And we’re there...

It’s not that I don’t have time to be with him/them, but when you’re getting all the jobs done it’s easy to forget to take time out to be in the moment with them, to really be with them not just in the same place ?
Yeah I know what you mean about that too - I often end up spending time nailing fence panels back in place / mending / fixing and not being in the moment, yet they are around me as I work (Chloe can be particularly helpful in asking for leg scratches when I'm holding a bunch of nails and hammer!)

Reactions: Huggy and Jessey
This is why I call these 2 the ASBO kids
They were at it when I arrived, and carried on for over an hour, with the occasional drink break when I managed to whip Niko’s rug off.
I feel a bit for Niko as Hank really plays rough, but it was Hank that took a tumble today, they both reared and clashed and Hank was knocked over and rolled right under the fence ? but he got himself out (good job the fence was off) and went right back to terrorising Niko ?
They were both breathing hard by the time they stopped and Hank was dripping, equal parts sweat and slobber I think ?
332C236D-C5F0-4094-8ED1-632E92D500BC.jpegAF9186B7-B255-4913-8BCC-C5227822EAA5.jpeg

Last edited:
At least that should keep there weights under control. Wish my two would play like that.
Yes I had a good feel of Hank yesterday and he certainly isn't carrying much meat right now, his ribs are easily felt and his spine and there doesn't feel to be much crest on him, I might actually have to feed him! and it's going to help Niko get stronger too which I'm happy about.

Yep bonus for Niko. Will build some natural muscle.

I couldnt decided watching the video. Whether each time he went down whether he was just weak, therefore lacking muscle. It looked more like he was unlucky as he was leaning his whole body into hank when playing.

He certainly has a good bond with Hank.

I couldnt decided watching the video. Whether each time he went down whether he was just weak, therefore lacking muscle. It looked more like he was unlucky as he was leaning his whole body into hank when playing.
Hank bites his legs/armpits/ankles (teeth clacking hard too), so Niko has taken to dropping his shoulder on hank or kneeling to avoid it :D

On Christmas morning I planned to put everyone back in together as the ground had dried up enough and the front paddock had taken a hammering. I honestly didn't think much of anything about it as they've all been switching about just fine. I figured I'd let Jess fill her belly on haylage first and give them a fresh strip of grass to minimize any excitement, and that plan worked great and they all settled to eat after a little trot about, until Hank just couldn't possibly contain himself any more ?‍♀️

So there he is running and bouncing around, nipping at everyone until Dan took the bait. Off they charge, then Jess joins in and Niko followed, it was all good fun for a couple of circuits, then Jess got mad. I have no idea why, but she launched into an all out attack on anything that moved. After 10 minutes I managed to get a hold of Hank and that brought the energy down a notch but not entirely, she continued attacking anyone she could get close to. I managed to get Dan and chuck him in a side paddock with Hank, then she really lost her temper and went to have a go at me! I was quick enough through the fence to avoid it ? I eventually managed to switch Hank back with Niko and get her in with Dan and peace resumed, mostly, she's back to squealing and striking at Niko if he so much as looks at her. I decided to leave them either side of the fence for a few days to settle down.

Boxing day was relatively peaceful, but I thought I'd give them another day just to be sure, of course that was the night we got the flood warning. So now I really need to get Jess and Dan out of their paddock as it's likely to flood and it's always a muddy one, but I don't want to put them back away from each other after all the shenanigans of the day before and have to do it all again, so a quick leccy fence to split the front paddock and I put all 4 out there as it's the driest and furthest from the river. Given it was out of routine, in the dark, in 50mph winds, in a bit of a high pressure situation, they were all impeccably behaved to be caught, led and relocated, no silliness at all.

Yesterday I was desperate to get them off the now completely trashed front paddock, so without thinking twice I let Hank in with Jess and Dan so I could catch both little boys together. Hank just wandered around minding his own business and Jess exploded, launching at him biting and trying to pin him in a corner, she is obviously not happy with him for something! So I stuck the little boys in the main field together and left Jess and Niko split on the front paddock. Jess had a complete melt down at that, galloping about, squealing, striking, and screaming her head off, an hour later she's a sweaty mess. Eventually she settled down a bit, and this morning she was fine, so I'm really hoping by tomorrow she and Niko will be back to being friends and then maybe I can finally get them all back in one place....if we aren't totally underwater by then!

Blimey @Jessey you certainly have a hard time of it sometimes, frustrating and worrying too I imagine.
It's just life with a Jessica, she can be unfathomable sometimes. I do wonder if she got mad because she started to feel off (between her heart and breathing troubles running about probably isn't the best for her), her answer to most things is to bully everyone into submission, she probably doesn't realize it's having the opposite effect and making her feel worse and winding everyone else up so they run more!

I moved the little boys back in the main field last Sunday, Jess was thoroughly pissed and got hormonal and gave Niko a rough week, I felt so sorry for the poor sod yesterday he looked so lonely. I managed to switch those two so Jess couldn’t stand gazing out of the gate and this morning the tide had turned ? this morning they went back together without too much drama ?
C34F6BB5-458D-4B2F-A8FE-181135D53B50.jpeg
and this evening they’re snoozing together-ish under the leylandii shelter
4A129EB4-A19B-4377-84C6-24A82962266C.jpeg
I’m loving my Christmas present of a PTZ camera that I can check from home!

Reactions: Trewsers and Huggy
I’m sure Niko’s had another little growth spurt, he seemed taller today when I was switching rugs, which reminded me I still haven’t put a stick on him, really must borrow one to get a measure of him ?

During Jess’ high jinx yesterday Niko joined in a bit, he has this huge and oh so casual buck on him ?
C05B7471-E424-43A2-BDB9-94B7F01026F0.jpeg089DE2A4-AD06-4FED-94A0-B5C3FADFFF5E.jpegBF5588D1-5F6F-4757-8416-3C80802E8D05.jpegCC4862F8-3A2A-4AC8-840A-039B5710058A.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
Niko had his MOT & teeth checked today, we did Jess first because if he’s nervous he seems to learn by watching. He didn’t flinch at the electric rasp (on her) but watched closely whilst ground tied for most of it ? For his turn he was really good being poked and legs checked/flexed and heart and lungs checked, and even managed to trot up, then he had a little sedation so we could make the teeth a not so terrifying first experience, and he was good as gold, we had a really good poke around and removed a couple of caps
CEE5AF8D-1CA0-4140-B6DA-1AEF1D2B9010.jpeg
And lots of compliments from the vet about how good he was ?

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
I love caps, they remind me of humbugs. I've just watched your video of Hank and Niko playing - omg Hank clearly has no idea how little he is. He's like the annoying puppy that won't leave the grown ups alone. And Niko is so gentle playing with him, what a sweetheart.

How does your camera work? Do you need electricity and an Internet connection?

Reactions: Jessey
newrider.com