Coronavirus

We might not have a vaccine for mers and sars but they didn't erupt quite the same as this. I don't think it's a good comparison. I don't remember a lockdown or masks or even any talk of them when they first came to light. The covid 19 is very different. Anyway, I read something the other day and I think anyone doubting the situation would do well to do this "anyone who doubts it's a serious thing and is really just the government blowing it out of proportion go and work on a covid ward and help out if you think it's nothing to worry about". Yes that's what they should do the none-believers.
Absolutely this. ^^

Take the border measures as an example. Only NZ citizens / permanent residents and their families, critical health workers and some other essential workers have been being allowed in since the end of March, and every person who arrives goes directly into quarantine ("managed isolation") for 14 days and isn't released until they have had two negative test results.
I was talking with someone who has relatives in Malaysia. They are the same quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks. Not one of your choice either. You go where you are put and you cant leave the hotel.
Not here you are told to go home and isolate. How many people do i wonder.

I bet not that many do it.

The further briefing didn't really talk about anything I do anyway.
The fine for big parties will be $500.00
For the party itself then 500.00 for each person there.. this is on the host side
The guest's ALSO fined 500.00 each
That may get people's attention.
The mandatory asymptomatic testing is for workers especially close contact
Ones.
All break rooms in businesses should be closed.
And all the same mask criteria said yesterday.

I was talking with someone who has relatives in Malaysia. They are the same quarantine in a hotel for 2 weeks. Not one of your choice either. You go where you are put and you cant leave the hotel.
Not here you are told to go home and isolate. How many people do i wonder.
There was a young woman on BBC news a few weeks ago, she’d been to Spain and said she was going on holiday and she didn’t care about isolating when she got back, she just needed a holiday after lockdown, she admitted though that when she got home she only isolated for two days as she ‘felt fine’ and we wonder why it’s rampaging through the UK again...........

I know someone who said she isolated on return from a country where it was required - well apart from when she went shopping, and to get some fuel in the car, and to take the dogs a walk. But she'd isolated. Not.

I know someone who said she isolated on return from a country where it was required - well apart from when she went shopping, and to get some fuel in the car, and to take the dogs a walk. But she'd isolated. Not.
Dumb or what.
Not right if your supposed to be isolating. But i can understand walking the dog if you are walking at 6am or 9pm where you are unlikely to meet people at that time and if you dont have to touch gates or stiles. Especially if you are in the countryside. But shopping and petrol station are a plain no. You are touching alsorts.
I questioned myself touching the pump handles myself filling the car on monday. I sanatised my hands before getting out the car to fill up, and again as soon as i got back in the car. I wonder whether anyone is sanitising them at all during the day. Usually one car goes another arrives. There are no gloves at the garages. Some do have sanitiser but i havent seen people using it. Maybe they have there own bottle in the car like me.

They are now adding more towns to the tier two.
For goodness sake, just do a ruddy full lockdown for a few weeks and stop p*****g about!

As for needing a holiday after lockdown, that's the problem. After. We never came out of lockdown. We only ever moved to level 3 from level 4. It was circulating in the community with a low transmission. Where are people getting the idea that opening things up meant we were done with it, it didn't. We didn't get back to normal, some are still furloughed!

That's what annoys me too @newforest , we never were out of lockdown restrictions but people acted as though it had gone away. I don't actually agree with a nationwide full lockdown when in some areas cases are so low, those areas should carry on under current restrictions as they'll help the economy which provides much needed funds. BUT enforce the restrictions that are in place - have a police presence out and about that breaks up groups, enforces mask wearing in shops and on public transport etc, checks pubs, reminds people of social distancing etc etc. And hand out fines for breaches, don't just warn.

Foreign travel needs to stop, or if it carries on then everyone should quarantine for 14 days on return and the quarantine should have spot checks of officials randomly knocking on doors. Travel to different areas in different level of lockdown should also be banned except in emergencies - I know that's harder to monitor but I'm sure it could be done with public help. Reinstate shielding, we cannot throw the most vulnerable away. I hate to say it, but in the short term stop worrying about rights and start thinking about responsibilities.

