2023 Hacking and Riding

I am eating as normal because though I have a cough, I am otherwise well. Not running a temperature. And I am a great cook and am greedy. Exercise level down and food intake normal means weight gain for me. Many of my family have become obese in middle and old age, and I need to watch it carefully. It isnt just vanity and fitting into my clothes. It is staying light enough to ride. If you look at vids of people who are still riding late in life, they are not overweight.
And I hope to be back riding next week.

The ground is still hard and slippy, so just walked out in hand. He got a bit silly halfway round, leaning into me and throwing his head up, so I made him stand every time he did it. He settled eventually. The vet came for their vaccinations, and of course he's overweight, but he's a bit lame as well. She said give him 2 weeks off, but that seems extreme to me - I'll check him every couple of days, but not take him out while it's so hard. I brought up ph levels with regards to his tantrums, and she poo pooed it, but I think it was marypoppins who brought it up, and articles back up what she said. I've sent off for some strips, and the results might be interesting.Screenshot_20230125_131216_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm getting so fed up with not riding. I did wonder if I'd be lucky today, but it's foggy and and with the ground still being below freezing that means sheet ice :( . Turning out was scary today, I was relieved once we were off the yard and concrete track safely.

Still not very nice weather here. On Thursday the arena was somewhat thawed so I set up a fan of 3 trot poles to play with. On Friday I set out for a hack but I cut it short after encountering some icy patches in the shade.

Saturday was a SJ clinic. I picked up S on the way. Despite it being freezing fog the venue managed to harrow the arena and get it usable As we had only jumped once in the last 6 weeks we kept the height down to 90/95 but it was still an interesting course with fence 5 only 3 strides off the arena wall and a double followed by a 180 turn into a combination. Harvey was a bit too enthusiastic so I wasn't always in control.

Sunday was frozen again so I went to help YO at a SJ competition

Fence 1
i-8mKRC6S-X2.jpg

Fence 3
i-79jdNJ5-X2.jpg

Fence 5 which was a lot closer to the fence than it looks
i-QG8rwwR-X2.jpg

Slightly out of control at fence 7 (this is the one with a 180 turn into it
i-jcj7bkM-X2.jpg

Last fence
i-RVt8BsW-X2.jpg

Just to show how foggy it was - I've edited all of the photos above. Here is an unedited one
i-f5tnXm4-L.jpg

Schooling
1 hour 15

Hacking
1 hour
3 miles

Totals
Hacking
24 miles
6 hours 30

Schooling
1 hour 45 minutes

Still not very nice weather here. On Thursday the arena was somewhat thawed so I set up a fan of 3 trot poles to play with. On Friday I set out for a hack but I cut it short after encountering some icy patches in the shade.

Saturday was a SJ clinic. I picked up S on the way. Despite it being freezing fog the venue managed to harrow the arena and get it usable As we had only jumped once in the last 6 weeks we kept the height down to 90/95 but it was still an interesting course with fence 5 only 3 strides off the arena wall and a double followed by a 180 turn into a combination. Harvey was a bit too enthusiastic so I wasn't always in control.

Sunday was frozen again so I went to help YO at a SJ competition

Fence 1
i-8mKRC6S-X2.jpg

Fence 3
i-79jdNJ5-X2.jpg

Fence 5 which was a lot closer to the fence than it looks
i-QG8rwwR-X2.jpg

Slightly out of control at fence 7 (this is the one with a 180 turn into it
i-jcj7bkM-X2.jpg

Last fence
i-RVt8BsW-X2.jpg

Just to show how foggy it was - I've edited all of the photos above. Here is an unedited one
i-f5tnXm4-L.jpg

Schooling
1 hour 15

Hacking
1 hour
3 miles

Totals
Hacking
24 miles
6 hours 30

Schooling
1 hour 45 minutes
Wow that's some fog there! I think you both did really well working in it!

Feed for work done like you would a horse.
Funny you should say that. I found it so much easier to keep the weight off after I started riding and thought of myself as a horse,. The spanner in the works is Christmas. But it is sub zero and I wouldnt ride in this weather but we walked to the local shops today.

@Huggy how are you meant to collect horse piddle.
On the way back from a ride she tends to stop for a poop making the worming fresh ones easy. But I would need a bucket on hand for piddle.

Popped out briefly as I wanted to see if she could lead nicely in the coupling again. I want to give her the option to be polite.

You know that saying "sods law", well the idea was to let her graze her favourite herb.
In the last 48 hours the highways have been out and taken all the hedgerows back.
She found the odd acceptable piece and walked on, so we came back šŸ˜‚ šŸ¤£
Oops. _20230126_165557.JPG

Robin would like someone come to rescue him. I am now making him wear a corset!
3DCFDAB8-947B-4B3A-8CCC-E38DE3CB9830.jpeg

ā€œPlease rescue meā€
633988CC-FC5D-46CB-BEED-346BD5BD5045.jpeg

Yes it is a spur guard. And no I donā€™t wear spurs. However at this time of year he gets rubs everywhere. Including where my leg goes. So this is to hopefully stop that until his summer coat grows in. I was quite impressed that is stayed in place when he had the best fun a horse has ever had hack today.

@Huggy how are you meant to collect horse piddle.
On the way back from a ride she tends to stop for a poop making the worming fresh ones easy. But I would need a bucket on hand for piddle.
Apparently you can dip the strip once they're done, so basically I have to loiter in the field and pounce when he's peed.

What is her favourite herb @newforest?

Gosh what an interesting thing. How does it work? I wonder if it might help Sid with girth discomfort?
I changed the girth when mine dropped hints.
She likes the wide ones and currently it's anatomical.
She's clipped they're else the hairs get caught up, much happier.

What is her favourite herb @newforest?

Gosh what an interesting thing. How does it work? I wonder if it might help Sid with girth discomfort?
Iā€™m not sure it would as it sits just behind the girth. It is a large elastic band/bandage that goes under the saddle and protects the area where spurs sit. It is very thin but very stretchy and strong (took a while to get it initially šŸ˜‚). They are very popular with show jumpers. They are controversial tho as they are meant to protect agains spur injuries. Iā€™m hoping that it will help for the couple of weeks when his hair gets really brittle before the summer coat comes in. Despite well fitting rugs, changed twice a day and bibs cleaned every couple of days his shoulders rub too at the time until summer coat.
9AC5B248-50BE-4387-819B-8EADD134280D.png

Last edited:
newrider.com