Coffee & Cake Shop Chat

Ouch to stabbing yourself @horseandgoatmom. Thats what i did 4 weeks ago whilst trimming the sheeps feet. My thumb is still healing. Havent been able to finish the rest as its been too painful.

Well i said it was pie surprise. Wasnt what i expected. It was left over spaghetti bolognese sauce with some added carrots.

Chunky I was lucky it turned out to be pretty superficial when I went in to wash and clean it well.
It was in fleshy part below my thumb.

How do you secure your sheep to trim?

We can halter everyone except Lincoln.

We hold them along the fence. I can get the outside front and both back then they have to be turned with the other front foot
To the outside.

Its probably the one chore I totally dread.

Ouch to stabbing yourself @horseandgoatmom. Thats what i did 4 weeks ago whilst trimming the sheeps feet. My thumb is still healing. Havent been able to finish the rest as its been too painful.

Well i said it was pie surprise. Wasnt what i expected. It was left over spaghetti bolognese sauce with some added carrots.
So it was a spag Bol pie!

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Yep and i had the rest of the spag bol pie for tea tonight. So spag bol 3 nights in a row.
Oh dear. There is only so much spag bol you can eat! I love it, but even I'd struggle three in a row! lol
Having said that we had bird curry last night. Mr T is making another tonight - this time madras, last night's was vindaloo. It's all good though :D ?

We never had anything when we had the goats. Like you stand them against a wall or gate to allow them to balance. Do the one side, then swing round to do the other side.
We still do that with the rams and if i have to trim the odd lame ewe. I dont have the strength or the technique to hold under the chin and flip them onto there rump. I can do it with lambs if i need to as there small enough.
When we brought the sheep we invested in a turn crate. The only problem is that the sheep i have are woolless so when they lay upside down they find it uncomfortable, so i tie on a sponge cushion to the top of the crate to give them some comfort. With the crate its supposed to be a one person job, but we find its better to have two people trimming. One doing the fronts the other working on the backs. It doesnt prevent them kicking and thrashing if they decide to be so and so's.

This is how we were taught to restrain the sheep at uni, is it even remotely correct? Hand under the chin though, and we didn't do them against a wall just wherever they were. Then the other person would lift the feet and trim. working-with-animals-sheep-hero-2.png

That made me laugh. If only. Most of mine would be off. That only works for the tame ones. Even my semi tame wont stand like that. Dont try that with my rams you would get a lovely nose bleed or maybe your nose rearranged from a set of horn as they rear.

Chunky do you have a photo of the turn crate????

What Ale showed is similar to what we
Do .

Lincoln is the big problem worrying about his neck.
He was 2 in the spring.
He bumps and plays with Theodore he acts fine you would never know he ever had a problem.
The vet had said there would always be cautions and worry as he was growing that everything grew at the same rate and not pinch the spinal cord etc.

He went paralyzed twice as a baby from inflammation so its always a big worry in the back of my mind.

No i havent got any on my phone currently @horseandgoatmom. I'll get you one on the daylight.
I wouldnt want to turn any goat if its had spinal issues. Far too risky. You can also get a cradle thing as well for sheep and goats, but youve got to get them in it first.

Ouch, im sat here, browsing, the cat is laid on my lap. All of a sudden he jumps off my lap, catches my toe with his claws and shoots out the lounge up the hall. In that split second i see a mouse out the corner of my eye run out the lounge into the hall too.
Mouse is well and truly anialated. Just wish he hadnt caught my toe in the process.

Thanks chunky.
I have to be careful with him.
That spot may be the strongest part of his body now but you just cant chance it

Omg its pouring down buckets
No end in sight and blowing hard.
This is going to keep up for hours.
I hope we don't loose power

I was just out got totally drenched but everyone is fine
INCLUDING THE SILLY TURKEYS LOL

I WAS trying to tweek by the gates we did try to make channels etc and its flowing like rivers coming down so fast and hard but it will need a bit more work.
There are those couple of problem spots.

I turned around and there were the turkeys passing thru behind me so i hung out in Andi's stall a few minutes to not disturb them.
20201130_145925.jpg20201130_150031.jpg20201130_150057(0).jpg20201130_150031.jpg20201130_150115.jpg

I agree if i go past and someone has made an effort and they look pretty and it puts a smile on my face. Some just overdo it, to almost compete with the neighbours.

I rode past somewhere different at the weekend and they had a rainbow up in the window. Ok i did think well are you just trying to be smart thats the largest one ive seen in a window. Was pretty much the whole lounge window. But it was bright and colourful and made me smile

newrider.com