Advice for a rider in NYC.

Ghcst

Nov 10, 2019
I’m currently 19 years old and I’m about to turn 20 in December. I’ve always had a passion for horses and I plan on going to transfer to a college out of state to study Equine science. I’ve been riding in multiple stables in NYC since I was 14-16 and it’s been my dream to jump as well as lease a horse in the future in order to learn about horsemanship. The first barn I went to is a therapeutic riding stable (GallopNYC) and I understand their services are limited, however I began to learn how to canter 4 years after riding there. After that there were new instructors and although I told them I had experience, they would teach me the basics of riding. I went to another stable known as Jamaica Bay Riding Center as their services were not as limited. I’ve gone to about 6 lessons there, but the 5 out of the 6 times I’ve been there, the instructors sat on the fence and were uninterested in giving me any tips or instruction. The rings are also very crowded and you are unable to hear anything as there are about 5-7 other riders and instructors in the ring. I ended up trying one more time to go to a stable known as Bronx Equestrian Stable and the instructor berated me for my riding skills and told me that I more or less sucked at riding. I love getting constructive criticism however I took this to be quite insulting. I get really anxious and after that experience I really dreaded going to lessons. I wanted to go to a summer camp in order to learn how to tack and I thought about improving my skills through these sessions but I think I’m too old for it as I haven’t found any camps that allow individuals above 16 years old. I’m beyond grateful for getting the opportunities for these lessons, so my question is, should I give up riding until I can move to another state to find better riding stables or should I continue my search for a stable that better suits my needs in NYC or around one of the five boroughs. I’m sorry if this sounds a bit pathetic, I’ve just always loved horses and the idea of riding because there’s no greater feeling than being on a horse or near one so I found all of this to be disheartening. Thanks in advance, I apologize if I made any grammatical errors.

Hi and welcome, sorry I've nothing useful to say, most of us here are in the UK but while there is @horseandgoatmom in the USA I'm not sure if she might be able to advise.
Hope you find something suitable and don't give up, it's a dream worth hanging on to.

Reactions: Ghcst and Trewsers
Welcome Ghcst.

I grew up in New Jersey.
I'd say DON'T GIVE UP..
When i took lessons at places Omg so many seem to think your not looking to
LEARN just for time on a horse. I had 3 of my own horses at home so it really was annoying.
I was bad at first putting up for too long.
DON'T do what i did...not saying much.
One if the worse ones I rember said go jump x y z to a b c what ever the course was.... I went back ..hiw did i do
I don't KNOW ...I was talking to Jamie..
I was furious what was the point .
I should have said something right then but did not..
Another place very first lesson trainer says circle thru center etc etc..
I come thru the horse catches view of himself in the mirror from that angle totally freaks out and bolts off...
Her comment was ohhh you handled that well...
SHE KNEW that was going to happen...
How can you trust a trainer that will pull that on you.
I would inquire other places within your driving range tell them directly you want to LEARN and watch a few lessons..
IF the trainer is talking to others during a lesson to someome else they will not pay attention in your lesson either..
You will also see if they run on the nasty harsh side.. to say your riding sucks is
Totally unacceptable.
If you try a lesson or 2 if your not getting
Proper attention remind them you want to learn if it falls on deaf ears keep looking.
Wow you did not tack up.
The places I took lessons at people had to tack their own horses.
The right place is out there sometimes
Its hard to find.

Welcome Ghcst.

I grew up in New Jersey.
I'd say DON'T GIVE UP..
When i took lessons at places Omg so many seem to think your not looking to
LEARN just for time on a horse. I had 3 of my own horses at home so it really was annoying.
I was bad at first putting up for too long.
DON'T do what i did...not saying much.
One if the worse ones I rember said go jump x y z to a b c what ever the course was.... I went back ..hiw did i do
I don't KNOW ...I was talking to Jamie..
I was furious what was the point .
I should have said something right then but did not..
Another place very first lesson trainer says circle thru center etc etc..
I come thru the horse catches view of himself in the mirror from that angle totally freaks out and bolts off...
Her comment was ohhh you handled that well...
SHE KNEW that was going to happen...
How can you trust a trainer that will pull that on you.
I would inquire other places within your driving range tell them directly you want to LEARN and watch a few lessons..
IF the trainer is talking to others during a lesson to someome else they will not pay attention in your lesson either..
You will also see if they run on the nasty harsh side.. to say your riding sucks is
Totally unacceptable.
If you try a lesson or 2 if your not getting
Proper attention remind them you want to learn if it falls on deaf ears keep looking.
Wow you did not tack up.
The places I took lessons at people had to tack their own horses.
The right place is out there sometimes
Its hard to find.
Thank you for all the tips and the advice! It’s much appreciated and I’ll be sure to do all the things you’ve listed.

If you watch other lessons before or after yours it can be really helpful if you have the time.

Someone may have a problem you are struggling with and its good to see what corrections are given.
BUT MOST OF ALL ... you really see no one else is perfect either..

Never feel you can't ask questions or request feedback.

Your money for your lesson is just as
GREEN as anyone elses and your lesson time should be devoted TO YOU.

Crowded rings are not fun its easy for huge confusion to start with trying to hear your instructor.
Its even worse if there are just general riders as well.

I don't begrudge any riders but some things are not right OR SAFE.
Like you mentioned crowded ring ...
Several lessons going on...
One lesson I was in had all that AND a kid on a pony not in a lesson in the mix.
Your trying to have a fruitful lesson and keep track of her too.

I'm headng to close jumps on the rail and there was an offset one very close almost ready to take off.
THE KID
Goes in between and stops dead in front of the first jump. I HAVE NO PLACE TO GO..
Thank God we managed an abrupt stop.
It was very SCARY for me.
THE KID AND THE MOTHER WERE OBLIVIOUS.

At least the place did tell the mother for everyone's safety she can't be in there wandering around during jumping lessons.

Its awesome you want to study EQUINE SCIENCE and a good trainer should be
THRILLED to work with you.

Reactions: Huggy and Trewsers
newrider.com