2020 Hacking & Riding Thread

Harvey's tapeworm test came back negative - yay!

A strange weekend. On Friday, for reasons I won't go into here, our weekday groom wanted someone to ride with in the school so we did a bit a bit of pole work and a few jumps. On Saturday it was a short hack and then on Sunday it rained most of the day so the weekend froom and I went and did some jumping together.

Harvey on form as usual - complaining that his water is dirty after pooing in it
IMG_1026_HEIC-XL.jpg

PB134383-X2.jpg

PB134227-X2.jpg

Schooling
1 hour

Hacking
1 hour
3 miles

Totals
Schooling
37 hours

Hacking
83 hours 25
297.1 miles

I went out this morning feeling very nervy - a week off, fresh grass and high winds = ...... a very good boy! Took it easy, and just meandered and all was well, until A STUPID WOMAN THREW A BALL FOR HER DOG RIGHT BEHIND US ?. The dog crashed into the undergrowth and Hogan spooked (his spooks are leap, mini rear, buck). Silver lining - he didn't go anywhere, and settled immediately. The dog walker steadfastly refused to look at us, so she knew what she'd done. Anyway, I ended up pleased with him, for really behaving himself, despite wind, full tummy and stupid people. For once, the weather was nice as well! I love the shaft of sunlight cutting across the pic.Screenshot_20201119-111432_Gallery.jpg

Crikey @Huggy you both did really well! I'd have had jelly legs at that point or when I got off. I remember once one of the first hacks I took Storm on. We were going around part of an estate and suddenly a gaggle of boys came piling out of the clubhouse or whatever it was (football pitch nearby). One lad stood there was we walked past banging the hell out of his footie boots clapping them together right in her face :mad: Amazingly she didn't do that much - I'd not have blamed her if she'd tried to eat him the little sh*t!!! He knew he done wrong though - I can give the nastiest face lol

Got out for a little ride this afternoon. Only about two and a half miles. Billy was having a little melt down and some blokes putting up scaffolding but i got him past.
Nearly home and workman at my neighbours house using an angle grinder on his front drive. Sparks were flying off it. Billy took one look and said no thanks not walking past that. Spun round and took a few speedy strides. I managed to pull him up. Waited till the guy had stopped before we walked past.

Got out for a little ride this afternoon. Only about two and a half miles. Billy was having a little melt down and some blokes putting up scaffolding but i got him past.
Nearly home and workman at my neighbours house using an angle grinder on his front drive. Sparks were flying off it. Billy took one look and said no thanks not walking past that. Spun round and took a few speedy strides. I managed to pull him up. Waited till the guy had stopped before we walked past.
Well done getting past. My neighbour at last place had 8 years worth of building work done. Storm bolted past a cement mixer, angle grinder, digger, compressor, steam roller thingy and an industrial water pump machine. In the end my confidence was so shredded I stuck to the school.:(

We really put ourselves through it, don't we !?

Reactions: horseandgoatmom
Went out this morning. A bit grey, but dry thank goodness! Hogan was a wee bit spooky - no idea why, but it had it's bright side - he was quite forward going. I'm being a bit wimpy still, after his couple of naughty spells in field, and hacking, so playing it safe on what routes we take, until I'm sure he's calmed down a bit. Took a pic, and realising that all my pics look the same - no matter what route I take! So - more trees and leaves folks!Screenshot_20201121-111141_Gallery.jpg

Went out this morning. A bit grey, but dry thank goodness! Hogan was a wee bit spooky - no idea why, but it had it's bright side - he was quite forward going. I'm being a bit wimpy still, after his couple of naughty spells in field, and hacking, so playing it safe on what routes we take, until I'm sure he's calmed down a bit. Took a pic, and realising that all my pics look the same - no matter what route I take! So - more trees and leaves folks!View attachment 104629
I love your pics - great ears and leaves and trees - nothing to not like! (Mine are all the same on the rare ones I do get lol)

Reactions: Huggy
The last two days ive managed a short ride and lead just before dark, with the two boys. Nothing very exciting, and only a mile and a half but at least theyve been out. Chunky is a bit more chilled. Thankfully not trying to stick his nose in the scissor blades whilst im trying to clip Billy. Bad enough risking clipping him with the scissors, without chunky trying to help. I will eventually get a picture of his silly scissor clip. But its working as ive not had to wash Billy once in the last 3 weeks.

4 mile hack on Billy today. Did have to laugh, some walkers stopped to let us go past on the footpath. Billys head turned as he spyed someone holding a banana in there hand. I really thought he was going to grab it. Ive never tried him on bananas, so no idea why he even looked. Think he just thought food. Chunky just got an in hand polework session.

4 mile hack on Billy today. Did have to laugh, some walkers stopped to let us go past on the footpath. Billys head turned as he spyed someone holding a banana in there hand. I really thought he was going to grab it. Ive never tried him on bananas, so no idea why he even looked. Think he just thought food. Chunky just got an in hand polework session.
Hehehe ours love bananas. They are Chloe's favourite and she will do just about anything for one!

Well, 2nd walk round the paddock today. I'm going to do it for about a week, and try to get that this is a work area into his head. Should be interesting. YO said I could lunge him in there if I wanted. After I stopped laughing, I told her that wasn't likely to happen.

newrider.com