Here gloves were like toilet paper for a while non existent.. then started to show up again. LYSOL spray and wipes really never came back.
I already had some thank goodness but
I stay on top to get more continually
I use them when I go out anyplace.
I don't think gas pumps here EVER get sanitized.
They put ankle monitors on criminals here if they are on house arrest etc.
The danger is much greater to everyone from people that go out when they are not supposed to. If they did that to people that flaunt the rules maybe others would take notice and stop the crap.
It gets VERY TIRING to try to be safe and do all the right things while others think screw the masks and distancing I want to party and belly up to the bar in crowds.

Reactions: Trewsers
I agree @carthorse , I really would rather have local lockdowns than a national lockdown. I suspect a national lockdown might happen anyway, but surely the less time lower risk areas are locked down the better IMHO for the economy ans . I think its fairly easy to check if you are in a high risk area or potentially travelling to a high risk area

I do think some checks are already being done on returnees - I'm fairly certain, it happened to a fellow livery. But they need to bee consistent, I feel.

Completely agree with reinstating shielding. I do appreciate the mental health implications, but it wasn't mandatory - my OH did go out at times partly for his MH but also to keep up his physical health as advised by his medical team - but it protects those that are vulnerable that need and want to be protected from having to commute and work.

Seeing the mayor of Greater Manchester arguing about his area going into Lockdown is flabbergasting to me. Why? Surely a local lockdown is not negotiable.

I must admit, I've never experienced a shortage of gloves for petrol stations (I think once they were out but there were plenty of paper towels to use instead).

I agree with the local lockdowns, however we as a nation aren't doing as we are being advised. Saying that, all the restrictions aren't helping ate they, it's spreading like it did last year, more in the North and London.
The areas involved are arguing about the local lockdown, the public are having huge parties and I do wonder unless you shut shop for a few weeks, we have lost any chance in getting those who aren't listening to listen.
It's easy to check, but there is no consistent weekly bulletin, it's mainly from I can see a pm deciding against sage, and other mps are now not on board. It doesn't look good does it.

Our economy really can't handle another complete lockdown (though I too wouldn't be surprised if it came to that), so I think local lock downs are the way to go but they are going to have to get much more heavy handed with the enforcement for it to work.

I agree with the local lockdowns, however we as a nation aren't doing as we are being advised. Saying that, all the restrictions aren't helping ate they, it's spreading like it did last year, more in the North and London.
It wasn't here/spreading last year. I do think the restrictions work IF they are adhered to, otherwise it would be spreading willy nilly in all areas and it isn't.

Reactions: PePo and carthorse
If a garage doesn't have gloves I use my own, rightly or wrongly I feel filling my car with fuel is probably one of the riskiest things I do. I wonder if it'll start to be hard to get hold of gloves?

I dreaded doing it. We had hand gel and gloves in the car and made sure we came straight home and limited touching anything and washed hands etc. Thankfully we won't have to fill up for a long time as we only go into the village once a week and the truck isn't getting used.

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Why the threats about increasing the lockdown level for Manchester? Just do it, if the mayor and local authority don't like it then tough luck. I do NOT understand the delays we've had all through this pandemic, all it's done is given people a chance to act like idioms and spend a few days doing the things that are about to be put on hold. What need is there for prolonged notice anyway? Why not say at 5pm, for example, as of 7pm all pubs will be shut, or you can't meet people indoors, or travel from overseas without quarantine?

Our economy really can't handle another complete lockdown (though I too wouldn't be surprised if it came to that), so I think local lock downs are the way to go but they are going to have to get much more heavy handed with the enforcement for it to work.

It wasn't here/spreading last year. I do think the restrictions work IF they are adhered to, otherwise it would be spreading willy nilly in all areas and it isn't.
Sorry I meant earlier in the year. The North did have more hospital cases.
We didn't use the nightingale. We didn't build it until scarily late.

It's population dense places that are being effected more though isn't it?

Why the threats about increasing the lockdown level for Manchester? Just do it, if the mayor and local authority don't like it then tough luck. I do NOT understand the delays we've had all through this pandemic, all it's done is given people a chance to act like idioms and spend a few days doing the things that are about to be put on hold. What need is there for prolonged notice anyway? Why not say at 5pm, for example, as of 7pm all pubs will be shut, or you can't meet people indoors, or travel from overseas without quarantine?
I don't understand the delays either, you're either doing it or not. Why give people three / four days notice? Doesn't add up. It's either happening or not.

I
We were told about local lockdown. So I don't get the big drama about not following it.
But then my business isn't hanging by a thread.

newrider.com