Arab types

Theres this video of magnum Psyche:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mOv-MAqeTXc

It shows some trotting footage..
Oh dear.....I think I could be converted :eek:
I don't know whether its seeing him move you suddenly appreciate him as a horse, but I'd love to see him in real life. I bet he'd actually take your breath away. I do find the length of his neck and the way it is set on slightlys strange though. But boy can he trot! I still much prefer Padron and Padron Psyche though. I've just been trying to find footage of Padron Psyche on YouTube, but no such luck. Anyway, I wanted to demonstrate something. Watch the video above, and then have a look at this:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RYOzTgHGfX0
The top one is of Magnum Psyche and the second one is of his grandsire Padron. For anyone interested in the difference between types, this is interesting (or so I think :D). Both stallions are approximately half Russian, but look how fine Magnum is in comparison with Padron, from the slenderness of his body and the length of his neck and legs. Padron is a lot more compact (I prefer him) and heavier through the neck and body. The difference here is caused I think by the fact that Padron is Russian/Crabbet and Magnum Psyche is Russian/Spanish (its not exact, but you could probably consider both stallions to have a 50/50 split of the types without being too far off the mark). Padron passed away in 2007, which is why there are a good few sentimental videos of him up :(.

Last edited:
He he im gonna post a few pics of Indie - he is crabbet/egyptian and gorgeous but i dont think he looks very araby especially compared to the other pics posted.................

June 08
S5031685_edited.jpg

August 08
S5031985.jpg

August 08
S5031717.jpg

October 08 - please excuse the fly!
S5032141.jpg

December 08
S5032287.jpg

Don't forget that most of the Spanish Arabians today trace back to horses bred at Crabbet and also have Old English through a Cecil Hough bred stallion Razada.

The 15th Duke of Veraga Don Christobel Colon imported 3 stallions and 13 mares from Crabbet Park between 1927 - 1930 most of whom were descendents of Skrowonek. He also imported 4 Argentian bred Arabs also descended from Crabbet bred stock.

The other foundation stock for the State and private studs in Spain came from Poland, Russia, Turkey and Egypt.

The ultra-refined look of the Spanish Arab is also based on the fact that they were bred from a very limited gene pool of some 637 individuals post the Spanish Civil War.

The Yeguada Militar (the state Military Stud) acquired many of the exisiting stock and began an Arab breeding programme. The Spanish Arabian is noted for its kindness and docility mainly due to the fact that any horse, mare or stallion with an uncertain or dominant temperament was culled from the breeding population.

There is a Spanish bred stallion at my trainer's yard. He is possibly the most perfect Arab I have ever seen and has the most angelic of temperaments. In fact he is so quiet and docile that he is used for beginners and RDA.

Last edited:
Here is Send Court stud in the UK - lovely Spanish Arabians and not a parroty mouth in sight!

http://www.spanish-arabians.co.uk/

nor here:

http://www.geocities.com/szedlisa/pps9_mago.html

http://summerwindspanisharabians.com/Stallions/index.html

But you can here:

http://www.egyptianarabians.com/stallions/index.html

So just goes to show that ANY bloodline can produce extreme faces with parroty mouths.

I have been involved with Arabs for 35 years it all boils down to personal preference. I like Crabbet and Old English and would chose a good, well conformed straight profile over an extreme head any day.

Kc Mac, your horse is gorgeous! I love bays and wanted one when I looked for an arab. Unfortunately, the bay one I had vetted failed and so I ended up with a grey. I'm not sure what crabbet % mine is and I don't know how to work it out but she has polish and a bit of russian in there. She doesn't have an extreme head.

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 14
Found this topic very interesting!! - keep it up!

I don't know anything about Arabs, but when i see one i like, it always has lots of bone but retains what people see as an arab head (obviously dished) No idea what types these would be but locally they always do well round here.

I DO know though, that Arabs make fantstic crosses! I have a arabxwelsh, out of a welsh mare but i never found out the sires name :(

Kc Mac, your horse is gorgeous! I love bays and wanted one when I looked for an arab. Unfortunately, the bay one I had vetted failed and so I ended up with a grey. I'm not sure what crabbet % mine is and I don't know how to work it out but she has polish and a bit of russian in there. She doesn't have an extreme head.

Your horse is incredibly similar to a mare I used to know! Do you know who her sire and dam are?

Thanx i think hes gorgeous but im biased! Yours is lovely - my first arab mare was half polish and mad!! How old is ** girl? Shes got a lovely head - like Indie. Im not keen on extreme heads either.

Will have to find out about this crabbet % cos i have no idea either. Have just looked and Indies great grand mother was polish so he has a splash of most in him!

What a lovely thread:) i love all these pics, HashRouges, my khamis looks just like your grey mare, is she of Blue Domino bloodlines i wonder? She is georgous:D

Excuse the quality these pics were taken on my phone!!

Will take some better ones soon.

When i was trying him out and fell in love with him, he's all sweated up :)
23102008173[1].jpg

When he first came to his new home with his new mummy :D
16112008185.jpg

Not been my day today now i cant find his papers arrrghhhh:eek:
Will let you know when i find them xx

newrider.com