Does anyone else find this horrifying????

Extreme pyschological pain is as real and tormenting as physical pain, so for an unhappy animal bewildered by its own outbursts ...

Well said. I would contend that we can know nothing of what is going on in that animal's mind and it is our duty to release it from the restraints we must necessarily place on it for our own safety and that of other humans and animals, and provide it with an easy death.

Even the best efforts of psychiatrists, therapists and the pharmaceutical industry, together with intervention and support from family members, social workers, the church, volunteers and others, leaves an ever-reducing, but still significant, number of people with psychiatric illness which cannot be treated effectively.

How much less do we know about treating animals with psychiatric illness?

Should we leave an animal to suffer - and suffering it most undoubtedly is, as you say so clearly - just because we are unable to treat it?

Maybe this will be the last post on the subject, as this has gone on and on for over a week now.... but I think whatever the owner of the horse does, she doesn't do lightly, so good luck to her and I know that I'm not the only one in saying that I wish her well in whatever she decides to do.

:)

I think if the horse is genuinly dangerous, which it sounds like it is having it PTS would be one of the better options. Because if you sell it or give it away there is always a big chance that a dealer may get there hands on it and sell it for something that it isn't. Saying that there is a chance that it may have a good home but I think it better not to take the risk of this horse seriously hurting someone or worse!

Where are all these wonderful homes that are able to cater to dangerous/problem horses?

Unfortunately those who maintain there are many such homes available never seem able to supply even the briefest of contact details for the kind people who provide these homes, as we have seen so clearly on this thread.

When I was looking for a problem pony earlier this year, I was inundated with offers. Euthanasia has to be the best option for dangerously-disturbed animals - anything is better than hawking them round the countryside, offering them in desperation to any passer-by who shows an interest.

i still stand by my offer , and im not gonna give out contact detail on an open forum but will quite happily pass it on in a pm

I for one would be grateful for your details. You can certainly PM or email me through the site, and your details will remain confidential. I will of course want to visit your premises myself, and take up references. As I am semi-retired I have plenty of time to do this.

I will be looking for another problem pony over the winter months. There are so many available that I can afford to be very choosy, so If an owner were willing to pay transport fees - and, of course, if the horse can be transported without undue stress or risk to itself or others - I would be happy to act as an intermediary once I have checked things out for myself.

i still stand by my offer , and im not gonna give out contact detail on an open forum but will quite happily pass it on in a pm

A nice idea, but as I pointed out earlier and got completely ignored, THE OWNER DOESN'T WANT TO GIVE THE HORSE AWAY for reasons already stated ad nauseum!!

Not being funny, but I do wish people would read the whole of a thread (or better still, the thread on the other forum the the actual owner posted) before they shove their two pennorth in.

newrider.com