could get average costs for DIY, Part livery and full livery, then factor in average mortgages, living, childcare costs etc. and work out how much you need to earn to own a horse and have a moderate standard of living.

newrider.com