can't sit to the trot or canter

godleystud

Baby Cabbage
Mar 30, 2005
www.ponyaddicts.co.uk
Some horses at the riding school have really comfortable canters that are easy to sit to, others don't and I bounce about and look really stupid also the same case with the sitting trot. Can anyone help? :(

i think maybe a little bareback work could help. it really helps a sitting trot. when i started riding bareback it took a few rides to get enough balance to trot or canter, but i really like it now. if you feel confident give it a try, it could help you.

-meg

You probably do not look as stupid as you feel. With some horses, I feel like im flying up a foot high, but if you have mirrors in your arena, steal a glance if you can - you're not bouncing THAT much really!

And I completely understand what you mean by some horses have really a comfortable canter, and some - its just hard to sit to!

Just try your best! :) Relax, move with the motion. (alright, iknow, that hardly helps, but its really somethign that comes iwth experience - something you gotta figure out on your own, it cmoes with time, i promise). And remember to sit on your BUM...it will absorb the movement for you, as opposed to sitting rather perched up on your crotch. It makes a huge difference!

Good luck and have fun! :D

Do you ride western or english? When I used to bounce at the canter I would take my feet out of the stirrups and force my self to sit. If i felt like I was gunna fall I would hole onto the horn(i rode western) until i got my balnce back. You could also do this with english just be careful in case you lose your balance :rolleyes:

newrider.com