And we’re there...

OMG are those Niko's teeth, really? Where do they come from? Do they fall off by themselves? OMG!

Niko is much lighter built than Charlie (and less fat hrrm hrrm) but Charlie also does an amazing whoop de do when the mood is on him. He prefers a fly buck, with front feet off the ground as well, though he doesn't get up so high behind. I hope they don't do it ridden!!!

Reactions: Jessey
I love caps, they remind me of humbugs. I've just watched your video of Hank and Niko playing - omg Hank clearly has no idea how little he is. He's like the annoying puppy that won't leave the grown ups alone. And Niko is so gentle playing with him, what a sweetheart.

How does your camera work? Do you need electricity and an Internet connection?
They are really fab together, but nope Hank had zero idea he’s little and does irritate everyone with his desire to play, it’s got him into trouble with Jess many a time!

The camera is great, it’s solar and SIM card, and 4 screws to mount. I’ve actually put mine on a pole that I can then attach to fence posts so I can easily move it around when they’re in different paddocks as the night vision only has a 20m range on it.
618E0AD0-048A-4DB4-8502-EE9753DBBEE2.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: Native Lover
OMG are those Niko's teeth, really? Where do they come from? Do they fall off by themselves? OMG!

Niko is much lighter built than Charlie (and less fat hrrm hrrm) but Charlie also does an amazing whoop de do when the mood is on him. He prefers a fly buck, with front feet off the ground as well, though he doesn't get up so high behind. I hope they don't do it ridden!!!
Caps are just their baby teeth which are being pushed out by the adult teeth coming in, you will most likely find some @Jane&Ziggy as they do just drop out but sometimes they can get a bit stuck and need helping along. Niko had been twisting his head to the side occasionally when eating so I knew something was bothering him.
Those caps are the molars, they also have caps on the incisors, Niko has 1 adult incisor and 1 half way in with the cap still on, I’ll try and get a picture later ? you could definitely panic or think broken tooth if you haven’t seen it before.

It’s sooo much fun being a baby ?
And then he thought he’d help with the ragworting, when I declined his offer to help with the bucket

2D3E659C-6098-4C59-BA8E-85B376E7E0DB.jpeg
he apparently thought I was a bit hot and whipped my hat off my head instead ??
No picture of the actual moment due to being busy recovering it from him, but it was my new rider secret Santa hat which has a perfect pony teeth removal tool (aka tassel ?)
5A842523-48EE-4604-ADF2-87EC95DB5CD1.jpeg

Tonight went something like this;
Niko that’s not for you,
Get your nose out of there,
Oi, doors aren’t for scratching on,
No, get out of the shed,
Don’t drag that tyre around with your foot,
No leave the rugs alone,
Don’t play with bricks,
Get your foot out of the wheelbarrow!
No dinner is not ready yet,
Stop pushing that over,
No there’s nothing in my hands or pockets,
Will you just F off!
Jess herds him away with a look of ‘you’ve really done it now’ ?

I know I said I wanted a bigger Hank but perhaps not quite so much of that bit of him ?

• Haha
Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I had to chuckle this morning when I walked up, the 3 boys were tearing around the paddock and Jess had parked herself out of the way just outside the gate in the track down to the barn. The 3 boys went tearing towards her obviously planning to tear along the track and she just exploded in a squealing tantrum, the boys about turned and she was back to sleep, over as quickly as it started ?
Niko definitely thinks he’s one of the little boys, he’d squished himself in their (appropriately sized) hut this afternoon
CA71F04B-AC44-4FE4-976E-7021FB88F65A.jpeg
And it’s really not helping Jess’s mood when Niko is literally stealing the food out of her mouth! I’d just put 5 nets worth of hay in 3 feeders to keep the peace but he had to have hers ?
BF8B5C76-C571-4A23-9894-6A81FCFCC39F.jpeg

I had to chuckle this morning when I walked up, the 3 boys were tearing around the paddock and Jess had parked herself out of the way just outside the gate in the track down to the barn. The 3 boys went tearing towards her obviously planning to tear along the track and she just exploded in a squealing tantrum, the boys about turned and she was back to sleep, over as quickly as it started ?
Niko definitely thinks he’s one of the little boys, he’d squished himself in their (appropriately sized) hut this afternoon
View attachment 105228
And it’s really not helping Jess’s mood when Niko is literally stealing the food out of her mouth! I’d just put 5 nets worth of hay in 3 feeders to keep the peace but he had to have hers ?
View attachment 105229
Things look to have dried out now? Wasn't it the other week you were all soggy there?

Things look to have dried out now? Wasn't it the other week you were all soggy there?
Lol yep 2 weeks ago that was under water, the back acre (nearest the river) is still underwater, but it often very wet which is why I’ve never grazed it. The green bit just behind them/the feeder is also very soggy with a lot of puddles on it still.

Reactions: Trewsers
Ha ha Charlie is just the same, whatever mouthful Mattie has just taken of anything is the best!

I wonder if this is actually a survival technique - I remember Raf learning how to drink from a stream on an endurance ride. He's never been keen on drinking away from home and this particular day it was hot and he was tired. One of the experienced horses went to drink from the stream and after watching and a bit of hesitation Raf did the same, but he wanted to drink the exact same bit of water as the other horse. I think he thought it must be safe if the other horse was doing it. Maybe horses are programmed to copy their elders and it just turns into an annoying baby habit as they get older!

I wonder if this is actually a survival technique - I remember Raf learning how to drink from a stream on an endurance ride. He's never been keen on drinking away from home and this particular day it was hot and he was tired. One of the experienced horses went to drink from the stream and after watching and a bit of hesitation Raf did the same, but he wanted to drink the exact same bit of water as the other horse. I think he thought it must be safe if the other horse was doing it. Maybe horses are programmed to copy their elders and it just turns into an annoying baby habit as they get older!
You’re probably spot on there, they do learn a lot from mimicking their elders!

It’s very interesting to be learning wee mans character, last week I realised he gets exceptionally itchy if he’s too hot (the 200g rug was too much at anything above freezing) and today I learnt if he’s wet/cold he’s a miserable little shit! (The second hand lightweight I got for him leaked like a sieve ?) the little boys got the brunt of his grumpiness this morning being chased off while I found him a dry rug. I kind of wish I hadn’t rugged him this winter but I knew he’d always been rugged so felt mean taking it away, perhaps I’ll rethink it next year.

Reactions: Trewsers
newrider.com